Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when a player produces the goods in a game and is outstanding, or for a series of games or a season do we automatically have the right to expect them to repeat theses high standards at least some of the time ,if not every week??

this is just general and i'm not singling anyone out, but when players perform well they should be able to reproduce it more often than not.....and if they are fit then shouldn't we be expecting them to rise to the occasion in every game. was reading articles about greats of days gone by and the consensus of opinion was that fans have a right to expect players to perfrom at a certain level, if a players is outstanding and a world beater one day then they should be able to do it week in week out.

barring injury is this actually possible?? are we asking to much or do we sometimes ourselves make excuses for players who should be giving us more?? if they can produce it one week then why can't they do it every week- or is this being to idealistic??

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Even Zidane couldn't do it every single match. Granted he did it a lot of the time, though.

I think for a player to be world class they need to be on song at least 7 out of every 10 games.

You should be great at least 70% of the time. Only then at the end of a career can you look back & say I was great.

Or am I being too harsh? I mean can any player honestly look back & say played a great match at least 70% of the time.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
Even Zidane couldn't do it every single match. Granted he did it a lot of the time, though.

I think for a player to be world class they need to be on song at least 7 out of every 10 games.

You should be great at least 70% of the time. Only then at the end of a career can you look back & say I was great.

Or am I being too harsh? I mean can any player honestly look back & say played a great match at least 70% of the time.
Meh... a world class player can play 9 rubbish matches and
play a wonder match on the 10th. Continuity isn't necessarily
quality.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
I`m gonna paste this from the Ronaldo`s thread, as you posted a similar post on there and i answered with the following .. You`re talking ingeneral but we all know, Ronaldo is one of them and i will adress him but this goes for every other player :)

So .. first of all we can not generalize this issue. Every player is different, just because some player keeps on his form season after season, you just cannot say that Ronaldo should do so too. There are a lot of things happening behind the scenes, Fergie`s orders might sacrifice Ronaldo`s actual position and this might affect his performance. Ronaldo`s goals were only something extra from his actual work, his main job was never to score goals, neither did we buy him to do so. Ronaldo had lot of potentiality possessed, and he worked it out for 2 whole seasons. So the argument of this being a one off is entirely wrong. Its already difficult to play that good day in day out, let alone 2 whole seasons.
Ronaldo is less effective than he was last season and the one before, that is something no one can deny but no one can argue with the fact that he is still doing a lot of work on the pitch, the amount of goals scored by Ron has decreased yet he still our top scorer this season until now. What else could you wish for? Scoring another 42 goals in a season is possible, but it should never be an expectation.

In my opinion, those great players who said that we SHOULD expect the same should know better than this. We have no reason to give any excuses either as he is not under performing and have no reason to do so. Our problem is that some of us are expecting too much from this lad, as he could not have had a better season than that of last year where he really reached his peak. But football is as it is .. One day you`re making your life best performance, the other day you just can`t make a touch right. We should be lucky that Ronaldo has maintained his utmost ability for two whole seasons which saw us winning everything we could have wished for.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
As Dlan said, even Zidane wasn't amazing every single game. Sometimes you just cant pull out the goods.
The better you are, the more the opposition will try and take you out of the game.
Messi is the most consistent player I think I have seen in my lifetime. He always seems to produce the goods and thats why he is THE best.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Anybody here who actually plays football will tell you that even if you prepare yourself in the correct way every match, go on with the right mentality and play with total concentration, you can't perform the same every game/

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
It's extremely difficult to play at the top of your game week after week, it just doesn't happen..
We can criticise players who dont play well for a series of games, but you cant complain about a player who plays outstanding over a period of games and then has two bad performances in a row..!

I know this thread isn't directed at any player in particular, but im guessing Ronaldo is the name thats gonna pop up the most.. Also Vidic and Evra who were brillant all season (especially Vidic), and then they had a nightmare against Liverpool and Evra was poor against Fulham also..

I agree with Jazz, Messi is an exceptional talent...!
The Guy just performs consistently for Barca in the La Liga and without doubt is by miles the best player in the world at the moment..! He could go on to become the greatest player thats ever played the game..!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts