Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was thinking about players who had major problems,injuries,loss of form, were dumped from big clubs etc who returned stronger and better than before and proved all the detractors wrong who had written them off.

i'd pick 2 united lads, starting with becks after '98, remember at this stage he was established as a star but not as a major world beater on the international stage who had a long and glittering career-it was still all before him to rise to the very top. he could have easily crumbled and become a mediocre player if he hadn't had that massive strength of mind and character that saw him rise above all the abuse and ridiculous criticism that surrounded his sending off to become an even better player. that was the making of him and actually propelled him on to even greater heights.

secondly paul mcgrath, who after he'd finished with united and went to villa, for a bargain price as it turned out wouyld actually go on and not only become even better , but put all his problems aside and acheive great things with villa and ireland. every united fan knew how good he was, but also knew his problems that afflicted him in his private life- add to the his dodgy knees and inability to train and you'd have been forgiven thinking his career might have come to a slow mediocre end. not a chance- he again rose to the occasion, although battling alchohol problems, other personal problems and injuries that would have spelt the end for most players he rose to the challenge and became an even greater legend at league and international level and was recognised by his peers with the player of the year award. if only we could have seen all that happen at OT eh??

any others??

Z

·
0 Posts
Peter Crouch. Scored goals for Southampton in the Premierhsip, then got ridiculed when he signed for Liverpool. I actually thought he did well for Liverpool when called upon and scored quite a few goals for them. Then he got his chance with England and took it well. 14 goals in 31 appearances is a great record, although the opposition wasn't all that great. He's got a decent goalscoring record for Portsmouth now too.

A lot of people underestimated him, partly because he looks like a circus freak :p, but in my opinion he's proved any people wrong and had quite a successful career.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Keith Andrews, one of Wolves youngest captains. Injury led to him going down the leagues, eventually playing a key role under Paul Ince at MK Dons. Andrews followed Ince to Blackburn. Now Andrews is an Irish international

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Phill Jagielka when he was at Sheffield United
:confused: He was great at Sheffield United. That's how he got his move to Everton.
McGrath for me as Scott mentioned in the opening post.

Roy Keane proved a lot of people wrong. He was always told as a child he was too small and wouldn't make it. I bet those scouts feel silly now.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
Titus Bramble to a certain extent! this season anyway hes been part of a Wigan defense that has kept 13 clean sheets and for someone who's been labeled as one of the worst players in premiership history it speaks volumes about him IMO

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
Titus Bramble to a certain extent! this season anyway hes been part of a Wigan defense that has kept 13 clean sheets and for someone who's been labeled as one of the worst players in premiership history it speaks volumes about him IMO
QFT.

Lampard I guess. He gets so much unnecessary abuse form english supporters when he's a truly great player. the claims that he's only been lucky to be in great teams is insane. He's carried Chelsea this season on his own.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
QFT.

Lampard I guess. He gets so much unnecessary abuse form english supporters when he's a truly great player. the claims that he's only been lucky to be in great teams is insane. He's carried Chelsea this season on his own.
He has hardly proved people wrong though? Only non-Chelsea idiots who want to slag him off.
He has been a cracking player since his West Ham days. Consistently brilliant every season.

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
He has hardly proved people wrong though? Only non-Chelsea idiots who want to slag him off.
He has been a cracking player since his West Ham days. Consistently brilliant every season.
He's still proved the 'non-Chelsea idiots who want to slag him off', right? Which is still proving them wrong.

It's a shame, we'd kill for him to be from Ireland.:frown:

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
Beckham has done it, time and time again.
Big Ronaldo.
Ashley Young, who was considered a shocking signing for 8-10m.
Carrick, same reason as Young.
Giggs has done it this season to an extent, with practically everyone saying he was past it last year and should retire.

While we're at it, Lampard is England's most overrated player. Proved people wrong? Proved people right in the WC06. One of the luckiest players ever - get the ball, shoot, deflect off 20 people and have it dribble over the line. Didn't get the nick 'Pinball Lampard' for no reason.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i forgot a certain teddy teddy....great career at forest then spurs but seemingly not very much to show for his time at the highest level in terms of medals , until he put on the red jersey that is

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Our whole team in 06/07.

"Where will the goals come from?" :D

Apart from that, Ronaldo (both of them) and Smith (was very good towards the end of 06/07)

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Carrick.

People said we over-paid, and he's proved himself to be a United player.

If the word 'players' wasn't in the title, Sir Alex would be a good contender, wouldn't he?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Probably Owen Hargreaves for me. I hated it when Errickson used to pick him for England. But after Euro 2004 i loved him. And still do.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Shevchenko.

A lot of people thought he was world class and he
proved them wrong.
Right. Arguing mindset on. :D Actually no. I won't argue. I'll just quote a few facts.

Single handedly dragged Dynamo Kyiv through the Champions league in the late 90's.

Scored a hat trick at Camp Nou for Dynamo Kyiv in 98/99. 60 goals in 117 appearances.

127 League Goals in 208 League games. Serie A Top Scorer: 1999-00, 2003-04

2003 UEFA Champions League. Scored the Winning Penalty. 2003 - 2004 Scudetto.

2004 European Footballer of the Year. UEFA Champions League Best Forward: 1998-99

Serie A Foreign Footballer of the Year: 2000

UEFA Champions League Top Scorer: 1998-99, 2000-01, 2005-06

A.C. Milan second all-time scorer - 175 Goals in 315 appearances.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Right. Arguing mindset on. :D Actually no. I won't argue. I'll just quote a few facts.

Single handedly dragged Dynamo Kyiv through the Champions league in the late 90's.

Scored a hat trick at Camp Nou for Dynamo Kyiv in 98/99. 60 goals in 117 appearances.

127 League Goals in 208 League games. Serie A Top Scorer: 1999-00, 2003-04

2003 UEFA Champions League. Scored the Winning Penalty. 2003 - 2004 Scudetto.

2004 European Footballer of the Year. UEFA Champions League Best Forward: 1998-99

Serie A Foreign Footballer of the Year: 2000

UEFA Champions League Top Scorer: 1998-99, 2000-01, 2005-06

A.C. Milan second all-time scorer - 175 Goals in 315 appearances.
LMAO:rofl:

If that doesn't shut him up, nothing will.

Sheva is one of the greats.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts