Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to cut the rhetoric and get to the point.

There are a couple of areas that could throw up some challenging situations in the season ahead and I hope Sir Alex has all his bases covered, as he usually has.

Let's start with the Squad;

Goalkeepers
Edwin vander Sar has been our best keeper since the great Dane, but had a couple of wobbly displays last season. He's still a good keeper, but age is catching up with him and he flapped at a couple of crosses and miskicked the ball quite a bit.

That leaves us with Ben Foster and PIG. I'm quite a fan of Ben Foster and thought he was excellent at Watford. He made some fine saves in his only performance last season against Derby and he's a tremendous prospect, but still in experienced and not yet the finished article.

PIG is decent cover.

If Foster doesn't develop the way we hope, that position could be a problem area.

Left back
A lot of people have been talking about the need for a right back, but we have Neville, Brown, Hargreaves and Simpson in that area versus Evra and Silvestre on the left. John O'Shea could do a job there, but doesn't necessarily fill you with confidence does he?

Centreback

If (touch wood) Rio or nemanja were to get a lengthy injury, it would mean Wes Brown playing at CB and I would prefer to avoid that situation. Pique might have made a few blunders last season, but over he did well whenever he played.

Hopefully Evans will get some chances and use the opportunity to prove himself at OT.

Right midfield
Thisis only a slight worry, because we have several players that can play in that position, but Ronaldo is out till Ocober and while he is an ungrateful brat, he still is our player.

Having one of our best players out, for three months is definitely not a good thing and I'm thinking Fergie should move to cover that area. If Ronnie stays we have more quality and if Ronnie leaves, we'll already have his successor at the club.

Forwards
This topic has been debated endlessly and the team could use a tall, strong centre forward. Berbatov and Huntelaar have been heavily linked, but as yet still no signing.

Staff

Well we need anew assistant manager, don't we?

Rotation

The amount of games we'll be playing next season we'll give Fergie the chance to rotate. Now this is a good thing, but Fergie has to be spot on about the depth of quality.

Rooney's driving and the how to get the most out of him.

Fergie admitted at the end of the season that he still hasn't figured out how to get the most out of Rooney and I hope he finds out soon and that Rooney will be alive to take advantage of it.

Our finishing and general decision-making

We missed a few sitters and some of the younger players made some bad decisions in and around the final third of the pitch.

They held on to the ball when the should have passed, passed when they should have gone it alone and vice-versa.

If the playes don't improve on their decision-making a lot of chances are going to go begging.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Good post mate, but apparently the reason VDS's kicking was off towards the end of last season was because he had an injured groin.

Our defence
I think the defence is OK, providing Gaz can maintain a high level. Wes Brown is good cover for Rio and Vidic so I have no worries there, except if Neville gets injured/loses his ability. For LB we're fine as we have the best LB in the world, plus Silvestre who I think is stupidly underated as a left back.

I'm glad Pique's left though. I have no doubt that he will become a quality CB, but his pace and mobility is a massive weakness for a Premiership defender. His game suits La Liga a lot more. I remember in the home match vs Arsenal that Hleb just skipped past Pique so many times due to the latter's lack of mobility.

Our Centre Midfield
I don't think anyone can seriously say we aren't well of in this department. We have 5 quality CM's who all offer something different. We have so many different partnerships there that its gonna be interesting to see which one gets the most time.

Our wingers

I think we're fine here aswell. obviously we've got Ronaldo on the right, and Nani/Giggs on the left with Park as cover.
I actually really liked Hargreaves on the right last season, it reminded me of Beckham in that his crossing and energy are brilliant. With all the competition in CM hargreaves might find himself here a fair bit.

Upfront
Providing we get another striker we're fine there aswell. I love the Rooney - Tevez partnership and with a decent break behind him I think Tevez will be brilliant this season. We also have Saha who can play the role of 4th striker plus Campbell, Wellbeck and Manucho providing they all stay with us.

obviously the Assistant Managers job is up for grabs and that will be interesting to see who gets there.

I think the problem with Rooney is that his best position is in the hole, but in the big games we don't play with an 'in the hole' type player. But I think the Rooney of today is better than the Rooney a few years back, its just that when he first joined he was more of an impact player, like Ronaldo is today, but these days he creates the attack. His finishing is shocking though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts