Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carlos Queiroz has been heavily linked to take over as manager of Portugal's national team, following Filipe Scolari's exit.

Whether Fergie's number 2 does take up the position remains to be seen, but at some point in the near future somebody will have to fill that position.

Swansea manager Roberto Martinez and, more bizarely, Steve McClaren have both been linked to become Fergie's assistant, but both seem highly unlikely and hsould be nothing more than paper talk.

I'm not sure I want to put any names out there at the moment, so maybe you can suggest someone to take over as assistant manager when that day comes.

I'm pretty open-minded and the candidate would not necessarily have to be a former red devil. I just want the best possible man for the job and it could even be someone from one of our rivals.

Brian McClair would be a possibility.

He's been coaching for a while now, he played at the highest level and he knows the club inside out.

What say you?

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Choccy, Mulestein, Eric (that would be a dream. Shame he has no experience. His presence in the club would have a massive positive affect on the youngsters.)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I really hope its gonna be Cantona, he's been making a lot of noises lately! that would be the dream, it could happen!!

otherwise I think Fergie will look abroad again, maybe even the guy who left the Scousers recently??? or someone from Italy or Holland (pity ten Cate took a job!), new idea's will be good! I would obv prefer Quiroz to stay, and him and Cantona to be the future management team!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BUT....Cantona wants to exercise his creativity.

Will he be able to do so as the assistant manager? From the interviews I've read with Queiroz, it strikes me that the assistant does a lot of the training and tactical work.

It's certainly not the type of work that would strike Eric as interesting, n'est pas?

·
Registered
99 Posts
i just have a feeling that sir alex will offer king eric the job if carlos leaves. cantona is big enough to take the sir alex's job when retired, but he'd have to wait a few years. what an opportunity to get a feel of how the new school work. it's interesting if paul ince waited a few weeks, I'm sure he would be a leading candidate.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I cant see it being choccy or Ole because they've both taken up new roles as academy director and Reserves boss respectively. King Eric or the dark horse Laurent Blanc, Blanc has the potential to be one of the worlds best managers in a few years aswell.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I would say no to Cantona.

I would love to see him as United in a coaching capacity, maybe a posh role (something like technical development coach or something :p) as football wise, his abilty is in no doubt.

But I'm not sure he would be any good at the management side, eg man-management, tactics, coaching etc.

I think one of the favourites will be Brian McClair, and if we are hiring from within, I think it will be him, although Mike Phelan may be in with a shout. But of course, if we hire from within, thats another position to fill.

I would like Laurent Blanc to be assistant. Hes done a great job at Bordeaux, and I think he is a fantastic coach. and would honestly be the best option. And I think that he could then gain the experience needed to then step up and replace Sir Alex.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Mickey Phelan won't get it.

Mcclair or Muelestein (or however you spell it) from inside.
Most probably the latter, as he helps out on the training pitch anyway.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Stephen said:
Mickey Phelan won't get it.

Mcclair or Muelestein (or however you spell it) from inside.
Most probably the latter, as he helps out on the training pitch anyway.
Yeah.

He won't get it but I just thought that, with him being first-team coach, and a big part of the coaching set-up already, he might be in with a shout though I think it will be Choccy if anyway from within.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Drew9 said:
Blanc in my opnion will be brilliant for us, i would to snap him up before another top European club does.
Yeah.

As I said, I think it would be worthwhile us getting him, a) for his coaching abilities and b) he could replace Sir Alex (and should if he gets the assistant job imo) as I think he's going to become a fantastic manager in future, and his experience of working alongside Sir Alex at Utd would be a fantastic.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Cantona is my choice, yes he has no experience but there's no better place and manager to learn from than SAF and Manchester United

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
manutd004 said:
I would say no to Cantona.

I think one of the favourites will be Brian McClair, and if we are hiring from within, I think it will be him, although Mike Phelan may be in with a shout. But of course, if we hire from within, thats another position to fill.

I would like Laurent Blanc to be assistant. Hes done a great job at Bordeaux, and I think he is a fantastic coach. and would honestly be the best option. And I think that he could then gain the experience needed to then step up and replace Sir Alex.

Good call!

If Blanc were wiling to become an assistant manager after managing Bordeaux it would be a good learning experience for him.

I'll be following the fortunes of Bordeaux more closely now and hope they can make Ligue 1 less of a 1 horse race.

I think Mike Phelan's work with the first team might mean that he has a better chance of getting the job.

·
23,699 Posts
mirror

Rene helps Fergie fill Carlos gap

RENE MEULENSTEEN helped Alex Ferguson fill the gap left by Carlos Queiroz at Manchester United yesterday.

United's technical skills development coach, 44, is highly regarded by Fergie and was at his side during training at Carrington.

Queiroz was last night in Lisbon putting the finishing touches to a deal that will see him take over from Phil Scolari as Portugal coach.

And Ferguson has already started thinking about who could replace him as he makes his plans for the new season.

Dutchman Meulensteen was reserves coach at Old Trafford before he quit to take charge of Brondby in 2006.

But it did not work out and he returned to Old Trafford in January 2007.

United first-team coach Mike Phelan and academy director Brian McClair will also be hoping for a more influential role.

Bordeaux boss and former United star Laurent Blanc is another option.

*****​

Just happen to chance upon this name nobody here would imagine. Well, I guess no harm done....

Western Mail

Ferguson strategy puts Martinez on United radar

ROBERTO MARTINEZ to Manchester United; not the managerial merry-go-round link you'd have expected to hear this summer.

And, even before the inevitable denials from the Liberty, perhaps not one you're likely to believe either.

When names of potential replacements for seemingly Portugal-bound Carlos Queiroz were compiled, the manager of Swansea City would never normally be at the top of the list.

But as bizarre as it sounds, is the possibility of Martinez and United really beyond the grasps of comprehension?

It shouldn't be.

And there's two main reasons for that.

Firstly, there's the Sir Alex Ferguson factor.

The United chief hasn't become the number one boss in the game for making the obvious decisions, including when it comes to his backroom and boot-room staff.

Although Fergie has talked about keeping things in-house in readiness for his retirement and with the likes of ex-Old Trafford players Mike Phelan and Brian McClair working their way up the United ladder, the Scot with the silver touch has never been afraid to look further afield for his help.

And very often he's gone to up-and-comers that have passed under the radars of many others.

Steve McClaren was an assistant with Derby having only previously coached at Oxford and so unknown he was introduced as Fergie's number two as “Steve McClaridgeâ€.

Then of course there was Queiroz, a successful coach overseas before turning into Ferguson's trusty aide either side of a stint at Real Madrid.

And while the 55-year-old was at the Bernabeu, Fergie's choice to replace him was the highly-rated but lowly-profiled manager at RKC Waalwijk, only for Martin Jol to end up accepting the coach's duties at Spurs.

So with Queiroz in Lisbon having talks over replacing Luiz Felipe Scolari, Ferguson won't necessarily go for a big-name successor, more a footballing brain he knows will be an asset.

And despite his image as the respected elder statesman of the Premier League, no-one could accuse Ferguson of not having his finger on the pulse of the modern game, whether it be in respect to players or managers turning heads up and down the leagues.

And that brings us to point number two; the man Martinez himself.

Few Swansea City managers in history have attracted attention quite like the Spaniard of South Wales.

Then again, few Swansea City managers have done what he has done.

Namely bring success to the club in a style that won as many plaudits as it brought victories.

It's not just the success in the shape of the promotion gained in May, but also the methods Martinez used in which to earn it.

A club's change of footballing philosophy, an unhealthy obsession and a knowledge of the game across the globe, and an understanding of training and tactics that belies his 34 years.

Discipline has come through respect rather than rollickings while several Swansea players freely admit they are enjoying better fitness than ever for the approach of the Swans' Senor.

With that in mind, why wouldn't Wigan have been interested in him taking over from Paul Jewell?

Why wouldn't Newcastle's Sir John Hall identify Swansea's boss as a potential Toon target before Kevin Keegan rocked up at St James' Park?

Why wouldn't he be among the favourites to succeed Mark Hughes at Blackburn?

So now, why wouldn't Fergie fancy a flutter on the manager everyone is talking about?

One answer for that may well be that the link is just that, a solitary Sunday journalist getting carried away when sprinkling the names of Martinez, Simon Grayson and former Swan Simon Davey into his copy on Queiroz's impending exit.

And then we've had Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins going on record to state the story is “nonsenseâ€.

“We haven't heard anything and I know for a fact there's nothing in these stories,†said Jenkins yesterday.

But neither of things stopped Martinez being placed at a eyebrow-raising 12-1 by one betting company for the job, even though the position hasn't become available yet.

It's a chicken and the egg scenario.

Did Martinez become a contender because of the story, or did Martinez make the story because he's a contender?

Either way, the nature of football means that even Jenkins' dismissive's comments were making the Manchester United lead on national press agencies' wires late last night.

Yet whether people will buy ‘Martinez for Manchester' probably matters very little, for the fact remains El Gaffer is already sold on finishing what he started at Swansea.

The man is on a mission to realise a dream at Swansea, putting his stamp on a club with the full backing of the board and the understanding of the fans he knows will be difficult to replicate elsewhere.

After all, this is the same guy who was happy to stay in the lower leagues as a player because he felt he could make a difference to the club he was at.

And then there was the affinity gained for Swansea when he played his part in the battle against the drop.

Of course ambition always talks, but speak to Martinez and the sense is that it will lie with Swansea for some time yet.

And with McClair very much looking like the lead candidate for United, it certainly doesn't seem like a time for Swans supporters to start fretting about losing their manager for the European Champions.

But this is football and stranger things have – and will – happen.

Martinez to Manchester? Just don't laugh too quickly the next time you hear it.

·
23,699 Posts
Manchester United look to replace Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant Carlos Queiroz

telegraph

Sir Alex Ferguson is keen to recruit an assistant manager with an established network of continental contacts if, as expected, Carlos Queiroz resigns his post as the Scot's right-hand man at United to succeed Luiz Felipe Scolari as the Portugal coach.

Queiroz is understood to have informed Ferguson and United chief executive David Gill that he will accept the four-year contract offered by the Portugal football federation president Gilberto Madail, but a deal has yet to be rubber-stamped with Gill and Madail still to agree a compensation package for the 55-year-old. United are privately resigned to losing Queiroz but are believed to be holding out for £800,000.

Speaking in Portugal yesterday, Queiroz said: ''I want all parties involved to come to an agreement quickly, but from my point of view it's an easy deal."

His departure would be a significant blow to Ferguson, who has rarely hidden his admiration for Queiroz. The former Real Madrid coach has been credited by Ferguson with identifying the talents of Nani and Anderson, the two players recruited from Sporting Lisbon and Porto last summer and, crucially, masterminding Cristiano Ronaldo's development.

Indeed, so successful has Queiroz been since returning to United for a second spell following his departure from Madrid in 2004, Ferguson is ready to use the Mozambique-born coach as the blueprint in his search for a successor.

At 66, Ferguson has acknowledged the requirement for a younger assistant with an in-depth knowledge of the global market, but replacing Queiroz like-for-like will be a challenge.

Laurent Blanc, the former United and France defender, has emerged as a leading candidate after guiding Bordeaux to second spot in the French league last season. Ferguson is a long-standing admirer of the 42-year-old, who he has credited with inspiring defenders Rio Ferdinand and Wes Brown during his two-year playing stint at the club.

Pako Ayesteran, the former Liverpool coach, is also well-regarded within Old Trafford circles.

Academy director Brian McClair, first-team coach Mike Phelan and Rene Meulensteen, United's highly-rated technical skills development coach, are among those likely to be considered as temporary replacements for Queiroz.

Blanc heads race to be Ferguson’s new No 2 at Old Trafford

Laurent Blanc: Sir Alex Ferguson has often praised Blanc’s influence on United’s youngsters during his two-year playing stint at Old Trafford. Now managing Bordeaux, Blanc has the youth and Continental contacts which are viewed as essential by the United manager.

Brian McClair: Despite a brief and unsuccessful spell as assistant to Brian Kidd at Blackburn, McClair has since impressed behind the scenes at Old Trafford, managing the reserve team and heading up the club’s academy.

Rene Meulensteen: Dutchman presently working as United’s technical skills development coach, but highly regarded by Ferguson. Coached United’s reserves before taking over as Brondby coach in 2006. Returned to United 12 months later.
Pako Ayesteran: Both United and Chelsea were linked with the Spaniard when he ended a lengthy partnership with Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez last season. He is now a coach with Benfica, but Ferguson would relish hiring a man with an in-depth knowledge of one of United greatest rivals.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts