Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I would say no to Cantona.

I would love to see him as United in a coaching capacity, maybe a posh role (something like technical development coach or something :p) as football wise, his abilty is in no doubt.

But I'm not sure he would be any good at the management side, eg man-management, tactics, coaching etc.

I think one of the favourites will be Brian McClair, and if we are hiring from within, I think it will be him, although Mike Phelan may be in with a shout. But of course, if we hire from within, thats another position to fill.

I would like Laurent Blanc to be assistant. Hes done a great job at Bordeaux, and I think he is a fantastic coach. and would honestly be the best option. And I think that he could then gain the experience needed to then step up and replace Sir Alex.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Stephen said:
Mickey Phelan won't get it.

Mcclair or Muelestein (or however you spell it) from inside.
Most probably the latter, as he helps out on the training pitch anyway.
Yeah.

He won't get it but I just thought that, with him being first-team coach, and a big part of the coaching set-up already, he might be in with a shout though I think it will be Choccy if anyway from within.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Drew9 said:
Blanc in my opnion will be brilliant for us, i would to snap him up before another top European club does.
Yeah.

As I said, I think it would be worthwhile us getting him, a) for his coaching abilities and b) he could replace Sir Alex (and should if he gets the assistant job imo) as I think he's going to become a fantastic manager in future, and his experience of working alongside Sir Alex at Utd would be a fantastic.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I won't be that happy if we don't at least try to get Blanc. If we try, and he doesn't want to come, then it won't bother me.

But I think if we don't try to get him, we will miss a fantastic opportunity.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Drew9 said:
surely Laurent Blanc though should be our biggest target?
:p

I can't stop thinking and talking about Blanc when thinking/talking about the assistants job either.

I think if we don't at least try to get him, we will miss a big opportunity.

I, personally, can't see any better man for the job.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Drew9 said:
Basically as i've said in many posts i believe Laurent Blanc will manage a top class European club one day and what better way to prepare than to learn some more under Sir Alex for a few seasons? and in my opinion he is a realistic succesor to the great man himself.
Yeah. I absolutely agree.

I'm getting a bit repetitive as well, but Blanc is the best man for the job imo. I can't see anyone better.

Hes a fantastic coach, and I think hes going to become the one of the best managers in the World.

I actually think that he should come in as assistant, gain some fantastic experience and replace Sir Alex in 2/3 years time.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
A bit repetitive??? :eek:
thats about 6 posts in this thread saying you want Blanc's babies....
we heard ya the first time J :rolleyes:

Oh, and btw, did I tell you I wanted Blanc as assistant manager? ;)

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
-zuco- said:
Am I the only one who doesn't want Cantona anywhere near a managerial role at United?

He is a United legend of course, but he is also a stark raving lunatic.

Great player doesn't automatically equal great manager as some of you
seem to think. If he ever gets near being assistant manager I would hope
at the very least that he proves his worth at another club first.
No.

I don't want Cantona either.

If Cantona was to come, let him come as a coach that works with the players and gives them advice to improve their technique.

Everyone is saying "Get Cantona" simply because he was such a fantastic player for us. He was no doubt a fantastic player.

But I really can't see him being good at other issues, such as man-management, tactics etc.

Of course, I may be wrong, but I just can't see it.

I don't want him anywhere near the assistants or managers job.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
An interesting article that is zuco. :)

And yes, I know its paper talk, but from the BBC website in the paper gossip section;

Manchester United coach Mike Phelan is one of the favourites to replace Carlos Queiroz as assistant manager at the club. (Daily Mail)

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
bam solo said:
I think people have a tendancy to forget how important carlos was epecially in terms of europe. We've just won an europen cup (just in case ronaldo's antics had caused people to forget).

It should be assumed that the success in our switch in styles between european competition and domestics competition is largely because of Carlos' coaching, such a switch in styles is something that can only be practised on the training pitch and thats the area where carlos came into he's own.

Even the madrid players who played under him will acknowledge that carlos was a great coach, the only area where it would seem that he has question marks is overall man management and motivating (fergie's forte).

The simple fact is that Cantona cannot possibly be ready to step into the gap left by Carlos, as much as united fans like to romanticise Eric has always been an individual who went into the field concentrating solely on he's own performance(of course if he performed to he's ability he's game would raise everybody elses) He isn't a natural leader of men and as technically gifted as he was I don't believe he has the abilty to coach that level of tecnical skill to youngsters.

We all love eric for he's individual but it's that same trait that would make him a disaster as fergie's number 2. maybe if he was inducted into the OT coaching system and had time to work alongside other coaches to see what its all about then he might one day make a cracking no 2 or even manager.

At the moment I think we need to start looking toward the continent for Carlos' replacement.
Great post.

I absolutely agree with it.

I, personally, don't want Cantona anywhere near an important position, e/g Manager, Assistant etc.

If he was to come, he would need to come in as just a coach, or at another club and prove himself first.

I really can't see him being good at the management side of it.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Yes its the Sun (;)), but I thought you might find it interesting;

==========================================================

Ron pal wanted as No 2

MANCHESTER UNITED are planning to land Cristiano Ronaldo's former team-mate as their new No 2.

Boss Alex Ferguson is trying to persuade Sporting Lisbon coach Paulo Bento to become his assistant.

Bento is Ronaldo's pal and could talk the Real Madrid target into staying.

They know each other well after Ron played one season in the first-team with Bento in 2002-03.

The 39-year-old is one of the best young Portuguese coaches.

And he comes highly recommended by countryman Carlos Queiroz, who quit as United No 2 last week to become national team coach.

Bento has guided Lisbon to runners-up spot in the league three campaigns in a row and has won them three cups.

Bento, who played 35 times for Portugal, will raise his profile at United — even with Sporting being in the Champions League.

He has leapt ahead of fellow candidates Pako Ayesteran and Laurent Blanc.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I think we should hire someone who has a chance of getting the managers job when Sir Alex retires.

They can come, learn as assistant and from Sir Alex, and then make a swift transition to the managers job.

It would give us and the players the stability we need when Sir Alex retires.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I'm still going for Laurent Blanc, no matter how much Jazz gets onto me about it :p

But I wouldn't mind Laudrup either.

As I said up there ^

manutd004 said:
I think we should hire someone who has a chance of getting the managers job when Sir Alex retires.

They can come, learn as assistant and from Sir Alex, and then make a swift transition to the managers job.

It would give us and the players the stability we need when Sir Alex retires.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
antdevil78 said:
like i have just said. coach and manager are two different roles and require different temprements. It has also got to be someone who compliments fergie's strengths as a club manager.
Yeah, they are.

But I have heard that Blanc is a great coach, and I think he will be in all honesty, and I honestly think we should bring somebody in who has a realistic chance of getting the managers job. Someone to come in for a couple of years to learn from Fergie, and learn about being at the club in a coaching position, and then they can make the transistion into being the manager and we can have the stability that we need for when Fergie retires.

We also need someone who can continue Carlos Queiroz's great defensive work.

antdevil78 said:
well said. get someone who knows the club and its heritage in. None of the Blanc, Laudrup, Pele, Maradona rubbish. OK last two i know bit too far but we need a good coach not a good manager.

Kidd went along training the kids who you dont win anything with and was respected.
Carlos Queiroz didn't 'know the club and its heritage' but he was pretty successful wouldn't you say?

Also, on a sidenote, Brian Kidd will never get the job back as Fergie once said he didn't trust him and he had let him down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts