Manchester United Talk banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
antdevil78 said:
French League aint exactly Premiership, is it, brains.

Like saying get strachan cos look how good he's doing in scottish league.

Going back to my main point, Blanc wont get the job cos he is the "fans favourite". If he does get it, it cos fergie wants him and fergie alone.

That is why i was saying debating it aint worthwhile.

(and LASTLY!!! Try putting your point across, not forcing it onto people to accept as right)
It's a forum you muppet, this is a thread to debate who will the next Assistant will be so thats what we're all doing and you saying stupid things like the French league isn't the strongest, we all know that, but we also know that he has done a great job to turn a mid table side into runners up in one season with minimal funds or should i say next to nothing to spend. We all know Fergie will pick who 'He' wants but he will also pick who he wants to buy, who he wants to sell, when he wants to retire etc, i could go on about that subject forever, if everyone had your attitude then there wouldnt be a forum, basically my opinion is that Laurent wont only be a very good assistant through tactics, and his contacts he could also be a very good replacement for Fergie in 2/3 seasons. Im not putting my point across so people have to accept it as right, all im saying is i've seen a lot of Blancs games last season and i saw him a lot in a united shirt when he was here, i know that a great player doesn't neccarsarily make a great coach/manager but i do think this could be an acception, nothing against you pal but i think your dismissing a very decent man and coach just because he has started his career in the French league, everyone has to start somewhere, look at Paul Ince :)

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Drew9 said:
It's a forum you muppet, this is a thread to debate who will the next Assistant will be so thats what we're all doing and you saying stupid things like the French league isn't the strongest, we all know that, but we also know that he has done a great job to turn a mid table side into runners up in one season with minimal funds or should i say next to nothing to spend. We all know Fergie will pick who 'He' wants but he will also pick who he wants to buy, who he wants to sell, when he wants to retire etc, i could go on about that subject forever, if everyone had your attitude then there wouldnt be a forum, basically my opinion is that Laurent wont only be a very good assistant through tactics, and his contacts he could also be a very good replacement for Fergie in 2/3 seasons. Im not putting my point across so people have to accept it as right, all im saying is i've seen a lot of Blancs games last season and i saw him a lot in a united shirt when he was here, i know that a great player doesn't neccarsarily make a great coach/manager but i do think this could be an acception, nothing against you pal but i think your dismissing a very decent man and coach just because he has started his career in the French league, everyone has to start somewhere, look at Paul Ince :)
I will watch Bordeaux with anticipation as they tear teams apart in this years Champs League.

He must be great if he can get David Bellion, one of Sir Alex's biggest flops and turn him round into a competent striker. If fact because Bellion is second behind Benzema as top scorer lets sign him instead.

Shouldnt knock the bloke cos he plays in Ligue 1. LOL!!!!!:D

P.S - Think your enter on keyboard dont work

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
antdevil78 said:
I will watch Bordeaux with anticipation as they tear teams apart in this years Champs League.

He must be great if he can get David Bellion, one of Sir Alex's biggest flops and turn him round into a competent striker. If fact because Bellion is second behind Benzema as top scorer lets sign him instead.

Shouldnt knock the bloke cos he plays in Ligue 1. LOL!!!!!:D

P.S - Think your enter on keyboard dont work

Lol your really not getting this are you, im not going to bother. Because they will be eliminated pretty early on will not reflect what kind of manager he is will it, if you had knowledge of football you'd clearly know that, instead you've probably just searched the net looking for whos done what in the French league well done for that, but we're going of course with this debate, point is he has done an acceptional job with his resources end of, and weather you like it or not he might be an option, we've obviously offended you for talking about Sir Alex's next Assistant manger lol :)

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Drew9 said:
Lol your really not getting this are you, im not going to bother. Because they will be eliminated pretty early on will not reflect what kind of manager he is will it, if you had knowledge of football you'd clearly know that, instead you've probably just searched the net looking for whos done what in the French league well done for that, but we're going of course with this debate, point is he has done an acceptional job with his resources end of, and weather you like it or not he might be an option, we've obviously offended you for talking about Sir Alex's next Assistant manger lol :)
agreed. better to agree to disagree and end it there!!!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The one thing that is very clear from your debate, is how passionate you both are about Manchester united and that you both want only the best for the team.

As fans, we don't have a great deal of insight into the personalities of the people we debate, but some people's resume speak for themselves.

What if the rumours are true and fergie is looking to emplay Rafa Benitez' former number 2?

By all accounts he was a very good assistant manager and coach.

Even though he is is ex scum, would anybody here mind, if he's the best man for the job?

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
if fergie wants an ex liverpool no2 then so be it(even though some fans will be too thick to see past the liverpool connection). If he wants blanc then so be it.

Our no1 manager is much more important than our number 2 so whatever fergie says goes in my book.

Anyone on here willing to question the man.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Not at all would never question the man. After all who are we to question him, the ex Liverpool character is supposed to be one of the best in the business and it's not as if the fans will have a lot to do with him, i just hope he isn't anything to do with this stupid rotation policy or anything, that would drive me completely mad and im sure every United fan would hate that, but if he is the correct candidate it wouldnt bother me that much to be honest, as i've said before though i dont see the point of choosing from within as that would leave another hole in our staff wouldnt it, even though i'd like to see Rene or Ole :) let's just see what happens lads.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Cantona, Keane & Solskjaer don't have enough experience or usefulness as an assistant manager to even consider. Sir Alex needs someone with connections, experience, submissive nature etc. to be his assistant.

Queiroz was perfect for this. I think he was stupid to want the Portugal post. In 5 years or so when he's done with them, then what? He would have thrown away whatever chance at being the next United manager he had away and would have to go to some second rate club and manage there.

G

·
I read this article in the M.E.N today and found it quite interesting that the
man Fergie chooses as his assistant, is usually miles away from anyone the
press has speculated over.

I've selected some paragraphs from it:

In 1998 Sir Alex was stunned mid-season by Brian Kidd's decision to
leave and try his hand at being a manager at Blackburn Rovers.

Kiddo went in early December and it was two months before Fergie had
made his mind up on Steve McClaren
and had him installed.

Fergie had done his homework. With an enviable worldwide contacts book he
could vet the best around. His mate Jim Smith at Derby County had spoken
privately in glowing terms about his Pride Park coach, the up-and-coming
innovative McClaren.

Smith's reference helped convince Fergie the then 38-year-old with a
bookload of new ideas was the ideal choice.

Significantly, nobody had speculated that McClaren was in the frame.
The United boss had beaten the rumour mill
Fast-forward two years on to 2001 and McClaren was ready to be
fast-tracked to No 1 status when he joined Middlesbrough.

So the process began again.

This time it would be 12 months before Fergie discovered the right
successor

In the meantime, Jim Ryan and Mike Phelan were temporarily thrust alongside
Sir Alex as joint No 2s.

The Reds, though, were evolving into a multi-lingual squad and Fergie, in his
60s, also recognised the fact he again needed a modern-thinking sidekick to
keep the Reds at the forefront of new techniques and ideas.

The United manager eventually, through his contacts, identified Queiroz as
the man who ticked all the boxes.

In June 2002, fully a year after McClaren left, Queiroz was the new right-
hand man at Old Trafford.

Once again, while Queiroz had been on Fergie's radar, nobody else had
picked it up. He had beaten the rumour mill again and taken his time doing it!
Full article is here

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
An interesting article that is zuco. :)

And yes, I know its paper talk, but from the BBC website in the paper gossip section;

Manchester United coach Mike Phelan is one of the favourites to replace Carlos Queiroz as assistant manager at the club. (Daily Mail)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Queiroz set to be confirmed as Portugal manager today

Search for Ferguson's new assistant to begin
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jul/11/portugal.manchesterunited

Portugal are expected to announce this evening that Carlos Queiroz has agreed to become their new manager. Manchester United have reluctantly allowed the club's assistant manager to leave Old Trafford, giving Sir Alex Ferguson little more than a month to bring in a replacement before the new season starts. The news will be a further blow to United's hopes of keeping Cristiano Ronaldo at the club, with Queiroz regarded as a father figure to the Portugal winger.

Queiroz joined the club in 2002 and, even though United won the title in his first season, was widely criticised by fans, blamed for persuading Ferguson to deploy a seemingly negative 4-5-1 formation. However, in the past season his increasing influence over the team - in terms of coaching and style of play - has been recognised as United revelled in a thrilling brand of fluid attacking football, winning the Premier League and Champions League in the process.

Indeed, the significance of his role alongside Ferguson was felt when he left to manage Real Madrid in the 2003-04 season. While he failed to win a trophy in Spain before returning to Manchester, United underwent a similarly barren year, finishing third as Ferguson struggled without an assistant until he brought Walter Smith in for the final two months of the season.

United fans will therefore be eager to find out who Ferguson will bring in to help him, with Swansea City having already ruled out this week that their manager, Roberto Martinez, would leave for Old Trafford.

Queiroz had been one of the favourites to replace Ferguson as United boss, but the lure of managing his country for a second time was too much for him to refuse. His first stint between 1991 and 1994 was unsuccessful, with Portugal failing to qualify for the World Cup, but his stock has always been high in his homeland, having coached the so-called golden generation of Luis Figo and Rui Costa and the rest of Portugal's Under-20s to two world titles in 1989 and 1991.

·
23,699 Posts
williamhill

Meanwhile, Hills are also betting on who will eventually succeed Alex Ferguson's right hand man, Carlos Queiroz, when he finally departs the club - whether to take over as Portugal manager or at some other time:

Next Permanent Assistant Man Utd Manager
Brian McClair 9/4
Mike Phelan 5/2
Rene Meulensteen 11/4
Pako Ayesteran 9/2
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 14/1
Eric Cantona 20/1
Others on Request

Btw read above that Fergie has so far surprised everybody except himself on the final choice made. Interesting.

I don't know if it is workable in the first place but just wondering if it is possible to conduct a poll or better still to set up a grand betting/prediction thread in which a winner so deservedly receives very very big vcash - and I mean very very big vcash. Besides the usual suspects above, members should be allowed to throw in their own carefully-selected names from whatever sources they derive from. Could be a long drawn affair but may be both extra fun and rewarding as developments and rumours surface along.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts