Manchester United Talk banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
This Paulo Bento sounds quite good to me, seems quite tactically minded and a well rounded coach. I'm not saying he should be the new assistant definately, but he would be okay if he was. I do however think Cantona would make a great manager for us one day but I'd like him to start in a coaching role first because we will miss Quieroz's defensive knowledge without somebody else with his qualities coming in

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I think we should hire someone who has a chance of getting the managers job when Sir Alex retires.

They can come, learn as assistant and from Sir Alex, and then make a swift transition to the managers job.

It would give us and the players the stability we need when Sir Alex retires.

·
23,699 Posts
A tongue twister for Reds boss

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ited/s/1058396_a_tongue_twister_for_reds_boss

OF all the boxes Sir Alex Ferguson will want his new number two to tick, the one marked "multi-lingual" is most important.

United's squad still has a British backbone. More than most other top Premier League clubs, the Reds have plundered the English scene for players.

Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Owen Hargreaves and Michael Carrick have ensured an ongoing Three Lions presence from the days of the Class of `92 when David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt, Gary Neville and later products Phil Neville and Wes Brown were significant England squad members.

But, since the days of Peter Schmeichel, Eric Cantona and Andrei Kanchelskis, there has also been a foreign balance to Fergie's pool of senior stars.

The Reds Academy is now tapping into worldwide links, with Italians, Germans, Brazilians and Portuguese youngsters now mixing with lads from Manchester and Salford. In recent years the route from Portugal to Old Trafford has become well-trodden.

Carlos Queiroz opened up that avenue and was instrumental in fostering the link with Sporting Lisbon that yielded Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani from Sporting's burgeoning youth system. His contacts also helped United secure Anderson from Porto last summer.

While Liverpool had the Spanish influence with Rafa Benitez, and Arsenal the French advantage through Arsene Wenger, United had Queiroz.

His Portuguese connection gave United a head start in that market and then his presence at language while still making them feel at home.

It was a vital commodity and one heralded by Fergie after Queiroz's first season at the club in 2002-03.

He praised his debut term, before he moved to Real Madrid as manager, citing the multi-lingual plus on his CV as an initial attraction and key factor in his subsequent success.

With Anderson and Nani part of the future for the European champions and English title winners, someone in the Queiroz mould to step into his boots would be ideal.

Paulo Bento has emerged as a candidate to replace his fellow countryman.

Bento is coach at Sporting Lisbon and has done business with the Reds, selling them Nani last summer and basing his success for the club around home produced talent like Miguel Veloso, Joao Moutinho and Yannick Djalo from Sporting's much-admired Academy.

The 39-year-old can speak English but the Portuguese and Spanish language advantage might now be a necessary requirement for Fergie.

Bento will not have harmed his chances of being Ferguson's Chosen One after he joined the anti-Sepp Blatter brigade for his Cristiano Ronaldo's slavery comments.

He played with Ronaldo at Sporting and said of Blatter's remarks: "The example he gave was unwise and disappointing."

Michael Laudrup is another name being championed as a potential Queiroz successor.

The Danish great is currently out of work, having just quit Madrid side Getafe.

He was a big success at Brondby and then moved to Spain where he enjoyed success at an unfashionable club in the shadow of Real.

Laudrup, 44, guided Getafe to the final of the Spanish Cup and to the quarter finals of the UEFA Cup with an open exciting style that mirrored his playing days.

Meanwhile, current Tottenham number two, Gus Poyet, has ruled himself out of the running to be Sir Alex's assistant.

"It was a surprise to read it," said Poyet. "I want to stay at Spurs, I want to stay with this manager and this group of players because I'm very happy.

"When you are in England and you are lucky enough to be with one of the big teams you will always get speculation."

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
bam solo said:
I think people have a tendancy to forget how important carlos was epecially in terms of europe. We've just won an europen cup (just in case ronaldo's antics had caused people to forget).

It should be assumed that the success in our switch in styles between european competition and domestics competition is largely because of Carlos' coaching, such a switch in styles is something that can only be practised on the training pitch and thats the area where carlos came into he's own.

Even the madrid players who played under him will acknowledge that carlos was a great coach, the only area where it would seem that he has question marks is overall man management and motivating (fergie's forte).

The simple fact is that Cantona cannot possibly be ready to step into the gap left by Carlos, as much as united fans like to romanticise Eric has always been an individual who went into the field concentrating solely on he's own performance(of course if he performed to he's ability he's game would raise everybody elses) He isn't a natural leader of men and as technically gifted as he was I don't believe he has the abilty to coach that level of tecnical skill to youngsters.

We all love eric for he's individual but it's that same trait that would make him a disaster as fergie's number 2. maybe if he was inducted into the OT coaching system and had time to work alongside other coaches to see what its all about then he might one day make a cracking no 2 or even manager.

At the moment I think we need to start looking toward the continent for Carlos' replacement.
great post, now come back and make some more :D

You are being realistic about Cantona to be fair, but I still think he would be worth
a punt, the legend that he is.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I'm still going for Laurent Blanc, no matter how much Jazz gets onto me about it :p

But I wouldn't mind Laudrup either.

As I said up there ^

manutd004 said:
I think we should hire someone who has a chance of getting the managers job when Sir Alex retires.

They can come, learn as assistant and from Sir Alex, and then make a swift transition to the managers job.

It would give us and the players the stability we need when Sir Alex retires.
:p

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Red Devil said:
Brian Kidd
well said. get someone who knows the club and its heritage in. None of the Blanc, Laudrup, Pele, Maradona rubbish. OK last two i know bit too far but we need a good coach not a good manager.

Kidd went along training the kids who you dont win anything with and was respected.

manutd004 said:
I'm still going for Laurent Blanc, no matter how much Jazz gets onto me about it :p

But I wouldn't mind Laudrup either.

As I said up there ^

:p
like i have just said. coach and manager are two different roles and require different temprements. It has also got to be someone who compliments fergie's strengths as a club manager.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
antdevil78 said:
well said. get someone who knows the club and its heritage in. None of the Blanc, Laudrup, Pele, Maradona rubbish. OK last two i know bit too far but we need a good coach not a good manager.

Kidd went along training the kids who you dont win anything with and was respected..
He has also been Asst to Fergie before he left us to unsuccessfully manage Blackburn. He has also been Asst Manager at Leeds!!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
antdevil78 said:
like i have just said. coach and manager are two different roles and require different temprements. It has also got to be someone who compliments fergie's strengths as a club manager.
Yeah, they are.

But I have heard that Blanc is a great coach, and I think he will be in all honesty, and I honestly think we should bring somebody in who has a realistic chance of getting the managers job. Someone to come in for a couple of years to learn from Fergie, and learn about being at the club in a coaching position, and then they can make the transistion into being the manager and we can have the stability that we need for when Fergie retires.

We also need someone who can continue Carlos Queiroz's great defensive work.

antdevil78 said:

Kidd went along training the kids who you dont win anything with and was respected.
Carlos Queiroz didn't 'know the club and its heritage' but he was pretty successful wouldn't you say?

Also, on a sidenote, Brian Kidd will never get the job back as Fergie once said he didn't trust him and he had let him down.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Of all those mentioned Kidd is the best qualified BUT, as stated, doubtful if he would be allowed back. Next behind him would be Archie Knox, Kidds predecessor.

Ole and Eric and not yet have the experience.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Sparky as the one taking over after Ferguson. YUMMY! He seems to be a good team builder and to he have found players with value for the money.

I wouldnt mind having Keano taking over. This season is a bit make or break for him. If he keeps Sunderland up and even if he makes the team sniffing on European Cup spots its a success.

But as assistant manager. We wont get a big name unless he got insurance he'll be the man when Fergie steps down.
Laudrup have done a great job in Getafe and Bröndby as manager with limited funds. And I heard he's a manager the players respect too even if dont do 'management by fear'.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts