Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

26,045 Posts
TheManc said:
If we hadn't of sold Silvestre then I would of loved for this to happen.
O'Shea is blocking the progress of Rafael, Fabio, Rodrigo ect. We saw vs Newcastle he came on instead of Rodrigo when it should have been the other way around. O'Shea is ridiculously limited as a player and although I respect what he's done for us I hope he moves on.

I would say 'yes' to that tbh.
remember Evans is very good at LB aswell.

I don't belive this though because O'Shea would never get into Spurs first team. If they said someone like Evans then it would be more believable.
I put both feet up in support if it is indeed true. Time for JOS to move on.

I don't understand why he should be kept as a backup for us perpetually when he is not really a good enough backup for us. And he just seems unable to improve any further ever since the very first year when he broke through, mistakenly touted as a future left back for us. Don't get me wrong; I really appreciate what he has done for us these years without any complaint or grievance or even with cheerfulness. But there is just no room for sentiments for the progress of the team. Give the youngsters the opportunity or retain a better backup please.

But then again, I don't believe it is true because Spurs could not have been so 'easy' to deal with, what after all the spats between Levy and Fergie. Besides, I would really be surprised if they are so... (struggling for a kinder word for JOS).... 'unsophisicated' about their choice.

26,045 Posts
TheManc said:
I don't want to come across as though I hate him. I don't. He's a nice guy who has given everything for us so he has my respect as a person, but I just don't rate him as a player at all. The only place where he'd get into a team like Stoke's first team is RB IMO, so he has no chance with us, in any position bar RB.
Precisely. I don't want the entire Irish segment of the members to be up in arms against us. Lol.

He is very likeable, has a nice dispostion, doesn't moan, doesn't groan, doesn't complain, tries his utmost best, very loyal and committed to the club, happy just to be around the first team etc. Somebody who has earned respect and admiration for what he has done for us and so willing to continue to do for us.

But unfortunately, not good enough for footballing reasons or to deny another promising youngster.

26,045 Posts
spellbound said:
Raf and Fab just turned 18 and Possebon 19. Give the lads a season to settle in and learn from pro guys like O'Shea and the rest of the experienced senior players. If they are good enough they'll get their chances.

What we should be more worried about is Nani and and Andersons opportunity's playing for Manchester United and O'Shea isnt really batteling for their positions.

And I fancy reading how so many wants to give the current squad the chance to defend the titles. So do we really need a new face at OT? :rolleyes: :D
Trouble is probably we have been unconsciously doing that for some years now, which may also explain why no youngster came through in recent years? And before we knew it, maybe it wouldn't be just the key players like Scholes and Giggs retiring at OT but every single member of the squad players too, along with constant exodus of talented young players who feel they deserve first team action elsewhere. Where would we draw the line?

Point is instead of playing JOS when we are comfortably in the lead, why not we play Possebon or Fabio in such circumstance? Some precious minutes on the field with the senior members for exposure and experience in an actual senior game would certainly be good for their confidence and speed up their development.

Afterall, the difference may not be significant if one odd new face pops up every now and then throughout the season. And afterall, if squad players could not do any better than the first XI other than as backup, why not let a select few youngsters more opportunities as backup?

26,045 Posts
thekeanefella said:
i would love to see some of the youngsters get a chance this season, but to suggest o`shea is holding up a players progress is retarded, he is in the squad/team on merit. show the lad some respect he has been fantastic for the club and to happily play a back up role for his entire career is a major sacrifice, he could easily have walked out and got regular football elsewhere, he hasnt, ronaldo got slaughtered for a lack of loyalty yet o`shea has shown plenty of it.

wise up he is exactly what is needed in a successfull squad.
Ooh, that was a bit strong, I thought. :p

I, for one, is in full support of youth development, the spine and blueprint for our future, whenever feasible. And there is no better time than now when we finally have a core bunch of exciting youngsters since Fergie's Fledgings in the early 90s. Even Fergie acknowledges that and is clearly excited, what more now with 7 substitutes previously impermissible.

I understand and largely agree with you about the importance of these squad players and their contributions whenever the needs arise. But where do we draw the line here? I mean, having JOS retiring together with the player(s) he is backing up is not exactly progress or forward looking, isn't it? Lol.

Take Possebon as an example. Not particularly impressive or outstanding in yesterday's game but I reckon the general consensus would be that it was still a credible performance and probably better than JOS's! From what we have seen so far, he is always so calm and collected on the ball, good distribution ability, does not hurry a pass or rush about as an over-zealous newbie would (reminded me so much of Kieran Richardson; lol). In one instance, he lost the ball in the middle of the park but chased back and won back the ball so coolly, almost effortlessly and with minimum fuss. Given some more cameo appearances to gain experience and a better sense of presence, I wouldn't assume JOS should be automatically ahead of him in the pecking order, at least in the postion as a CM. No?

A bit controversial and more tricky than first thought, I suppose, since our promising youngsters do need our support and opportunities too, if we truly want to both discover and polish some gems. So again, where to draw the line? I suspect an easier way out is obviously to entrust Fergie to find the balance.

26,045 Posts
United_OG said:
Versa!! How come we always agree to disagree on football topics now huh?? lol

Lol. Now that you mentioned. No worries mate. In the Huntelaar/Berbatov issue alone, this forum is already splitted into the Huntelaar camp, the Berbatov camp and the Undecided like Spellbound that does not necessarily agree with the 2 camps. Norms of a forum I guess.

Honestly though, i have to go on the side of the irish mafia in here right now and say that i would prefer he stays. In all honestly in terms of rating him a footballer, i really do not think he is very good BUT i do think he has a great attitude and is a very likeable guy. He also seems to be a laugh and good for team spirit and he seems like the type of guy who is needed in a squad to keep the spirits up and also CAN do a half decent job at times. He was not bad at all against portsmouth, while not great either. Similar to why i said we should keep fletcher, not soo much for team spirit unlike JOS but when he called upon, gives his heart out, never complains and can do a job when he is needed even if he is also a limited footballer. I do agree that sooner or later they may start to hamper the possibility of rodrigo coming through but does rodrigo have the potential to be wayyyyy wayyyy and i place huge emphasis of wayyyyy (lol) better than both fletcher and JOS do in midfield? If so, then maybe next season one of the two should be sold but i think for this season, keep both of them as rodrigo gets used to live in the first team squad....

That is good enough reason for him to leave; we can't afford to be too sentimental if the progress of the club is foremost in our thought.

But more importantly, he lack the geniune quality that will see him go far, probably as cover for the rest of his career at OT while our select few youngsters, such as the Samba twins, Possebon etc, do seem to possess such quality and could probably be our future first team regulars. This is a significant difference to bear in mind.

I am kinda of in the middle though...i can see why people would want players like JOS out but im with those who would like to see him stay...even though id prefer to watch rodrigo player over JOS...LOL...make sense? haha
pz

Now I would be confused. Lol.
Ditto.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.