Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Least popular Moderator
26,061 Posts
If we hadn't of sold Silvestre then I would of loved for this to happen.
O'Shea is blocking the progress of Rafael, Fabio, Rodrigo ect. We saw vs Newcastle he came on instead of Rodrigo when it should have been the other way around. O'Shea is ridiculously limited as a player and although I respect what he's done for us I hope he moves on.

I would say 'yes' to that tbh. remember Evans is very good at LB aswell.

I don't belive this though because O'Shea would never get into Spurs first team. If they said someone like Evans then it would be more believable.

26,061 Posts
versa said:
I put both feet up in support if it is indeed true. Time for JOS to move on.

I don't understand why he should be kept as a backup for us perpetually when he is not really a good enough backup for us. And he just seems unable to improve any further ever since the very first year when he broke through, mistakenly touted as a future left back for us. Don't get me wrong; I really appreciate what he has done for us these years without any complaint or grievance or even with cheerfulness. But there is just no room for sentiments for the progress of the team. Give the youngsters the opportunity or retain a better backup please.

But then again, I don't believe it is true because Spurs could not have been so 'easy' to deal with, what after all the spats between Levy and Fergie. Besides, I would really be surprised if they are so... (struggling for a kinder word for JOS).... 'unsophisicated' about their choice.
Agreed. No one can ever critisize him for not giving 100% so he will always get the respect he deserves for that but tbh I think he is very ovverated even as a versatile player.

He is poor at CM, I think Rodrigo already surpasses him, he just needs experience which he'll only get by playing.

He is very average at FB aswell. When it was the last 10 mins vs Newcastle he was just hoofing the ball into the box despite the fact that no one was in there. He is clueless when it comes down to picking out a pass. If it was Silvestre there instead then no doubt he would have done more than just kicking it up there.

At right back he is the same, maybe slightly better but Rafael has so much more potential than him that he HAS to get games.

At CB he is poor. I have only seen him play well there once, ironically that was against tough opposition in Roma (away)

To sum up:

CM - Horrible. I cringe when I see his name next to Scholes' name in the team sheet.

RB - Decent at best, but I do think he is an ok 3rd choice back up for most teams, except for ours as we have 3 RB's who are better.

LB - Slow, Can't overlap, Gets skinned all the time so he conceds free kicks, can't cross with his left - very poor.

CB - I think he is ok 5th choice but nothing more. Atleast his positioning is quite good.

I don't want to come across as though I hate him. I don't. He's a nice guy who has given everything for us so he has my respect as a person, but I just don't rate him as a player at all. The only place where he'd get into a team like Stoke's first team is RB IMO, so he has no chance with us, in any position bar RB.

26,061 Posts
versa said:
Ooh, that was a bit strong, I thought. :p

I, for one, is in full support of youth development, the spine and blueprint for our future, whenever feasible. And there is no better time than now when we finally have a core bunch of exciting youngsters since Fergie's Fledgings in the early 90s. Even Fergie acknowledges that and is clearly excited, what more now with 7 substitutes previously impermissible.

I understand and largely agree with you about the importance of these squad players and their contributions whenever the needs arise. But where do we draw the line here? I mean, having JOS retiring together with the player(s) he is backing up is not exactly progress or forward looking, isn't it? Lol.

Take Possebon as an example. Not particularly impressive or outstanding in yesterday's game but I reckon the general consensus would be that it was still a credible performance and probably better than JOS's! From what we have seen so far, he is always so calm and collected on the ball, good distribution ability, does not hurry a pass or rush about as an over-zealous newbie would (reminded me so much of Kieran Richardson; lol). In one instance, he lost the ball in the middle of the park but chased back and won back the ball so coolly, almost effortlessly and with minimum fuss. Given some more cameo appearances to gain experience and a better sense of presence, I wouldn't assume JOS should be automatically ahead of him in the pecking order, at least in the postion as a CM. No?

A bit controversial and more tricky than first thought, I suppose, since our promising youngsters do need our support and opportunities too, if we truly want to both discover and polish some gems. So again, where to draw the line? I suspect an easier way out is obviously to entrust Fergie to find the balance.
Agreed. I think that the squad players should, in general, be young players who can hopefully force themselves into the first team squad one day.

O'Shea is coming to that age, like Neville and Butt did, where he needs to play regularly at a 'lesser' club. FletcherIMO is the same except I think he should stay for one more year, when Rodrigo would take the role of squad player (or go out on loan, which I would actually prefer)

Plus, the need for a 'every position' player is lessened now we have the 7 subs. We can actually have 2 Midfielders, 2 defenders and 2 wingers on the bench now, instead of 1 of each and a guy who can do half a job in every position.

26,061 Posts
spellbound said:
:eek: Nice one!

So you think Ferguson picks these players just because he likes them over other players?
If you have been around you already knew he puts the team before the player.
Captain Ince was sold to Inter because he wasnt the winner anymore.
Captain Beckham went the same way but to Spain because he wasnt giving the team what Fergie were expecting from him.
Captain Keane went north for similar reasons.

Before that he sent away fans favourites as Norman Whiteside and Paul McGrath due to diciplinary problems (drinking culture) because they wouldnt change. If you ask me Ferguson knows how to 'kill his darlings' when he needs to do so. Thats what he's been doing for 22 years at OT.
I agree totally with what you've said except that in heinsight Keane should have left a year before he did. He was a shadow of his former self if I'm being honest.

26,061 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
:eek: Blasphemy.

He was injured constantly, but he could still control the game.
tut tut TM, Im shocked and horrified.
:( I'm embarrased to even think it tbh. I just think performance wise (except a few great days) he was half his former self, which like you said was down to injuries. But eventually they take there toll.

Of course I'm forgeting the impact he had off the pitch here, and his motivational strengths, but from purely a performance stand point - he was a shadow of his former self.

I'm still glad he stayed with us though. Hell I'd still accept him back today such was his impact in helping other players.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.