Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2,561 Posts
versa said:
But unfortunately, not good enough for footballing reasons or to deny another promising youngster.

Raf and Fab just turned 18 and Possebon 19. Give the lads a season to settle in and learn from pro guys like O'Shea and the rest of the experienced senior players. If they are good enough they'll get their chances.

What we should be more worried about is Nani and and Andersons opportunity's playing for Manchester United and O'Shea isnt really batteling for their positions.

And I fancy reading how so many wants to give the current squad the chance to defend the titles. So do we really need a new face at OT? :rolleyes: :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
25,282 Posts
TheManc said:
If we hadn't of sold Silvestre then I would of loved for this to happen.
O'Shea is blocking the progress of Rafael, Fabio, Rodrigo ect. We saw vs Newcastle he came on instead of Rodrigo when it should have been the other way around. O'Shea is ridiculously limited as a player and although I respect what he's done for us I hope he moves on.

I would say 'yes' to that tbh. remember Evans is very good at LB aswell.

I don't belive this though because O'Shea would never get into Spurs first team. If they said someone like Evans then it would be more believable.
As much as this makes sense, I refuse to let it influence me :D Jonner is worth at least 100 million and HAS to stay at United :p
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,809 Posts
rooneyNo10 said:
I get the feeling you like hunterlaar alot lol :D
its not a question of liking mates see in the past
we didnt get ronaldhino Why ??? a bit money more he would be with us

later ballack see him now ??

just dont want to regret why we were behind a good element and didnt get him

well i like to see him in united shirt beacuse he will be perfect for our team along side tevez and rooney

berba also will but this bor hunter is younger and will be fit till for 5 yrs full surely and berba age on him who know in 3 yr down
you get my point of view
 

· Moderator
Joined
·
26,045 Posts
spellbound said:
Raf and Fab just turned 18 and Possebon 19. Give the lads a season to settle in and learn from pro guys like O'Shea and the rest of the experienced senior players. If they are good enough they'll get their chances.

What we should be more worried about is Nani and and Andersons opportunity's playing for Manchester United and O'Shea isnt really batteling for their positions.

And I fancy reading how so many wants to give the current squad the chance to defend the titles. So do we really need a new face at OT? :rolleyes: :D
Trouble is probably we have been unconsciously doing that for some years now, which may also explain why no youngster came through in recent years? And before we knew it, maybe it wouldn't be just the key players like Scholes and Giggs retiring at OT but every single member of the squad players too, along with constant exodus of talented young players who feel they deserve first team action elsewhere. Where would we draw the line?

Point is instead of playing JOS when we are comfortably in the lead, why not we play Possebon or Fabio in such circumstance? Some precious minutes on the field with the senior members for exposure and experience in an actual senior game would certainly be good for their confidence and speed up their development.

Afterall, the difference may not be significant if one odd new face pops up every now and then throughout the season. And afterall, if squad players could not do any better than the first XI other than as backup, why not let a select few youngsters more opportunities as backup?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
rooneyNo10 said:
Yep im thinking it would be a good deal as like others have said he is limited as a player he don't have much to his game, don't get me wrong he's been good for us but its time he moved on and i would rather see players like evans da silva's and rodrigo get there chance :)
i think we can afford to let oshea go with the twins playing so well
 

· Registered
Joined
·
25,282 Posts
Id rather keep Johnner cos he's a great pro and does the job and I like him.
Im trying not listen to TheManc talking sense on the matter :rolleyes:

If it meant we got Berba then go for it but as I said Id rather he stayed put.
Tbh tonight O'Shea was our worst player. Lost the ball too much and never
looks too comfortable on it. When we have the likes of Hargo, Carrick and Giggs
who all didnt play tonight as well as Fletch, Anderson and Possebon who can
play CM, will John really get many more chances?
I like the guy but if he wants regular football he will have to leave. :(
 

· Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Id rather keep Johnner cos he's a great pro and does the job and I like him.
Im trying not listen to TheManc talking sense on the matter :rolleyes:

If it meant we got Berba then go for it but as I said Id rather he stayed put.
Tbh tonight O'Shea was our worst player. Lost the ball too much and never
looks too comfortable on it. When we have the likes of Hargo, Carrick and Giggs
who all didnt play tonight as well as Fletch, Anderson and Possebon who can
play CM, will John really get many more chances?
I like the guy but if he wants regular football he will have to leave. :(
In support to this argument any young player should not be played because someone else is stopping his development. If the manager picks a player it is because he has complete faith in his ability to do a decent job. O'Shea has come in when required and done the job. Its upto the youngster to take up the chances provided to him and make it count.
His abilities are limited as far as a player for Manchester united are concerned but his versatility is definately an asset and gives you so many options to play him. I agree he is not world class but you cannot have a world class player happy on the bench.
 

· Keen on Fella's
Joined
·
8,388 Posts
i would love to see some of the youngsters get a chance this season, but to suggest o`shea is holding up a players progress is retarded, he is in the squad/team on merit. show the lad some respect he has been fantastic for the club and to happily play a back up role for his entire career is a major sacrifice, he could easily have walked out and got regular football elsewhere, he hasnt, ronaldo got slaughtered for a lack of loyalty yet o`shea has shown plenty of it.

wise up he is exactly what is needed in a successfull squad.
 

· Moderator
Joined
·
26,045 Posts
thekeanefella said:
i would love to see some of the youngsters get a chance this season, but to suggest o`shea is holding up a players progress is retarded, he is in the squad/team on merit. show the lad some respect he has been fantastic for the club and to happily play a back up role for his entire career is a major sacrifice, he could easily have walked out and got regular football elsewhere, he hasnt, ronaldo got slaughtered for a lack of loyalty yet o`shea has shown plenty of it.

wise up he is exactly what is needed in a successfull squad.
Ooh, that was a bit strong, I thought. :p

I, for one, is in full support of youth development, the spine and blueprint for our future, whenever feasible. And there is no better time than now when we finally have a core bunch of exciting youngsters since Fergie's Fledgings in the early 90s. Even Fergie acknowledges that and is clearly excited, what more now with 7 substitutes previously impermissible.

I understand and largely agree with you about the importance of these squad players and their contributions whenever the needs arise. But where do we draw the line here? I mean, having JOS retiring together with the player(s) he is backing up is not exactly progress or forward looking, isn't it? Lol.

Take Possebon as an example. Not particularly impressive or outstanding in yesterday's game but I reckon the general consensus would be that it was still a credible performance and probably better than JOS's! From what we have seen so far, he is always so calm and collected on the ball, good distribution ability, does not hurry a pass or rush about as an over-zealous newbie would (reminded me so much of Kieran Richardson; lol). In one instance, he lost the ball in the middle of the park but chased back and won back the ball so coolly, almost effortlessly and with minimum fuss. Given some more cameo appearances to gain experience and a better sense of presence, I wouldn't assume JOS should be automatically ahead of him in the pecking order, at least in the postion as a CM. No?

A bit controversial and more tricky than first thought, I suppose, since our promising youngsters do need our support and opportunities too, if we truly want to both discover and polish some gems. So again, where to draw the line? I suspect an easier way out is obviously to entrust Fergie to find the balance.
 

· Least popular Moderator
Joined
·
26,061 Posts
versa said:
Ooh, that was a bit strong, I thought. :p

I, for one, is in full support of youth development, the spine and blueprint for our future, whenever feasible. And there is no better time than now when we finally have a core bunch of exciting youngsters since Fergie's Fledgings in the early 90s. Even Fergie acknowledges that and is clearly excited, what more now with 7 substitutes previously impermissible.

I understand and largely agree with you about the importance of these squad players and their contributions whenever the needs arise. But where do we draw the line here? I mean, having JOS retiring together with the player(s) he is backing up is not exactly progress or forward looking, isn't it? Lol.

Take Possebon as an example. Not particularly impressive or outstanding in yesterday's game but I reckon the general consensus would be that it was still a credible performance and probably better than JOS's! From what we have seen so far, he is always so calm and collected on the ball, good distribution ability, does not hurry a pass or rush about as an over-zealous newbie would (reminded me so much of Kieran Richardson; lol). In one instance, he lost the ball in the middle of the park but chased back and won back the ball so coolly, almost effortlessly and with minimum fuss. Given some more cameo appearances to gain experience and a better sense of presence, I wouldn't assume JOS should be automatically ahead of him in the pecking order, at least in the postion as a CM. No?

A bit controversial and more tricky than first thought, I suppose, since our promising youngsters do need our support and opportunities too, if we truly want to both discover and polish some gems. So again, where to draw the line? I suspect an easier way out is obviously to entrust Fergie to find the balance.
Agreed. I think that the squad players should, in general, be young players who can hopefully force themselves into the first team squad one day.

O'Shea is coming to that age, like Neville and Butt did, where he needs to play regularly at a 'lesser' club. FletcherIMO is the same except I think he should stay for one more year, when Rodrigo would take the role of squad player (or go out on loan, which I would actually prefer)

Plus, the need for a 'every position' player is lessened now we have the 7 subs. We can actually have 2 Midfielders, 2 defenders and 2 wingers on the bench now, instead of 1 of each and a guy who can do half a job in every position.
 
21 - 40 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top