Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Breaking into the first team
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool all reached the Champions League semi-finals last season, with United overcoming Chelsea on penalties in the Moscow-hosted final.

That is reflected in the shortlist, announced on Friday by UEFA, with 17 players from the 25-strong shortlist currently playing in England's top flight.

Last year's Champions League top scorer Cristiano Ronaldo, Liverpool's Fernando Torres and Chelsea's Frank Lampard will all be leading contenders for the award. Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Carles Puyol are also in contention.

The coaches of the 16 teams which reached the knock-out stages of last year's competition will cast their votes next Thursday, at the Champions League group stage draw in Monaco.

There are also awards for goalkeeper, defender, midfielder and forward of the year.

The list of nominees, from which the overall winner will be selected, is:

UEFA club goalkeeper of the year: Manuel Almunia (Arsenal), Petr Cech (Chelsea), Manuel Neuer (FC Schalke 04), Jose Reina (Liverpool), Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United).
UEFA club defender of the year: Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), John Terry (Chelsea), Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United).

UEFA club midfielder of the year: Michael Essien (Chelsea), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Paul Scholes (Manchester United).

UEFA club forward of the year: Didier Drogba (Chelsea), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Fernando Torres (Liverpool).

Who do u think it is... Ronaldo? :D

·
Breaking into the first team
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jerrakos said:
I was just about to make the same thread....
anyway back on topic...
I think it will be Ronaldo, who else could it be.
Looks like i beat u 2 it :D

Yeah, it will probably be Ronaldo..

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
I hate saying this but......does Rooney really deserve to be on that list?

Is it only European games?

He didn't have the best of seasons last year TBH, delighted he's in the mix and I'm sure it will boost his confidence.

No surprise with the other 3 United names in there either....hope Scholsey makes it!

·
Registered
934 Posts
abojodeh said:
Who will win the best defender Vidic or Ferdinand ?
imo Vidic done better at UCL
tough choice
rio played more as vidic was injured a bit
both their play was exceptional and consistant
hard to seperate...
leave it up to the judges :)

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
in the Final Vidic played better
Ferdinand was about to score an own-goal
imo Vida should win it, but the judges would choose Rio cuz hes the captain or something like that

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Keano! said:
I hate saying this but......does Rooney really deserve to be on that list?

Is it only European games?

He didn't have the best of seasons last year TBH, delighted he's in the mix and I'm sure it will boost his confidence.

No surprise with the other 3 United names in there either....hope Scholsey makes it!
i dont think Rooney deserves it

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Ronaldo should surely be in with the midfielders, Torres deserves best attacker but against Ronaldo he has no hope!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
CarlitoTevez said:
How dare you! Hes a Good Partner with me
:p ;)

Quite funny actually.

But back on topic, I think Ronaldo will win it, but Rooney doesn't deserve to be on the list.

I hope 4 Man Utd players win the awards but I think it will be;

UEFA club goalkeeper of the year: Petr Cech (Chelsea),

UEFA club defender of the year: Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United) or John Terry (Chelsea),

UEFA club midfielder of the year: Michael Essien (Chelsea)

UEFA club forward of the year: Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United)

I think Van Der Sar, Ferdinand and Ronaldo deserve it, but somehow I think Terry and Cech may end up winning it, no matter how little they deserve it.

PS - You forgot to highlight Vidic's name in the Defender list. ;)

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I must be only the CL otherwise Cassillas would be in there.

My pick would be:

GK
VDS: Kept us in the game vs Sporting away, brilliant save vs Roma away, steady in the CL semis and of course saved THE penalty.

Defender
Rio Ferdinand: BCBITW - thats it really. His perfomances in the 1/2 finals and 1/4 finals were incredible. Played well in the final aswell (vidic should be in it as he missed the 1/2 finals and most of the 1/4 finals - great in the final though)

Midfielder
Cesc Fabregas: Say what you want but he had a brilliant CL campaign. He ran the show vs Milan and was very good vs Liverpool. (Didn't he win it last year? Scholes should have definately won it in 06/07)

Striker/Attacker
Cristiano Ronaldo: I don't really need to explain this choice.

abojodeh said:
in the Final Vidic played better
Ferdinand was about to score an own-goal
imo Vida should win it, but the judges would choose Rio cuz hes the captain or something like that
Vidic missed both semi's and most of the 1/4 finals though so you can't give it to him. Rio was eceptional for the matches vs Roma and Barcam Vidic was only amazing vs Chelsea - a game in which Rio was also very good in.

I'd be interested to see what any none manutd fans think though as obviously we're all biased.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts