Manchester United Talk banner
41 - 60 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Claude Makalele

Arguably the reason why Chelsea won back to back Premiership trophies. He was so good that his more attacking minded team mates didn't even have to think about tracking back. The defensive midfield position has even been dubbed as the "Makelele Role" by some people. One of the best players to have played in the Prem. Over 200 games from 03-08.

Fernando Hierro:
Quote:
"I think Claude has this kind of gift - he's been the best player in the team for years but people just don't notice him, don't notice what he does. But you ask anyone at Real Madrid during the years we were talking about and they will tell you he was the best player at Real. We all knew, the players all knew he was the most important. The loss of Makélélé was the beginning of the end for Los Galacticos... You can see that it was also the beginning of a new dawn for Chelsea. He was the base, the key and I think he is the same to Chelsea now."

Honours:

English Premiership (2005, 2006)
English League Cup (2005, 2007)
English Community Shield (2005)
FA Cup (2007)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Gary Neville is my pick.

Gary Neville is arguably Manchester United's (and Englands) best ever right back, making over 500 appearances, and becoming United's captain in 2005.
Manchester United

FA Premier League: 1995-96, 1996-97, 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2000-01, 2002-03, 2006-07,2007-08
UEFA Champions League: 1999, 2008
Intercontinental Cup: 1999
FA Cup: 1996, 1999, 2004
League Cup: 2006
FIFA Club World Cup: 2008

Gary Neville Personal Honours

PFA Team of the Year: 1999, 2005, 2007

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
David Seaman

All the best teams have a solid, reliable goalkeeper that breathes confidence across the back line. David Seaman did just that at Arsenal, making 405 appearances for the London club. He always managed to pull off a save that most keepers would stand and watch go by them, and more often then not tip it around the post, parry it clear or smother with his big frame. 3 League titles, 4 FA Cups, and a League Cup can go to his name, and the man who was Englands number one fully deserves a place in my team.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts

One of the best or probably THE best defender the premiership has seen, Tony Adams captained Arsenal at just 21. His entire playing career spanned over 22 years in which he won four league titles, three FA cups, two league cups a cup winners cup and three FA community shields. He is a natural born leader and a world class defender. Any team needs a solid back four and having Tony Adams in it would make it anything but shaky.

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Cesc Fabregas

With the midfielders going thick and fast, I thought i'd better get some quality in there before it's too late. Fabregas is a simply brillant player, supreme psser of the ball and imo Arsenal best player. Even in his tender age he has already acheieved so, so much. My round two pick is Francesc Fabregas.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Micheal Ballack

Perterswellman is right, quality midfielders are going thick and fast. I need a player who will function as my engine room, is strong, can score goals, can pass, has good vision, is good in the air, is good with both feet, has great technique and is a natural leader. Michael Ballack is all these and more. He is a complete midfielder and is still world class.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Mikel Arteta

Decided to take Mikel now, as it was too risky saving him for my next pick. He's a class act, simple as. One of the best freekick takers in the Premier League and how many times does he come up wth the goods for Everton? Answer...a lot! Joined the Toffees in 2005 after being on loan with them and he's made 117 and counting appearances for the blue side of Mersyside. In the 2006-07 season, he even won the Midfielder of the Year as voted by SkySports viewers, beating one Cristiano Ronaldo to the acolade...The best teams have great suppliers to the forwards and thats just what Arteta gives to a team. be it on the left wing, the right or through the middle all teams have to pay close attention to his abilities or else he'll slice them apart with a clinical through ball or a fizzing shot into the top corner of the goal! My third pick goes to Mikel Arteta!

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Marcel Desailly

Marcel Desailly is quite simply one of the greatest center - halves to have played in European football over the past two decades. He should be on the shortlist for any pan European XI since the 1994 world cup.

It is very important to forget his final season at Chelsea when he suffered a sharp decline in his physical abilities. That decline culminated in a miserable performance away against Monaco in the 2004 champions league semi - final. A performance that was made all the worse by the infamous comments on his race that Ron Atkinson made in the ITV studios after the game.

What people should instead focus on is his first three seasons in England when he was dominant. At the end of his first two years in England he impressively marshaled the French defense to the European Championship - an indication of just how good he was at the time.

Desailly possessed amazing physical tools and a great understanding of the positional requirements of the role. In the early part of his career (when he played in the best league around at the time) he was more commonly used as a destructive force in central midfield and this experience contributed to his above average use of possession from the back. Desailly amounted to a player who was brave, strong, fast and smart - and ultimately very, very tough to get the better of.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Robert Pires One of the best wingers to grace the Prem. Part of Arsenal's perfect season.
Won many a trophy, awesome player and versatile as well.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
David James is my 3rd pick

He's played for Liverpool, Villa, West Ham, City and Pompey throughout his years as a Premiership keeper. IMO he's a cracking keeper and every team needs a solid keeper, and I feel I have mine now :cool: He may make the odd *ahem* error, but theres no doubting he's a cracking shot stopper and one of the best around, explaining why he's England's No.1

Also, the most impressive thing about James is that he has racked up the most app's in the Premiership, almost 550 Premiership appearances!

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts

my 3rd will be rio ferdinand, why? the most expensive defender in the world has shown throughout his united caree that he is truly world class. although he has had some dodgy moments, he is on his way to becoming a united all time great.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Gary Pallister

My next pick is Gary Pallister, who was at Manchester United throughout the glory years at Manchester United. He won the Premier League four times, in '93, '94, '96 and '97. He was an excellent defender, who had an excellent partnership with Steve Bruce. They complemented each other perfectly, and is particulary in the model of the modern-day Rio Ferdinand.

Alongside his four Premier League medals, he has 3 FA Cups, a CWC, and a League Cup medal.

A true great player, although his success was mostly at club level as he was undershadowed at international level.

Gary Pallister.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Nemanja Vidic

An absolute stalwarth in United's team for the last 3 years and is destined to win this years Player of the season Award. He has undoubtedly been the main man to thank for our recent 14 clean sheet run. His igning also coincided with our 3 in a row, which really highlights the difference the guy has made. In my Opinion, the best centre back in the world and I am delighted ti have been able to pick my first choice centre back : Nemanja Vidic

G

·

Emmanuel Adebayor

When on form he's almost unplayable. He's a great target man, good in the air and with the ball at his feet. He can score headers, close range clinical finishes and long range shots. If you give him chances he'll score goals for you. His average is just under one goal for every two games, that's a goal rate most top strikers would be proud of.

·
Banned
11,551 Posts

Nicholas "Nicky" Butt (born 21 January 1975) is an English footballer who currently plays for Newcastle United. Butt is primarily a defensive midfielder, and a former England international. He is one of only four players to have played in every season of the Premier League, alongside Sol Campbell, David James and Ryan Giggs.

·
HODOR!
7,033 Posts
Sol Campbell

Sulzeer Jeremiah "Sol" Campbell (born 18 September 1974 in Plaistow, London) is a professional football player currently playing for English Premier League club Portsmouth F.C..
Campbell started his professional career at Tottenham Hotspur, where he spent nine years. He caused outrage amongst their fan base & London newspapers when he failed to sign a new contract in 2001 and moved to bitter rivals Arsenal on a free transfer.
With 73 caps, he is the only player to have represented England in six consecutive major tournaments.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

My pick for this round is Patrice Evra. Despite having a less than perfect start in English football, Patrice Evra has come into his own. Able to attack down the left flank, overlapping and providing space for a winger, Evra is an intregal part of United's attack. Not to mention his defensive qualities, which in my opinion makes him the best fullback in the world today.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'll take Steve McManamanamanamanamanaman.

Pretty late to be getting this kind of player with ten years as a top player at a top premiership club under his belt. Bryan Robson-"everyone in the Premiership knows that if you stop McManaman, you stop Liverpool". There's no point pasting a slab of text from wikipedia because we all know this guy was a class act with pace dribbling shooting and tricks being a few of many attributes he had at his disposal. Although I do believe he is a little fairy boy and is one of three responsible for turning the premier league into the gucci handbags at dawn it is today ;). Just noticed i now have two Arsenal and a Liverpool. Hope this doesn't count against me.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
I will go for Marc Overmars

Marc Overmars (born March 29, 1973 in Emst) is a Dutch football player. He is best known as a right-footed left-winger, although he is able to use both his feet with equal precision and power. Known for his speed, Overmars' nicknames included "the Roadrunner" or simply "meep-meep."

Later was sold for £25 mill to barcelona which pretty much sums up how good he was and also apparently according to wiki is the most expensive dutch player ever pretty much tells how good he was. Had some serious leg injuries but his directness, his speed, ability on the ball and an eye to create and score goals, really makes him a handful. Would be a great winger/forward type player for any club.

pz!

·
Banned
27,712 Posts

Séamus John James "Shay" Given (born 20 April 1976), is an Irish footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for Manchester City and the Republic of Ireland. After leaving Celtic in 1994 having been deemed surplus to requirements and after just 19 starts for the club, Given was part of the Sunderland team who won the Football League First Division title in 1995–96, while on loan from Blackburn Rovers. He was signed by Newcastle in 1997, and it was there that he began competing to be a first-choice Premier League goalkeeper. Given was part of the teams who came runners-up in the 1998 and 1999 FA Cup campaigns, and was named in the Premier League Team of the Season for 2001–02 and 2005–06. He has played in the Champions League and UEFA Cup with Newcastle, and was involved in the club's title challenge in 2001–02. Although he submitted a transfer request during the 2000–01 campaign after losing his position in the starting lineup, it was denied, and Given went on to regain his place. On 1 February 2009, Given transferred to Manchester City for an undisclosed fee reported to be around £8 million.

He gained his first international cap in 1996, and has since competed in every World Cup qualifying and European Championship qualifying campaign for his national team. He played in goal during every match for his country during the 2002 World Cup campaign, helping them to reach the knockout stages. With 92 national caps, Given is Ireland's most-capped goalkeeper, and fourth highest-capped player.

41 - 60 of 219 Posts