Manchester United Talk banner

Priorities?

1K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  Cappy 
#1 ·
The manager has once more claimed that winning the Champions League is his No.1 priority this season.

For me the priorities will always be different:

1. Premier League
2. Champions League
3. FA Cup
4. League Cup

Even when we overtake the scousers I'll always want to be English Champions before European Champions. I remember when the scousers won the European Cup and finished 5th in the League - no way could even they claim to be the best team in Europe . . .

#2 ·
i will always say the league title is more important than the champions league , if you ain't champions of your own country you should not be allowed into the tournament to start with. i might sound a little old fashioned and i realise utd have benefited from this format , likewise most winners of the champions league have it should be champions only , not most big teams from europe they just want to make big money from more games.

G
#4 ·
The league is always the priority for me. The Champions League is a cup which requires a bit of luck to win and is rarely won by the actual best team in Europe. But in the league you have to be consistently good for the entire season.

#10 ·
Champions League. And if we win the CL this year it will the same next year.

3 CL's just isn't good enough for a club like ours.

The only thing missing from us in our history is a dominating team.

Look at clubs like Madrid, Milan, Liverpool, Bayern, Ajax, Juveuntus (3 finals).

They have all had a dominating team and can all have a case for being the greatest team. We are yet to have that.

Back to back CL's would be a dream and would make history.

However, if this scenario meant that Liverpool would win the league then I'd change my mind and say the League.

Another bad thing is if we didn't win the league (but won the CL) then we would have bottled the title having been in a good position.

I'd say either.

#12 ·
How do you figure the FA Cup is our biggest priority? Granted, it is one of the greatest cup comps in the world, but think about other things. 18 Premiership titles this season, potentially? The first team to win back to back CLs? I'd personally take either of those over the FA Cup.

#17 ·
TheManc said:
Champions League. And if we win the CL this year it will the same next year.

3 CL's just isn't good enough for a club like ours.

The only thing missing from us in our history is a dominating team.

Look at clubs like Madrid, Milan, Liverpool, Bayern, Ajax, Juveuntus (3 finals).

They have all had a dominating team and can all have a case for being the greatest team. We are yet to have that.

Back to back CL's would be a dream and would make history.

However, if this scenario meant that Liverpool would win the league then I'd change my mind and say the League.

Another bad thing is if we didn't win the league (but won the CL) then we would have bottled the title having been in a good position.

I'd say either.

Totally agree with the point made.

Winning the league requires a lot of consistency while the cup games require a bit of luck. But winning the Champions League gives a team the pride of being the best and beating the best from all over the continent and that is why I consider the Champions League as the priority. I still think that three European Cups is a little less as compared to the other teams as mentioned by TM.

I still think that even if Fergie says CL is the priority, he'll still be trying to win the league as much as the CL. We certainly won't play like Scousers with a second string team before a CL match. We may just rest one or two players.

1. Champions League
2. Premier League
3. FA Cup
4. League Cup

#18 ·
Cappy said:
Men
United
Kids
them 2 words in the same sentence scare me :p how did you have kids with men?

anyway as for priorities for me it would have to go

Prem title (its always best to be no1 in your league)

Fa cup (some may not agree but a league and domestic cup double is a fantastic achievement)

Champs league (the hardest of them all to win hence why i feel a lesser one to focus on, sure its amazing to win it but i think teams sometimes tend to aim at this and then there season goes down the pan and they win nowt i.e. chelski)

Carling cup (were already in the final so not really much to focus on there all thats important is the starting line up and who hopefully lifts the trophy)
:cool:

#22 ·
1. Premier League
2. Carling Cup

3. Champions League
4. FA Cup

18th Epl would be nice in one of the final seasons of Fergie's manegment
a Carling cup would be a thank you for the young players who without them we wouldn't have been in the final

the ucl is very hard imo and the Fa cup would be exhausting for our team

#26 ·
ReddestFront said:
The manager has once more claimed that winning the Champions League is his No.1 priority this season.

For me the priorities will always be different:

1. Premier League
2. Champions League
3. FA Cup
4. League Cup

Even when we overtake the scousers I'll always want to be English Champions before European Champions. I remember when the scousers won the European Cup and finished 5th in the League - no way could even they claim to be the best team in Europe . . .
I agree with every word you typed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.