Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BRISBANE, Australia - Australian doctors said they plugged a poisoned Italian tourist into a vodka drip after running out of the medicinal alcohol they would normally have used to save his life.

The 24-year-old Italian, who was not further identified, was diagnosed as having ingested a large quantity of ethylene glycol, a common ingredient in antifreeze that can cause renal failure.

Pure alcohol is often given in treating such cases because it can inhibit the toxic effects of ethylene glycol.

Dr. Pascal Gelperowicz at Mackay Base Hospital where the man was taken for treatment said he was given pharmaceutical-grade alcohol on arrival, but that the hospital's supplies soon ran out.

"We quickly used all the available vials of 100 percent alcohol and decided the next best way to get alcohol into the man's system was by feeding him spirits through a nasogastric tube," Gelperowicz said in a statement.

"The patient was drip-fed about three standard drinks an hour for three days in the intensive care unit," he said. "The hospital's administrators were also very understanding when we explained our reasons for buying a case of vodka."

The patient made a successful recovery. The incident occurred about two months ago, though the hospital just released information on the case.


http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21219366/from/ET/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,608 Posts
:eek: not right now is it good for me. Just come in from the pub after playing league darts and my head thumps like Gerrard diving onto the deck!!!! Bed soon after the tablets!!!! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
Red Devil said:
:eek: not right now is it good for me. Just come in from the pub after playing league darts and my head thumps like Gerrard diving onto the deck!!!! Bed soon after the tablets!!!! :eek:
sweet, i don't play darts but i love watching it, i went to the PDC premier league at the winter gardens in blackpool earlier this year the atmosphere was unreal.

i drunk about 4 jugs of cider, and ending up with about half a gallon all over me, what people had spilled dancing on the tables, it was a great night out highly recommended
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top