39th Game?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ferguson slams 39th game idea

Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson has dismissed renewed interest in a 39th Premier League game to be played in Asia as folly.

The plan, still-born after first being floated in February, received cautious backing from Asia last week but United's fiery manager insisted there was no room in the calendar.

"I don't think there will ever be a 39th game and I don't believe there should be," the Scot said after United's arrival in Japan for the Club World Cup.

"Certainly I'm not in favour of it. You look at our domestic programme allied to our cup competitions - it's impossible."

Ferguson made no secret of his disgust when the Premier League initially made the proposal, claiming the clubs had not been properly consulted.

Asian football chief Mohamed Bin Hammam, along with FIFA president Sepp Blatter and UEFA chief Michel Platini, were also vociferous opponents.

However, Hammam has since softened his stance and Premier League boss Richard Scudamore visited Tokyo last week to announce a tie-up to help boost the game in the continent.

The exchange could eventually pave the way for games to be played in Hammam's giant territory, although there is expected to be strong resistance from England's top clubs.

Ferguson's side play Japan's Gamba Osaka in Yokohama on Thursday in the semi-final of the Club World Cup. The final takes place on December 21

Eurosport

Do you agree the 39th game ?

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
No way I think its a complete waste of time
Get the players even more tired unecesarily
The Premiershop already has enough popularity around the world

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plus, this will be unfair...Can't you see why ??? What if on the 39th game, ManUtd will face West Brom, Chelsea vs Arsenal and Liverpool vs Spurs....How can that be.....

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Poll added.

Yes - Have the 39th game
No - Do Not have the 39th game

Are you in favour of this idea? It will see all the prem teams travelling abroad to
play one extra game at the end of the season.

Views...

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
No.

Its a ridiculous idea imo and it will make the Premiership a worse league, albeit slightly. I don't even know why they're considering it.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Keano! said:
Yeah, I suppose so.

But, there's already too many games, never mind adding an extra league game will which will played at the other side of the World.

EDIT: And its not like we need any more money tbh.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
The only thing I cant think of is a summer tournament in another continent with only Premiership teams or only European teams.
That would be an intelligent and profitable way of exporting football.

S

·
0 Posts
Because I'm DC said:
So how does the time difference thing work out then? Surely they'd lose money if it's on really early in the morning or whatever over here.
They'd lose money from tv audiences figures over here, but probably quadruple their loss from the Asian side of the market.

Vote NO !!

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
forzaunited said:
i voted yes i like the idea of premir league teams abroad be fun to see what their reactions would be like to the climate

:eek:....nothing more to add reall...this --->:eek:<--- says it all really

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Pretty soon this will be the table:

1. United
2. Real Madrid
3. Inter
4. Barca
5. Bayern

and so on....and so on... and so on...

There's so little left of what makes football great, and even more commercialization would just be tragic.

·
Registered
542 Posts
piazza said:
Pretty soon this will be the table:

1. United
2. Real Madrid
3. Inter
4. Barca
5. Bayern

and so on....and so on... and so on...

There's so little left of what makes football great, and even more commercialization would just be tragic.
i know that advert where cesc tricks henry is great :p

yeh i agree its getting too commercilized there has too be a limit of course

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
forzaunited said:
i know that advert where cesc tricks henry is great :p

yeh i agree its getting too commercilized there has too be a limit of course
I don't know what the hell you are talking about to be completely honest.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts