Manchester United Talk banner

Question regarding the word "world-class " (again )

3K views 84 replies 15 participants last post by  CROoney 
Not that clear cut it seems. Highly contentious at best....

CROoney said:
but if let's say gibson produces a world class PERFORMANCE against chelsea , will he go down in a history books as the world class player ? no.
A non world-class player can indeed produce a world-class performance in a match; once in his lifetime or once in a blue moon.

CROoney said:
you see - even if ronaldo , oh let's say , never scores a goal again , and starts performing so badly that he loses the place in our team, he would still be world class for my definition - you can't put a time limit on it - you either are or you aint ! same goes for messi !
So based on the same argument, can you really (continue) to label someone as world class if he is unable to produce world-class performance anymore?

CROoney said:
but we're talking about world class players - to be more precise - there are people who will brand a player world class only when he has played on the highest level for 4-5 years - that's what i disagree with and my question was aimed at those people
He may have to do that over a sustainable period to qualify as a world-class player then. I concede that "sustainable period' is vague and contentious too.

According to dictionary.com,

world-class
   /ˈwɜrldˈklæs, -ˈklɑs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [wurld-klas, -klahs] Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. ranking among the world's best; outstanding: a world-class orchestra.
2. attracting or comprising world-class players, performers, etc.: a world-class tennis tournament.
3. Informal. being a notorious example of its kind: a world-class slob.
Also, worldclass.

Origin:
1945–50

Sounds most logical. Then again, it is also contentious. Must the yardstick "world's best" and/or "outstanding" necessary be "world class" for a "sustainable period"?

What do others reckon?

CROoney said:
----yes i can... a fact that he was the best player in the world once puts him there imo
You have not really defined your classification of "world class" like you claimed you have the definition. Or only once-voted best player in the world need apply? No time frame needed, no need for consistency over any "sustainable period"? So even if he goes downhill thereafter, he is still "world class"?! Or should we then say he was "world class"?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.