Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that if you play football (or have done in the past)
you know more about the game than someone who has never really played?
Discuss.....

Im just interested in people's views on this.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
I know loads about Football I may **** about on the site but I have a great knowledge of football not just the facts the game aswell.

As Ive qouted before Im a very good player and I think I would like to coach and manage a youth team when I stop playing .

Amature odviosly.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I think you those of us who have played, know what its like to be in the trenches, and can understand some of the players' actions on the pitch, and understand more how hard it really is. That's about it really, after that I don't think it really matters.

·
Breaking into the first team
654 Posts
piazza said:
I think you those of us who have played, know what its like to be in the trenches, and can understand some of the players' actions on the pitch, and understand more how hard it really is. That's about it really, after that I don't think it really matters.
Just lika Mama Used To Saya. :D

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Not necessarily. But yeah I think it is easier to understand the anger of players when they attack refs over certain inciidents which they deem harsh.

·
Davey baby chips 'n' gravy
4,055 Posts
I play for a local team called Hartlepool Rovers and I feel that you do know more than someone who hasn't really played football, not necessarily alot more though. Mainly because you as a player know what it's like to be in the mix of the action and I can see things first hand.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
I agree.

When you don't play football you may have knowledge about the rules of the game or facts as usual.

However, some things yo can never really leaarn without playing - the pace of the game, things like team chemistry, positioning or just celebrating a goal you've scored yourself.

Following football withouht playing it is like Ronaldo without his stepovers :)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
manutd004 said:
Well, two managers who haven't played are Wenger and Mourinho and what do they know? :rolleyes:
Of course they have played.....just not at a really high level.
I just think that the experience of actually playing football yourself,
gives you a better insight into certain areas/factors of the game.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
you don't have to have played the game at any level to have an understanding...look at some of the more successful foreign coaches a lot of them didnt make the grade as players...now in the professional game you could say they couldn't manage or gain the respect of players, clubs and fans etc yet some of these so called useless players have turned out to be great managers.

you can use that argument about any memeber of the public, to say we can only understand the game if we have played to a certain level, i played for a local team at amateaur level yet that gives me no greater right to commenet on, or insight into the game than anyone else who studies/ watches football a lot

·
Registered
734 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
Not necessarily. But yeah I think it is easier to understand the anger of players when they attack refs over certain inciidents which they deem harsh.
yea thats a big 1, i go mad at refs if they give a bad decision against me, someone who never played couldnt understand how annoying that is.
people who play the game i think probably do have a better insight in the way the players react in certain situations and the importance of being a team player and things like that.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Boomhauer50 said:
yea thats a big 1, i go mad at refs if they give a bad decision against me, someone who never played couldnt understand how annoying that is.
people who play the game i think probably do have a better insight in the way the players react in certain situations and the importance of being a team player and things like that.
lol so I take it you have been sent off for bollocking a ref?
I know I have......:D
Thats why I dont mind seeing Rooney go off oon one like a raging bull. It shows passion and determination.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
I dont think playing the game gives us any more insight as that of a spectator.I think watching/reading the game week in week out can help to give the best knowledge of the game,but also playing week in week out at a top level will give you a great deal of info_Obviously some will say you read the game in a different light on the pitch as to off it,and i think it takes a different mindset to view in each situation.I guess im tryin to say that a Top flight manager wasnt necessarily at the top of his playing game,and also someone who was awesome on the pitch doesnt always make a good manager.Everyone has individual views on whats and wrong with the game and thats what makes football the greatest sport on earth,the versitilaity,the passion,from grass roots to the Prem.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
lol so I take it you have been sent off for bollocking a ref?
I know I have......:D
Thats why I dont mind seeing Rooney go off oon one like a raging bull. It shows passion and determination.
haha no i was never sent off thank god i know the refs :D
im the same with Rooney i dont mind seeing him kinda loose it either hes not 2 extreme hes always walking away when hes Fing and blinding so its not too bad, thats what i think people who hasnt played the game dont get anyway.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Of course they have played.....just not at a really high level.
I just think that the experience of actually playing football yourself,
gives you a better insight into certain areas/factors of the game.
Sorry. Wenger has played.

But I don't think Mourinho played very much. I'm sure he started to play then decided that he would have preferred management.

Anyway, I don't think it makes that big a difference. It may help in some areas but I don't really think it's a major advantage imo.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
it does give you a different perspective about the game, obviously living it personally gives you a better feel and understanding.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I think it depends on what level you play(ed), but in general I think it makes a huge difference.

From Canada, I played (still play) and coached competitive hockey - I never played football at any level. Although I have been watching religiously for many years, and consider myself fairly knowlegdable (ahem), I do feel though that not having actually played the game does put me at a disadvantage when it comes to some of it's nuances.

I will always feel my knowledge of hockey is greater, but I am learning all the time. After all, why else would I come on this forum and discuss the game with such obvious experts! ;)

...with the sole exception of reddave, of course! :p

edit - Now that I think about it, I know a lot of guys who played hockey all their live and still know sweet fa about it. It depends, I guess....

ps

1 - 20 of 21 Posts