Manchester United Talk banner

Rafa Benitez

5K views 81 replies 46 participants last post by  versa 
RAFA`S RANT: THE FULL TRANSCRIPT
http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4770329,00.html

Here is the content of Rafael Benitez's press conference, where he read from a dossier in response to Sir Alex's complaints about the Christmas fixture programme...

"I was surprised by what has been said, but maybe they (Manchester United) are nervous because we are at the top of the table.

"But I want to talk about facts. I want to be clear, I do not want to play mind games too early, although they seem to want to start.

"But I have seen some facts. On November 1, they played Hull and Mr Ferguson had a two-match touchline ban and a £10,000 fine after confronting Mike Dean, the referee, for improper conduct.

"We started the Respect campaign, and that was when (Javier) Mascherano was sent off (last season) at Old Trafford.

"The referee (Steve Bennett) was the referee when they played against Wigan - he could not see the handball against Wigan by Rio Ferdinand, he did not give a penalty. They won the game and they won the title in this game.

"I think it will be the same referee who will be in charge of their game in hand this season (against Wigan).

"During the Respect campaign - and this is a fact - Mr Ferguson was charged by the FA for improper conduct after comments made about Martin Atkinson and Keith Hackett.

"He was not punished. He is the only manager in the league that cannot be punished for these things.

"Then he was talking about the fixtures. Two years ago we were playing a lot of early kick-offs away on Saturdays when United were playing on Sundays. And we didn't say anything.

"Now he is complaining about everything, that everybody is against United. But the second half of the season will see them playing at home against all the teams at the top of the table, it is a fantastic advantage.

"But at Christmas, United played on the 29th and the rest of the teams played on the 28th. We were away against Newcastle two days after playing Bolton. They were playing about 40 hours later, they were not complaining then.

"And about his behaviour with referees. The Southampton manager he knows how Mr Ferguson works and how he works, he was very clear. I am not playing mind games, just facts.

"If he wants to talk about fixtures, and have a level playing field as you say in England. There are two options if we don't want more problems with fixtures.

"One is the same as in Spain, the draw for the first part of the league is known, everyone knows which weekend. In the second half everyone plays the opposite, so you all know.

"Sky and Setanta have the right to choose their games and it will be the same for everyone. So Mr Ferguson will not be complaining about fixtures and a campaign against United.

"Or there is another option. That Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

"We know what happens every time we go to Old Trafford and the United staff. They are always going man to man with the referees, especially at half-time when they walk close to the referees and they are talking and talking.

"All managers need to know is that only Mr Ferguson can talk about the fixtures, can talk about referees and nothing happens.

"We need to know that I am taking about facts, not my impression. There are things that everyone can see every single week.

"Are they under pressure? Maybe they were not thinking that we would be at the top of the table in January. But we are at the top of the table and they are nervous.

"I am not telling the authorities what to do. But I have been here for five years and know how things are going on. I will be watching United's game with Chelsea.

"The result does not matter to us, if we win at Stoke that result does not matter.

"I was surprised United wanted to start the mind games too early, maybe it is because we are top of the table. But I only wanted to explain our position.

"It is a massive difference to play early on a Saturday, say, after a European match in midweek.

"But they will play the second half of the season with home matches against the other top teams, and that is a massive advantage to them.

"They cannot complain about the fixtures after they were playing on December 29 while the rest played on the 28th.

"I have decided that I had a lot of information and I have been watching every single week what has been going on. Then they started talking about us, but every single week we know they will be talking.

"But we want to stay at the top and maybe they will talk about us right to the end.

"To hear someone talking when he has problems with referees every single week, and now complaining about the fixtures and complaining about everything, I think that is not fair.

"You can see every single week how they put (referees) under pressure, we know this. We have seen it before. We have seen players sent off at Old Trafford and we do not see our opponents sent off.

"It is part of the game. But to complain and to always have an advantage is not fair.

"We had a meeting in Manchester with managers and FA about the Respect campaign. And I was very clear, forget the campaign because Mr Ferguson was killing the referees, killing Mr Atkinson, killing Mr Hackett.

"But he is not punished. How can you talk about the respect campaign and

criticise the referee every single week?

"You can analyse the facts and come to your own decision and ideas

"There is still no news about my contract, my agent has not received any documents so he is a little bit disappointed. But we will see.

"I would rather not talk too much about this, though, when we have an important game ahead.''

Wenger shocked at Benitez outburst against Ferguson
http://www.northantset.co.uk/premier/Wenger-shocked-at-Benitez-outburst.4863781.jp

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger tonight expressed his "surprise" after Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez claimed his Manchester United counterpart Sir Alex Ferguson had openly criticised referees and got away with it.
The Reds boss hit out yesterday at what he saw as Ferguson's complete ignorance of the Football Association's 'Respect' campaign towards officials, and complaints by the United boss about the Premier League fixture list.

Wenger admitted it was a shock to hear the usually composed and reserved Benitez say such things but insisted he did not expect it would have any bearing on the race for the Premier League title.

"It came as a complete surprise, because he is usually a quiet man and I would not like to comment further on that. I do not know what it was really about," the Gunners boss said after his side's 1-0 win over Bolton.

"I do not know what he (Ferguson] is doing - you do not know either, nobody knows in the country!

"But if Alex Ferguson, or Benitez or I do something which is not right, you have people around the referees who can make reports.

"I believe it is important we focus on the game, if we see something abnormal we can say it, which I did at Aston Villa after the game (when Wenger claimed referee Lee Mason was influenced after being given 'stick' by Villa staff).

"But apart from that, I couldn't see any deep problem there with English football.

"It is hard to determine what influence this will have on the results of the teams."

versa said:
The signs are encouraging nonetheless. Either he is biting the bait now or he is trying to be too smart. :p
He's cage has been rattled that's for sure.

He's been in ill-health lately and when you are not 100% health-wise, you become very weary, very defensive and lash out.

he's lashing out now man, he doesn't want to be seen as weak, yet he doesn't want to be seen as irrational - that's why the paper with the "facts".

it was a joke though...he was so angry he couldn't even read the bloody facts properly. either that or his handwriting is worse than mine.

No regrets from Rafa about Rant
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4777140,00.html

Reds boss refuses to back down

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez insists he has no regrets about his tirade at Sir Alex Ferguson as he took another swipe at the Scot.

Benitez, who stunned the football world, with his outspoken attack on Ferguson at his press conference on Friday, refused to back down on his attack on the Manchester United chief.

Speaking after the disappointing goalless draw at Stoke, Benitez continued his tirade at Ferguson by suggesting the United manager is "nervous and scared" of the current Premier League leaders.

The draw put Liverpool four points clear at the top of the table and Benitez has revealed he has received a lot of support for his criticism of Ferguson.

No regrets

"In 20 years nobody could say these things but maybe a lot of people are thinking the same as me. I do not regret saying it," insisted Benitez.

"I can guarantee a lot of people have sent a lot of messages, not to me but to our staff and a lot of people in Liverpool. It is one person saying what everyone wants to say.

"But I was not thinking about what people think, I was thinking about my club and Mr Ferguson's comments on Liverpool this season. You can understand why."

Asked if he thought Ferguson was nervous, Benitez responded: "Clearly", before adding: "Maybe he is a little bit scared."

Benitez admits he will be watching Sunday's showdown between Manchester United and Chelsea with the Spaniard conceding a draw would be the best result for his side.

Perfect result

"I cannot change the game so I will stay at home, watch it on television and enjoy," added Benitez.

"It is clear both cannot win. We will see what happens. A draw could be a perfect result.

"I know him (Ferguson) for five years now and people are saying he is playing mind games. I think it is too early.

"He is talking too much about Liverpool. He has to think about his own team, the problems they have and all the things they are doing."

Benitez admitted his side were far from their best as they were held to a frustrating stalemate by struggling Stoke.

"We started the game really well and in the first 20-25 minutes we had a lot of possession," noted Benitez.

"After that we gave them belief and hope with free-kicks and corners. The second half was 50-50.

"These kinds of games are difficult against a team that is working hard and getting players behind the ball.

"It is not easy to find space and create too many opportunities. But it is one more point, we are still at the top of the table and in a fantastic position."

versa said:
daily express

RAFA: GILL'S ROLE AT UTD IS ‘STRANGE'

“I don't need to put pressure on Manchester United. They are under pressure, they know they are, because when you talk too much about another team that means you are under pressure. I need to change my mobile phone because it is blocked with messages.

Then shut the **** up you retarded Spanish pea****!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.