Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The English press is reporting that England striker Emile Heskey is poised to make a surprise return to Liverpool next summer.

Heskey spent four seasons at Liverpool after joining for a then-record fee of £11million in 2000. The former Leicester City player scored 22 goals during his first full season on Merseyside and struck up an excellent partnership with Michael Owen, but his output gradually dwindled over the years and he was sold to Birmingham City in 2004.

Now, after several years in the wilderness, Heskey is making headlines with his exceptional performances alongside Wayne Rooney for England. Several clubs are reported to be interested, and Wigan Athletic boss Steve Bruce has confessed several times that he has little hope of holding onto the 30-year-old if the big boys come knocking.

Heskey revealed yesterday that he is desperate to play in the Champions League once again, and both the Daily Mail and The Sun claim that Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is eager to give him that opportunity.

The Reds are in the market for a centre-forward, as they currently possess precious little cover for start striker Fernando Torres. David N'Gog is nexperienced, while Dirk Kuyt has found his niche on the right flank and Robbie Keane does his best work behind the front-man.

Benitez is a known admirer of unselfish, hard-working attackers - as evidenced by his willingness to spend over £30million on Kuyt and Keane - and would consider Heskey an ideal addition to his already potent squad.

The Latics hitman, who is certain to feature against his old club at Anfield this weekend, will be available for free at the end of the season, although Benitez may wish to move sooner to snuff out competition from Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=916551

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
thats very likely

Premier League - Happy Heskey eyes move

Wigan striker Emile Heskey has admitted that he would like to move to a Champions League club in the near future.

The 30-year-old is out of contract at the end of the season, and after impressive displays for club and country Wigan are expecting bids in January.

England have not lost a game since his recall by Fabio Capello and Heskey has largely been credited with helping Wayne Rooney excel for his country.

While the former Liverpool, Birmingham and Leicester player has not scored for England since 2003, he things he can play at club football's highest level.

"Everyone wants to be playing on these stages and for their club in the Champions League," he said.

And when asked if he thought his performance in the 3-1 win at Belarus was picked up by managers of top clubs, he replied "I hope so".

"It's a nice situation that I'm in, but I'm still a Wigan player and I want to do my best for them," he added.

After three years out of the reckoning for England, Heskey feels he is part of the squad again.

"Starting the last few games, you feel part of the team. But you never know what is going to happen," he said.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/16102008/58/premier-league-happy-heskey-eyes-move.html

aiming too high Heskey :rolleyes:

·
Registered
566 Posts
if i was heskey, i would not be dumb enough to join liverpool just when my international career is getting back on track.
when will he play when he goes to liverpool? crouch's performances were considered good but still did not receive enough games. if heskey is to join the scousers, he will be jeopardising his chances of donning the england jersey again.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
If Liverpool sign him, I will not stop taking the mickey out of my Liverpoo-supporting friends.

I would be surprised if he goes back to Anfield. He's a definite starter at Wigan and wouldn't be able to play regularly at one of the big 4 clubs.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
i think he will join Aston Villa

imagine what he and Carew can do and what that would help Agbonlawhore and Young :)

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
:p

I told my bro this a while ago when I heard about this and he didn't believe me. Of course, it may just be a rumour but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

This would be great news! :D

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
manutd43va said:
if i was heskey, i would not be dumb enough to join liverpool just when my international career is getting back on track.
when will he play when he goes to liverpool? crouch's performances were considered good but still did not receive enough games. if heskey is to join the scousers, he will be jeopardising his chances of donning the england jersey again.
Great point.

Heskey is in such good form because he plays week in-week out for Wigan. Sitting on the bench has damaged Crouch's England career and it would do the same to Heskey's imo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts