Manchester United Talk banner

rafael a luxury we cant afford ?

3K views 62 replies 37 participants last post by  thekeanefella 
think rafa is a great prospect.........prospect being the important thing. he comes from a country where defending isn't given high priority and he is also very young and inexperienced.
his assests are evident to all but so sadly are his defensive frailties, but they are something that can hopefully be learned over the next couple of years. evra attacks but also has the ability to track back fantastically well or if he gets caught up field then slot in there and start defending there while someone covers for him at the back. one thing that does annoy me is rafa's tendency to either attempt a ridiculous tackle that often ends in a foul or just basically do whatever to stop the player which again results in a foul.

all these faults though are something you learn to take out of your game and improve on especially when you arrive in a different country at a club and in a league where football is played very differently to that of his homeland.

his assests still outweigh the negative issues , actually if anything he has been brought on a little too fast and it seems to have gone to his head and it hasn't taken opposition teams very long to catch onto his weaknessess.

let him get on with his playing over the next couple of years, let him learn the game and then make a judgement then.

for me nev is clearly not the future but has something to offer us still, but have always liked wes brown myself-he's not perfect and before the injury his performance level had slipped, but the guy can still do the job there

RedForceRising said:
I think he should be an understudy to Patrice.

When you watch Patrice, he gets forward and once he completes his move forward, he's almost tracking back straight away.

Meaning - he crosses, if the ball doesn't come back his way, he's already moving back, so he has less ground to cover if there's a counter. Same when he gets to the byline, if the attack peters out or the ball doesn't come back to him he's almost immediately jogging back down the flank.

Rafael tends to stick around and watch what happens. I almost feel like handing him some pop corn and a deck chair :rolleyes:
yeh thats what was getting at evra is a master of what rafael wants to be.....evra has the amazing ability to attack and yet get back and defend with such ease it makes it look easy- which it isn't. it's amazing that evra's game is still improving aswell the guy is going to be a legend for years to come.......sure rafael will learn from him

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.