3 Guiseppe Rossi 01/Feb/1987 15/Oct/2005 18 / 256
4 Cristiano Ronaldo 05/Feb/1985 01/Nov/2003 18 / 269
5 Ryan Giggs 29/Nov/1973 29/Aug/1992 18 / 274
6 Wayne Rooney 24/Oct/1985 24/Oct/2004 19 / 0
7 Keith Gillespie 18/Feb/1975 29/Oct/1994 19 / 253
8 Paul Scholes 16/Nov/1974 24/Sep/1994 19 / 312
9 Nicky Butt 21/Jan/1975 31/Dec/1994 19 / 344
10 Luke Chadwick 18/Nov/1980 13/Jan/2001 20 / 56

Interesting facts. If they can have the effect that the likes of Scholes, Rooney and Giggs have head for us, then we are in for some treat.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Well let's hope they have more of an impact than Luke Chadwick!!!

Rafael looks like a brilliant find imo. I think he definitely has what it takes to make it at United. Look out for his brother Fabio too!

Welbeck faces a lot of stiff competition to get a place in the starting line up. Our oldest regular first team forward is Berbatov, who is only 27, with the other forwards (Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez) still in their early 20's. Add competition from Manucho, Macheda and Campbell into the mix and he will have to turn out to be an amazing prospect to succeed at United. Although scoring a 25 yard screamer on your Premier League debut at the age of 17 is not a bad start!!!

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Totally agree with you reddwarf... Welbeck is going to find it hard to progress up and be a first team player!
**Can anyone remember the last forward that came up through the ranks and made a big impact on the first team??

Rafael is just 18 and already played many games this year and has impressed, Next year should see him play even more for us and at that should be that RB spot safe for more than a decade. Its crazy when you think of it!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think Mark Hughes is the last forward to progress through our ranks. Thats a
long long time ago. I think Wellbeck has a good chance. I know Campbell is
starting to make an impact at Spurs but i have my doubts that he is United
quality. Maybe i'm wrong but i think Wellbeck is the best prospect in the forwards
we've had for years. As for Rafael, he's gonna be a superstar. His defending will
improve everytime he plays and his attacking is already top notch.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Welbeck plays down the wing too.

We're not strong there.
Park's ****, Giggs will retire soon, and the jury's still out on Nani.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
Does anyone else not feel rafeal is a little suspect at tracking back.Im not after dissing the guy,he's a phenomenal talent and im sure with age and experience he will shine to the max.I can;t help but feel a tad worried when i see him bombing up parralell to Evra,only to find him caught short and needing Vidaa/Rio to cover,which then leaves those postions exposed.He wasnt on for long at Arsenal,so his defense was hard to judge but against Aalborg he only got away with not being caught out becuase they were so bad!He's a ture talent,im only making a point .

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Rafael, for me, is a certainty in the Man United of the future. He's already popular with the fans, and has made a name to himself. I can see an international call-up in his near-future. If his brother is half as good, I'll be pleased.

Welbeck; well, I do like him, from what I've seen in the reserves he looks decent, really awkward on the ball, but in a good way - like Kanu. Plus, a stinging shot. However, I'm not trying to de-value his goal or anything, but we all thought Rossi was heading for greatness at Old Trafford. In the end, he couldn't get the games. I mean as Reddwarf said, there's a lot of competition in the striking places. Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Manucho, Campbell... That's five players to get past, four of which are still relatively young. Good luck to him though.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Stephen said:
Manucho's ****.

He's already miles ahead of Manucho. Pecking order and quality.
You're right. How foolish of me.

Fergie didn't sign him for nothing you know. He's got talent, but it'll take him time, he probably can't even speak a word of English. I don't know how you can rank the two of them after about two hours of football between them.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Because I'm DC said:
You're right. How foolish of me.

Fergie didn't sign him for nothing you know. He's got talent, but it'll take him time, he probably can't even speak a word of English. I don't know how you can rank the two of them after about two hours of football between them.
Pfft.

Dong, Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson, list is endless...

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Stephen said:
Pfft.

Dong, Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson, list is endless...
Bit early to be writing Manucho off I think. Ive watched him dominate in games
and he knows where the net is too. He is still down the pecking order and by no
means a guarantee to 'make it' at United, but Fergie and co. have seen something
in him, so give the lad a chance. He has been injured and only played a couple of reserve games.

but regarding the age stats in the first post its interesting to see that Welbeck broke the record just a week after Rafael.
Who would have thought that?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Stephen said:
Fair does.

Suppose I'd just prefer an English, Manchester lad to make it than some Angolan nobody :/
Obviously it would be better for a home grown lad to make it, but its good that
there are a couple of them in the reckoning, fighting for that place. It would be
great if they were BOTH amazing:p but we gotta wait and see.

(I was about to make a thread on our 4th striker....)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts