Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll merge this later.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=6625030

Almost unknown when he arrived at United a year ago with his twin brother Fabio, Rafael has been quick to make his mark at Old Trafford. Already a world champion, he’s intent on more silverware to cap a stunning maiden campaign...

A year ago you began training at United – did you think you could come so far, so quickly?
When I arrived, I had not played for a year. I was surprised when I played against Peterborough in August, I never thought it would happen so soon. I know my ability, but my training was not good at first. After the first game, the boss said some very good things about me, which was fantastic for me because I love this club. I am already thinking of being here in many, many years. One year ago I was not even playing, now to play so much is fantastic.

There are a few Brazilians at United these days – does that help make you feel at home?
Yes, very much. When I first came here, there were no Brazilians and only Ronaldo who spoke Portuguese. Now there's Nani, Anderson, Ronaldo, Manucho, Rodrigo (Possebon), (Evandro) Brandao... Fabio, my brother, of course. It is very nice, and very helpful that I can speak Portuguese, but it's not so good for my English!

You're young and learning, what areas of your game are you trying to improve most?
I think being in defence, because here is completely different to Brazil. The right-back in Brazil is always attacking, attacking, attacking, but not here. For me, maybe sometimes it is that way because I like attacking, but it’s not usually that way in England so I want to improve my defending.

Gary Neville is one of your direct rivals for the right-back position, but is he helping you?
Rivals, yes, but he has helped me so much.
All the time he is helping me. In games we've played together he is always telling me where the right position is to be. He knows so much. I want the position of right-back, but Gary has been very good to me.

How enjoyable was it to score your first goal at Arsenal, even though United lost?
(Smiles) I will never forget that game. because this was my first goal for United, and a nice goal too! United and Arsenal is a big game, so it was very good to score. I did not celebrate because the team was losing. If we had got another goal, then I would have celebrated more.

What were your thoughts ahead of the Manchester derby, and facing Robinho? Were you pleased with how you played?
That game, I did not play well. It was my first derby and I don’t know why, but I don’t think I played well. But before that game, in Brazil, everybody was ‘ah, Robinho’, but ‘Who is Rafael?’ Now, the people in Brazil know. After the game we traded shirts, he said ‘good work’ and wished me good luck for the rest of the season.

What are your aims for the remainder of the season?
I want titles. We are world champions already this season, but I want more – including the Premier League. And I want to make lots of appearances. For me, at 18 years old, it has been amazing. Now I want more.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Berbatov08 said:
will be the best right back in the world within 5 years. definitely.
That's a pretty big call man.

I hope you're right, but i would be very surprised, if he became top-class, let alone "the best RB in the world", but as i've said before I'll glady stnad corrected.

For me the important parts from this interview, is that he knows it's ok to keep attacking as RB in brazil, but that he needs to work on his defence.

Then, it's good to hear Gary is mentoring him and it's even better to hear him talk about being here for a long time and winning titles! :D

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
RedForceRising said:

I hope you're right, but i would be very surprised, if he became top-class, let alone "the best RB in the world", but as i've said before I'll glady stnad corrected.

For me the important parts from this interview, is that he knows it's ok to keep attacking as RB in brazil, but that he needs to work on his defence.

Then, it's good to hear Gary is mentoring him and it's even better to hear him talk about being here for a long time and winning titles! :D
:eek: So you don't rate him?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
It's nice to see a youngster pledge his love for the club, but he must show it in his performances as well as in his character. He's done great for now, for a player of his age, but so did Nani last season, and look how he plays this one. I hope Rafa won't be the same, and i sure hope Nani will bounce back. Maybe Tosic will sturr a little things on the left side, and force Nani to win back his place in the team.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
will be the best right back in the world within 5 years. definitely.
I agree that is a big call! I wouldn't put it past him he's progressing fast and seems fo settled down already, would be tough to be regarded as one of the best right backs around with players like Ramos, Alves out there but I have no doubts he'll be a great player :)

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
All he has to do is work on defending, he also hassels players too much, when tracking a player he is very much all over the other player and gives fouls away.

But with the right guidance he can become a world class fullback in my IMO.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
All he has to do is work on defending, he also hassels players too much, when tracking a player he is very much all over the other player and gives fouls away.

But with the right guidance he can become a world class fullback in my IMO.
agreed depends how he lives up to it and how he builds on it season after season

·
Breaking into the first team
654 Posts
RedForceRising said:

I know... He deffo needs to work on his defence, you sure he is not an Attacking Midfielder? :p

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Berbatov08 said:
:eek: So you don't rate him?
hmmm.. I do. I think he has a good touch, is good going forward, can put in a decent cross and is willing to tackle.

however, there have been a few games like against Celtic, Boro & Wigan where his defensive frailties have been exposed.

He joins the attack and then forgets to track back.

So that would one issue for me and the other is that his athleticism doesn't seem to be that of a top drawer full-back.

Nexy up, his reading of the game. Not tracking back is one thing, but his reading of the game is poor, which means people get past him too often for my liking and he needs to pull jerseys or make a last ditch tackle.

He's got talent this boy, but I'm not sure I'm looking at top-class talent, let alone world's best talent.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
He's matured so well so fast it isn't surprising he's getting so much attention
Hope he makes the cut this lad - seems like a fantastic player!

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
RedForceRising said:
hmmm.. I do. I think he has a good touch, is good going forward, can put in a decent cross and is willing to tackle.

however, there have been a few games like against Celtic, Boro & Wigan where his defensive frailties have been exposed.

He joins the attack and then forgets to track back.

So that would one issue for me and the other is that his athleticism doesn't seem to be that of a top drawer full-back.

Nexy up, his reading of the game. Not tracking back is one thing, but his reading of the game is poor, which means people get past him too often for my liking and he needs to pull jerseys or make a last ditch tackle.

He's got talent this boy, but I'm not sure I'm looking at top-class talent, let alone world's best talent.
I agree with you about the Celtic and Boro game but against Wigan I thought he was very good defensively , in fact he didn't even go foward that much tbh.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
taking into account that he has come with his brother at 18 from brazil, a different culture, climate, and above all, style of football, he has done remarkably well.
you would know he was brazilian from the way he plays, and that is nothing to worry about. they all do it, and he's been taught that so it's not unexpected. what we have seen going forward is very encouraging and he will improve his defence, and it's good that he knows that and can say it.
he has been a breath of fresh air and i can't wait to see if fabio is better as they said in brazil!

best right back in the world is a big call. with the right coaching, he certainly has the potential to do it. world class, yes in my book. #1, probably not. i hope he proves me wrong.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Seems like a great kid. I have high hopes for him.

I'm suprised that he says he was unhappy with his deby performance though. To me that was his most satisfying one, as it should him showing some discapline.

He has some big defensive issues, but hes only 18 - and he's from Brazil where defending is pretty much unheard of.

I have no worries regarding the defensive part of his game. Evra couldn't defend until he was 24 years old, so this guy has a lot of time to improve.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TheManc said:
Seems like a great kid. I have high hopes for him.

I'm suprised that he says he was unhappy with his deby performance though. To me that was his most satisfying one, as it should him showing some discapline.

He has some big defensive issues, but hes only 18 - and he's from Brazil where defending is pretty much unheard of.

I have no worries regarding the defensive part of his game. Evra couldn't defend until he was 24 years old, so this guy has a lot of time to improve.
Exactly - the game that we the fans consider his best game, registers as the worst game in his mind. The boy doesn't regard himself as much of a defender ;)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RedAdam said:
taking into account that he has come with his brother at 18 from brazil, a different culture, climate, and above all, style of football, he has done remarkably well.
you would know he was brazilian from the way he plays, and that is nothing to worry about. they all do it, and he's been taught that so it's not unexpected. what we have seen going forward is very encouraging and he will improve his defence, and it's good that he knows that and can say it.
he has been a breath of fresh air and i can't wait to see if fabio is better as they said in brazil!

best right back in the world is a big call. with the right coaching, he certainly has the potential to do it. world class, yes in my book. #1, probably not. i hope he proves me wrong.
He defiitely has been one of the highlights of the season so far. all fans love to see an exciting youngster and he certainly has provided that entertainment.

I have a feeling Fabio will be able to surpass Rafael as he is the "calmer" guy and scores more goals.

They really have to learn their defensive duties though. Otherwise, I can see them failing miserably.

If you look at them, they strike you as natural athletes, so they must work very hard these boys. They have been gifted with natural ability, but if they don't work hard, they strike me as those talented footballers that will never play higher than Championship football.

If they don't improve their defending, their natural ability will count for nowt.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
For an 18 year old, all you can really want is talent and enthusiasm, and he has loads of both. Now, he needs to learn the tougher aspects of the game - positioning, proper marking, when to take chances and when to play conservatively. He's got to concentrate on 'defense first' for the next couple of years.

Great to watch tho....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts