Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night seeing Rafael playing against Peterborough I felt that Rafael could soon become our first choice Right-back. He showed tremendous pace and skill and even Sir Alex acknowledged this. any thoughts ?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
both the boys did well rafael impressed and played the full 90 mins and his brother just the 45.
i was wondering where they had gone , then they just resurfaced

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
It's generally recognized that Fabio is better than his twin Rafael. Fabio was captain of the U17 Brazil team and was the leading scorer in the U17 World Cup despite being a fullback. I like the name Rafael better than Fabio, however I think it would be Fabio to take the place not Rafael. I'd love for both of the Brazilian twins to get some playing time in the Carling Cup, however I'm not sure about first team appearances in Premier League games on a regular basis.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
woo think were jumping the gun a bit here. i mean yeah they did great and raf looked amazing. but their just kids and they were playing petersborough. put them against players like torres and i think you will take neville all day atm. let them develop in our system first then talk of this. they are great for their age but years to come before they are truely great ;)

·
23,699 Posts
Eventually? ;)

Fergie was purring over them yesterday as he did for other youngsters, of which only Campbell and Possebon were specifically mentioned to be possibly involved in the first team action and thus staying put.

But he also said, "At the moment we need all our players because we have some issues with Rooney and Carrick having this virus, Hargreaves is not back yet, Anderson's at the Olympics, so we're just a little bit tight in terms of availability. So they will all stay at the moment."

Whether the "they" he was referring to included the Samba twins remain unclear.

But I doubt they are ready to rough it out in the EPL as yet. Let's leave it to Fergie to phase them in, hopefully sooner than later. :)

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I think its wrong to speculate on the results of just one game against "inferior" opposition, no disrespect to Peterborough. Lets see how he does against Juve.

He will, but its up to Fergie.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
From what I've heard, they played well against Peterborough.

But it was their debuts in a pre-season friendly against Peterborough. They need to adapt, and develop further. Their only young, and it will be a long time before they hit their peak.

Though Rafael will find it easier to get in the team, because nobodies going to get into the team in front of Evra, never mind Fabio.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Obviously its far to early to predict anything but the signs were good last night. Rafael played better than Fabio but don't forget he played with much better players in the first half.

I got the feeling that Fergie was pretty amazed with Rafael. I know he said he was a 'senssation' but you could tell Fergie was pretty suprised.

Fabio did some brilliant runs in the second half but no one picked him out which was understandable as Rafael had the likes of Tevez playing in the first half.

I havnen't been this impressed with a bunch of youngsters since in 'class of 92'.

Evans
Wellbeck
Campbell
Macheda
Pettrucci
Cathcart
Rafael
Fabio
Cleverly
Rodrigo Possebon
Simpson

All these have legitimate chances of making it. Granted I havn't seen anything of Pettrucci but the stories you here are good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
what about that bloke wes brown ?? he has bin outstanding this last season and has worked har to get into the first place one of only two peple to have a champions league medal from 99 and 07 in his cubard the other being giggs can we really rule this LOCAL lad out the picture for me he is the right man for thr right back (no punt intended)

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
stretty said:
both the boys did well rafael impressed and played the full 90 mins and his brother just the 45.
i was wondering where they had gone , then they just resurfaced
United had to wait until they
were 18 years old - and then
they signed proper contracts
and are eligible to play. It
was only last month they got
to 18 years old.

I don't know why this was though ... :confused:

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
While Chelsea continue their hunt for Real Madrid forward Robinho, their main Premier League rivals also have a Brazilian who can play a bit. This player may not yet be a household name in England, although Sir Alex Ferguson seems confident that it’s a matter of time before this defender makes the Manchester United first-team.

Setanta report that Fergie was delighted with some of the youngsters he sent out to play against Peterborough on Monday night, especially a player that goes by the name of Rafael.

United signed Rafael and his brother Fabio earlier this summer, having agreed deals for the pair back in 2007, and they have long been tipped for greatness.

It had been suggested the pair would be given time to acclimatise, but the display of Rafael has given Ferguson food for thought.

“The young players were fantastic and young Rafael the right back was a sensation for me,” Ferguson told MUTV.

“I thought it was a real eye opener for us. He hadn’t played for a year but he’s played a full 90 minutes today. His brother Fabio has played 45 minutes and he’s also done well so we’re really pleased by their contribution.

“You know what football’s like. Sometimes it turns up some star, some little nugget maybe. On the evidence of tonight I think we have got a good player here.”

With a question mark over the future of Gary Neville, and with Wes Brown not a natural full-back, could Fergie be tempted to give the Brazilian a starting place this season? It’s clear that he’s not averse to giving youth its fling, having successfully integrated countless

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
United had to wait until they
were 18 years old - and then
they signed proper contracts
and are eligible to play. It
was only last month they got
to 18 years old.

I don't know why this was though ... :confused:
Euro employment laws, these kids are not european.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
eventually im sure he'll be our first choice right back, but i agree with a post about Brown, he's the first choice now not Gary Neville. He been excellent, but the young Brazillian is a different type of Full back, more of a wing back.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
i think nevs on his last season . wes will be first choice . i do reckon for whatever crazy reason that the kids are going to make impact on season . as others said already this is a good batch

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
i have read some very positive reviews of rafael`s debut in various newspapers.
it looks like we have a star in the making, hopefully he will make steady progress over the season, i think we will see him in the league cup games and hopefully a few prem games in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
i agree
imo brown should be our first choice right back, i know gary is on the way back but wez had a solid season. i think are defence last year was the best in years!
we change a winning formula. two years time maybe we can consider Rafael.
nothing as nice as a fast attacking full back. i wish him luck

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
he got alot of chances including the cross that he was trying to send to tevez and the GK kicked the ball to tevez's foot

nice chance by RAFA .. da Silva!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts