Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people, Liverpool supporter here doing some research. I scanned through a number of Utd forums and decided this would be the best place to posy. You have a large group of active level headed members, who actually challenge aspects of your club not like the blind followers on Red Cafe, who seem like bandwagon jumpers to me.

This is for my journalism dissertation, Im looking at how the national newspapers have covered the events following Rafa's so-called 'rant' against Alex Ferguson, as well as how online fan forums and fanzine such as ours have all had differing viewpoints on the issue. The dissertation itself is on objectivity and this will be my research topic.

Before I pose my questions, does anyone know the exact date he came out with the statements? I think it was 9th January but I'm not 100%.

What was your inital response to the 'rant'?

After a few days or weeks, when games didnt go Liverpool's way did your opinion change?

What is your opinion at the present moment?

Please try to answer honestly, disregarding hindsight. Thanks alot lads and lasses.

I would say good luck of the rest of the season but I looks like you have that tied up already, although nothings impossible! May the best team win come Saturday and I'll have no complaints.

Thanks, Brian Irvine

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Initially I was hopeful that it would have a Keeganesque impact on Liverpool's title challenge. Although it was a more controlled outburst than Keegans 'I'd love it' speech I did think that Fergie's mind games had rattled Benitez.

It seemed to have an immediate impact as Liverpool quickly dropped points and went from having a healthy lead to falling way behind the champions of England and Europe :)D).

Tbh, in the first few weeks afterwards I wasn't entirely convinced that it was solely down to Benitez' rant but looking back now it could have been the turning point of the season.

The fact that the Stretford End started singing 'he's cracking up, he's cracking up, he's cracking, Rafa's cracking up' must have got back to the Liverpool players one way or another. And if not they'll certainly know about it on Saturday. :D

·
Banned
15,336 Posts

Well, I was actually shocked first of all. Although Benitez has criticised people in his press conferences in the past, I was really quite surprised that he seems to have been recording, or at least researched, the "facts" so that he could have his rant. Then I was, like reddwarf, hoping that it was a sign that Rafa was cracking under the pressure.

After a few days or weeks, when games didnt go Liverpool's way did your opinion change?

Well it didn't. I think it revealed that he was cracking, and although he's not the only person who is involved in Liverpools games and performances (talking of the players here) his mistakes and interviews afterwards seemed to reveal that he had cracked.

I think that it was a huge turning point in the season. It seemed to reflect that Rafa had cracked, and that it gave me the impression that he didn't really believe in his team. If he did, I think he would have been a lot calmer and just let it pass more if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
It was the 9th of Jan alright. This thread might be worth a look. Its how we all reacted as soon as it happened so ut might answer some of your questions. click here> http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-utd-chat/17733-rafa-benitez.html

This as my initial respones, taken from above thread.....

Just saw this now :D Its so Keegan. Snarf :D
Fergie is doing it again. The league is ours I feel, even if we draw with Chelsea.
Benitez is cracking already....

nicked from the caf: thnx z

Nope, I had always said Liverpool wouldn't get close to the title. The rant was the final nail in the coffin for me. I was a bit surprised they threw it away so soon, but I knew they would sooner or later as shown here>
http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/fo...liverpool-all-liverpool-crap-here-please.html

Still the same. I feel his rant made him look like a laughing stock and I dont think it helped his players on the field. A lot of extra pressure was put on them, which they couldnt handle. He also made a lot of terrible decisions to be fair, especially when he kept benching players like Torres and Keane in must win games. The whole Keane story is another issue, but Rafa handled that so badly.

Hope this helps.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
to be honest I still think the rant showed he had cracked and even-though the wins against madrid and us were impressive I dont think it was down to his rant. The win at madrid was in my opinion overrated, madrid are a poor side that is blown up because of its history. but I believe the win was really the catapult that gave the squad belief and hunger against us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts