Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "pound" key on your keyboard (#) is called an octotroph.

The only domestic animal not mentioned in the Bible is the cat.

The "dot" over the letter "i" is called a tittle.

Table tennis balls have been known to travel off the paddle at speeds up to 160 km/hr.

Pepsi originally contained pepsin, thus the name.

The original story from "Tales of 1001 Arabian Nights" begins, "Aladdin was a little Chinese boy."

Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.

Honey is the only natural food that is made without destroying any kind of life. What about milk you say? A cow has to eat grass to produce milk and grass is living.

The most common name in the world is Mohammed.

The volume of the Earth's moon is the same as the volume of the Pacific Ocean.

Cephalacaudal recapitulation is the reason our extremities develop faster than the rest of us.

Spiral staircases in medieval castles are running clockwise. This is because all knights used to be right-handed. When the intruding army would climb the stairs they would not be able to use their right hand which was holding the sword because of the difficulties of climbing the stairs. Left-handed knights would have had no troubles, except left-handed people could never become knights because it was assumed that they were descendants of the devil.

Ham radio operators got the term "ham" coined from the expression "ham fisted operators," a term used to describe early radio users who sent Morse code (i.e., pounded their fist).

The slogan on New Hampshire license plates is "Live Free or Die." These license plates are manufactured by prisoners in the state prison in Concord.

Chinese Crested dogs can get acne.

Hydrogen gas is the least dense substance in the world, at 0.08988g/cc.

Hydrogen solid is the most dense substance in the world, at 70.6g/cc.

Each year there is one ton of cement poured for each man woman and child in the world.

The house fly hums in the middle octave key of F.

The only capital letter in the Roman alphabet with exactly one end point is P.

The giant red star Betelgeuse has a diameter larger than that of the Earth's orbit around the sun.

The longest place name still in use is: Taumatawhakatangihangaoauauotameteaturipukakapikimaungahoronuk- upokaiwhenuakitanatahu--a New Zealand hill.

Los Angeles's full name is: "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Poriuncula" and can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its size, "LA.".

Only 1 in 2,000,000,000 will live to be 116 or older.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.

According to Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity, it is possible to go slower than light and faster than light, but it is impossible to go the speed of light. Also, there is a particle called tackyon which is supposed to go faster than light. This means if you fire a tackyon beam, it travels before you fire it.

When you tie a noose, the rope is wrapped twelve times around because it's the same length as a persons head.

Hummingbirds are the only animal that can fly backwards.

A cat's jaw cannot move sideways...
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
LMAO, cheers for them PZ, where do you find such crazy stuff ?
Will be using them elsewhere. ;)
Definatly not going to be trying No7.:eek:
Though 3rd from last is not quite correct, it's 12 and a half times ( see Albert Pierpoints, the hangman, books ). :p
Certainly got me laughing and thinking on them though.
Crazy Yank !!. :D

.
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
A tie was invented by Croats :p
A pen was invented by Croat Slavoljub PENkala:p

haha..did you know that ?I couldn't find the Did you know thread
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,665 Posts
These don't happen to be courtesy of the Freeman Insitute do they Zane?

As a person with an interest in astronomy and quantum physics I have to dispute the 'fact' regarding tachyon particles.

Firstly, tachyons are hypothetical subatomic particles (no such particle has ever been detected).

However, if they do exist then it is widely believed that they would be highly unstable and therefore could not be used to send information. This means the particle could not effect causality (i.e. would have no impact on time) meaning it would be impossible for the particle to 'travel before it is fired'. For the particle to effect causality (i.e. tell itself it was about to be fired!) it would have to be able to send information into it's own past.

:p
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
A pen was invented by Croat Slavoljub PENkala:p
haha..did you know that ?I couldn't find the Did you know thread
No he didn't ... :p

The Biro pen was invented by Laszlo Biro from.....Poland

And.....

The fountain pen by Petrache Poenaru from......ROMANIA :p

Your man invented the mechanical pencil.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
reddwarf said:
These don't happen to be courtesy of the Freeman Insitute do they Zane?

As a person with an interest in astronomy and quantum physics I have to dispute the 'fact' regarding tachyon particles.

Firstly, tachyons are hypothetical subatomic particles (no such particle has ever been detected).

However, if they do exist then it is widely believed that they would be highly unstable and therefore could not be used to send information. This means the particle could not effect causality (i.e. would have no impact on time) meaning it would be impossible for the particle to 'travel before it is fired'. For the particle to effect causality (i.e. tell itself it was about to be fired!) it would have to be able to send information into it's own past.

:p
:eek: :confused: :eek: Your freakily brainy Dwarf........
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
:eek: :confused: :eek: Your freakily brainy Dwarf........
Yes but very interesting how he discounted the theory....

I love all this stuff, lol.....

I recently watched a program where a guy showed his time travel theory.....

How the only way you could possibly travel anywhere near fast enough to do so - would be on your way INTO a black hole !!

.....at which point you would be stretched into a single string of atoms such is the gravitational pull !!

1 cubic centimetre of matter at the centre of a black hole would weight 700 times as much as the whole planet earth !!!

Such is the strength of the gravity pull !!!

Even light cannot escape from it !!!

If you're interested.........:confused:
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
No he didn't ... :p

The Biro pen was invented by Laszlo Biro from.....Poland

And.....

The fountain pen by Petrache Poenaru from......ROMANIA :p

Your man invented the mechanical pencil.....

You're right ....i meant mechanical, i just didn't know how to write it
oh and einstein, I believe stole things from our Tesla
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
Yes but very interesting how he discounted the theory....

I love all this stuff, lol.....

I recently watched a program where a guy showed his time travel theory.....

How the only way you could possibly travel anywhere near fast enough to do so - would be on your way INTO a black hole !!

.....at which point you would be stretched into a single string of atoms such is the gravitational pull !!

1 cubic centimetre of matter at the centre of a black hole would weight 700 times as much as the whole planet earth !!!

Such is the strength of the gravity pull !!!

Even light cannot escape from it !!!

If you're interested.........:confused:
lol you even bigger freak. Im not sure who is worse, you, Dwarf and Zaney? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,861 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
lol you even bigger freak. Im not sure who is worse, you, Dwarf and Zaney? :p
Jazz don't be so mean.................. :mad:







.............Comparing Dwarf & Zane to Carly like that is very harsh ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
SolskjaertheLegend said:
Jazz don't be so mean.................. :mad:







.............Comparing Dwarf & Zane to Carly like that is very harsh ;)
Cheeky sod !

I think myself, Dwarf and the Zaney one should have a little corner of our own where we can discuss all these things, lmao......swats corner huh :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
reddwarf said:
These don't happen to be courtesy of the Freeman Insitute do they Zane?

As a person with an interest in astronomy and quantum physics I have to dispute the 'fact' regarding tachyon particles.

Firstly, tachyons are hypothetical subatomic particles (no such particle has ever been detected).

However, if they do exist then it is widely believed that they would be highly unstable and therefore could not be used to send information. This means the particle could not effect causality (i.e. would have no impact on time) meaning it would be impossible for the particle to 'travel before it is fired'. For the particle to effect causality (i.e. tell itself it was about to be fired!) it would have to be able to send information into it's own past.

:p
damn you beat me to it
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,665 Posts
Just a hobby folks ;)

I started an Open University course in astronomy a couple of years ago.

I've never really been into star gazing so I stopped doing the course after 3 months but I really enjoyed the science part so I continued reading about it.

The Universe is a very interesting place. :)
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,665 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
Yes but very interesting how he discounted the theory....

I love all this stuff, lol.....

I recently watched a program where a guy showed his time travel theory.....

How the only way you could possibly travel anywhere near fast enough to do so - would be on your way INTO a black hole !!

.....at which point you would be stretched into a single string of atoms such is the gravitational pull !!

1 cubic centimetre of matter at the centre of a black hole would weight 700 times as much as the whole planet earth !!!

Such is the strength of the gravity pull !!!

Even light cannot escape from it !!!

If you're interested.........:confused:
There is a scientist in America that has requested funding for a time travel experiment. The scientists father died when he was young and he became obsessed with travelling back in time to see his father again.

His research has lead him to believe that it is impossible to travel back to a specific period in history. However, he believes he can create a portal capable of capturing a moment in time so that, once the portal is created, at any point in the future you can travel through the portal and arrive back at the moment it was created.

Many people believe that to travel through time you need to travel faster than the speed of light. However, the amount of energy required to accelerate a mass past the speed of light is infinite so in reality this can never be achieved.

Tachyon particles are, theoretically, constantly moving faster than the speed of light so may be able to travel through time but because they can not carry information they can not effect causality.

Another theory regarding tachyon particles is that they are moving at such a high speed that they are capable of occupying every single part of the Universe at any one time. This lead to a famous scientific claim that 'God is made up of tachyon particles'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys make this whole time travel thing too complex.

There is 1 flight in the US that goes over a time zone and takes 59 minutes, so you would land 1 minute before you took off. :)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top