Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Real Madrid and Manchester United look set to clash in the transfer market as they prepare to battle it out for VfB Stuttgart striker, Mario Gomez.

Sport Bild reports that the two Champions League sides are interested in the German forward and have sent scouts to watch him this season.

Along with United and Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester City are rumoured to be following his progress, which could make any bidding war very interesting.

The German has scored 24 goals in 31 matches this season and has a contract with Stuttgart until 2012.

However, it is widely believed that the 23-year old will leave this summer and his buy-out clause is currently €35 million.

That price could well be met by any of the clubs mentioned above and, it is thought that negotiations might already actually be under way for a potential move.

Sporting director, Jochen Schneider declared last year that his price was €50 million, and admitted today that "he is the best German forward. The price of Mario has not decreased, but it has increased".

If he were to move to Madrid it seems likely that he would either be used as a replacement for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, who has not settled well in Spain, or would be a long-term replacement for Raul.

At United he would more than likely replace Carlos Tevez, who appears to be edging closer to the door at Old Trafford.

James Walker-Roberts, Goal.com

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Mario Gomez is quote an overrated striker - had a miserbale time in the World Cup, though his club form is quite good

I dont think he's worth 35m though

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Yeah, Goal.com.

Anyway, I don't want him anywhere near here tbh. I think he's over-rated, and not the type of striker we'd need.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
He was a laughing stock at the EUROs folks. Not the world cup :rolleyes:

I think we need his type of striker, not necessarily him, but a target man, just for a new look off the bench.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Wouldn't want him here, I think he's being made to look good in that league and would get found out here.

Plus pairing him and Berbatov upfront would not work as neither of them would be mobile enough.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Wouldn't want him here, I think he's being made to look good in that league and would get found out here.

Plus pairing him and Berbatov upfront would not work as neither of them would be mobile enough.
Good point (as usual). However the thought of he and Rooney together is appetizing, after all, Wayne is at his best when behind a target man.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Good point (as usual). However the thought of he and Rooney together is appetizing, after all, Wayne is at his best when behind a target man.
Yeah that's true and I did think of that, but you need a fully rotatable (is that a word?) strike force, and we would not have that with him in the team; so in my opinion it would not be a wise buy.

Benzema however ... :eyepopping:

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Yeah that's true and I did think of that, but you need a fully rotatable (is that a word?) strike force, and we would not have that with him in the team; so in my opinion it would not be a wise buy.

Benzema however ... :eyepopping:
The way I see it is that in order to have a fully rotatable strike force, you'd need an out-and-out poacher. Benzema would be a good buy, but the problem lies in the fact that someone (Rooney, Berba or Benzema) would have to sit, and I can't see any of them being satisfied with being rotated.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I don't understand the sentiment that he's not the kind of forward we need, because he is! He would be a great foil for Wayne Rooney and I don't think he is over-rated.

How is he over-rated? The statement that he is the best forward in the Bundesliga is very close to the truth. As anything in football, there are personal preferences, but he ticks all the boxes on a striker's attributes checklist.

Also, what is this lesser league stuff? Bayern just hammered Sporting 5-0 and are not even on top of the Bundesliga!

He had a bad tournament in Euro 2008, but so did Luca Toni.

In contrast Roman Pavlyuchenko and Lukas Podolski scored 3 goals each. Does that make them better strikers?

I don't think these international competition are good guides on actual ability over a prolonged period.

50m is obviously exaggerated and I'm not saying Mario Gomez is my dream transfer, but I would not be opposed if he were to wear the red of Manchester United.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Northern Ireland will qualify... :p

And as for Mario Gomez, absolute rubbish he is... Wouldnt pay £3.5m for him, i watch a bit of the german league, i reckon i could score 20 a season easily in it lol... ;)

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I don't understand the sentiment that he's not the kind of forward we need, because he is! He would be a great foil for Wayne Rooney and I don't think he is over-rated.

How is he over-rated? The statement that he is the best forward in the Bundesliga is very close to the truth. As anything in football, there are personal preferences, but he ticks all the boxes on a striker's attributes checklist.

Also, what is this lesser league stuff? Bayern just hammered Sporting 5-0 and are not even on top of the Bundesliga!

He had a bad tournament in Euro 2008, but so did Luca Toni.

In contrast Roman Pavlyuchenko and Lukas Podolski scored 3 goals each. Does that make them better strikers?

I don't think these international competition are good guides on actual ability over a prolonged period.

50m is obviously exaggerated and I'm not saying Mario Gomez is my dream transfer, but I would not be opposed if he were to wear the red of Manchester United.
I don't know if they was directed at me or not RFR, so i apologise for replying if it wasn't, but my point was that he is not the type of striker that we need because i don't think him and Berbatov could work as a strike partnership and to be succesful you need a fully rotatable striker force, like we do now and di in '99. I think he would be a decent partner for Rooney however, even if he is not as good as people think IMO. But it is the fact I don't think him and Bebatov would be mobile enough to work as a strike force that puts me off him.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts