Manchester United Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I apologize for my English, and if written in the wrong section. I hope that the majority of users of the forum from Great Britain. And I have a question for you:
Fans of your team are organized, with great traditions. And how do you feel about the fans of your team (or other English team: Manchester City, Chelsea), who live in other distant countries and claim that this is their team, but they have not seen a single match of this team (I mean: in the stadium). What can you say about these "fans"?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't worry, your English is fine , keep onm writing in...... I have no objection to
anyone supporting who they want to, what's the point of trying to persuade or force somebody to support a team against their will..... no problem with that at all....

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Sebastien Loeb said:
First I apologize for my English, and if written in the wrong section. I hope that the majority of users of the forum from Great Britain. And I have a question for you:
Fans of your team are organized, with great traditions. And how do you feel about the fans of your team (or other English team: Manchester City, Chelsea), who live in other distant countries and claim that this is their team, but they have not seen a single match of this team (I mean: in the stadium). What can you say about these "fans"?
I have supported United for many years, but being from Canada have only been to Old Trafford twice, and only once to see a game (2002 0-1 Bolton arrrrrgh). If I lived in or around Manchester, I would be a season ticket subscriber, but alas,
I don't.

However, I watch virtually every United game, and all of the games of our closest rivals. I consider myself an avid United supporter, through and through - the best d*mn United fan in Canada.

I will get to OT again when I can afford the $3,000, but my real hope is to attend an away game. That would be fantastic!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Well I guess I am one of those fans since I live in Australia. I wake up early hours every Man Utd game to watch them live. If I am not able to watch it live like when I was overseas with no TV or anything then I will just record the game or download it full later. But in general I must watch the game live as I hate repeats and highlights for Man Utd games lol Plus at the moment I do not have cable and did not have cable for the past 2-3 years hence I watch all my games on p2p programs and live streams on the internet and had the radio open too, hence when I do wake up at 2am or 3am or 4am I do not just sit infront of my large LCD flat screen TV and watch it. I have been to Man Utd games (vs Dinamo Zagreb for a CL qualifier in Zagreb and Fulham away) but both were a fair while back, but never been to Old Trafford. I will (god willing) in the future though. I have bought each red home kit since like 2000 and have about 10 and cannot stand anything but originals. I also do keep track of reserves and academy stuff and have many Man Utd goods like pillows and wallets and posters and calenders etc. I do classify myself as a "real" Man Utd fan lol

·
Registered
629 Posts
I am one of the fans whom some people in England donot consider a real fan. I have been supporting United since I was 11 i.e since the last 6 years and have never really missed a United game unless it has been impossible to watch the game. I have to stay awake till 3.30am here in India for the midweek games and have to wake up at 5.30am in the morning for my college but I do that happily to watch United and sleep during class :D:cool:

I have never been to a United game but will do so atleast once before I die. This question of being a real fan or not because I have never been to OT really make me angry because even if I don't live in Manchester and haven't been to Old Trafford I still feel the same way when United win or lose like the other fans who are in the Stadium feel. I feel really depressed when we lose like the people living in Manchester so I find it stupid for some people living in Manchester to feel that people living outside of England are lesser fans than they are.

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
I think when english football(EPL mainly) wasnt a global sport like it is now, people made a big hooha about supporting the team where you were born/live.
Thats why its mainly the older 30+(in my experience) that still have a pop about supporting a team 1000's of miles away...or 180 miles away in my case!!!
BUT, i dont mind em...surely fans from asia who pay all that money to fly over to watch the mighty reds deserve full credit for there support!..God bless em'!!!

·
Banned
28 Posts
Im a season ticket holder and i live in cheshire ( just outside of Manchester)
FANS who live in distant countries should always be distant FANS. they should buy a shirt, watch the games but not become involved in anything to do with United SUPPORTERS. SUPPORTERS go to the games and SUPPORTERS have to follow the team. Old Trafford has been ruined by foreign FANS. It used to be Loud and full of passionate local supporters. now its full of foreign FANS. Foriegners should stick to what they are good at. Paying the players wages and keeping the T.V companies going.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
VivaRonaldo7 said:
Im a season ticket holder and i live in cheshire ( just outside of Manchester)
FANS who live in distant countries should always be distant FANS. they should buy a shirt, watch the games but not become involved in anything to do with United SUPPORTERS. SUPPORTERS go to the games and SUPPORTERS have to follow the team. Old Trafford has been ruined by foreign FANS. It used to be Loud and full of passionate local supporters. now its full of foreign FANS. Foriegners should stick to what they are good at. Paying the players wages and keeping the T.V companies going.
I am speechless....except to say that you are obviously a moron, a xenephobe and probably a racist.

Ronaldo's a foreigner, isn't he?

I guess I wasn't speechless after all.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
dlan4327 said:
Sweet. This thread has the potential to turn into a great fight. :p
Not from me, my Irish brother :p (you are Irish, yes?).

I can only argue with ignorance for a short time....then it just gets too easy!

Suffice it to say that without United's worldwide FAN base - and the revenue it generates, there would be less foreigners at OT and lots of empty seats for the true fans to occupy while they cheer on their mid-table team.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I asked the view of the British fans (which I respect) to that "fans". I just can not imagine a situation that in England) a resident of a city that was born there, lived for many years, suddenly starts to maintain a strong team from Italy or Spain. I think this is a disease of small (in football) countries

·
Registered
177 Posts
When ever i go to Old Trafford i usually have a group of asians drapped in head to toe in United merchandise recoriding and taking pictures of the Match and not contributing to supporting the team at all.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
People who use the phrases ''your not a real fan'' or ''you should support....'' need a ***** slapping.If you are passionate,knowledgable and loyal you should support whoever the hell you like.Only you decide who you support and as long as you don't just buy a shirt with Ronaldo on,not know any fixtures/results/news/injuries, then get giddy when someone says ''what bout man u other night,great innit,ronaldo rooney yeah man yeah ''........those fans need a tub thumpin.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Rooneys_Temper said:
People who use the phrases ''your not a real fan'' or ''you should support....'' need a ***** slapping.If you are passionate,knowledgable and loyal you should support whoever the hell you like.Only you decide who you support and as long as you don't just buy a shirt with Ronaldo on,not know any fixtures/results/news/injuries, then get giddy when someone says ''what bout man u other night,great innit,ronaldo rooney yeah man yeah ''........those fans need a tub thumpin.
Totally agree! Can't say more. :)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
if you love utd i don't think it matters if you go to old trafford at all ,staying with them through good times and bad times is what counts instead of changing teams like quite a few people seem to do .
i recently bumped into a guy from my small village that i had not seen for many years and he was raving about utd but i know that 25 years ago he was liverpool daft because only about 4 kids in the whole village supported utd everybody else idolised the scum .
also getting to old trafford can be a costly and time efficent task when you live a long distance from manchester ,i live over a 5 hour journey away ,so i watch them on tv or listen to the radio on most occasions ,i just wish i lived close to manchester but that will never happen so i go to watch cardiff city to see some live footy .

·
Registered
616 Posts
i stopped going to Old Trafford during the 80's due to the nature of my job,but as a kid my mum came home with my
first scool bag at the age of 5,with a big fook off United badge across it,the rest is history,i have alot to thank mi mum
for,as she could of come home with a Liverpoo bag and this recession we are currently in could of turned into a
depression at this present time,but one thing i did suffer was the era Liverpoo where winning everything,which
was a depression in itself for me,but now the worm has turned and i am reaping the rewards of sticking with the team
i supported from a lad,happy days.
[as for the supporting your local team,how local do you wanna go,we have a sunday team who play on the field
at the back of our house,you cant get any more local than that,support who you want to support,just stick with em
through thick and thin,no matter what,and thats where loyalty is.]

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.