Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
occured to me the other day that when a player gives a way a penalty if he gets sent off (usually) this is because he denies a goal scoring oppertunity. however, the other team then gets a penalty which is of course a clear goal scoring chance.

so my question is does this not seem overly harsh? almost a double punishment. by the letter of the law surely the player can't be sent off for denying a goal scoring oppertunity as the awarding of a penalty gives the opposition back the chance they have just been denied.

maybe the player should just be given a yellow?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
well no cause they have the chance to also miss the penalty. if you deny a goal scoring opp then its regarded as cheating, even tho sometimes refs get it wrong. makes sense to keep it that way because then diff refs would be doing diff things like the offside rule. should stay as it is

goal scoring opp in the area denied by foul or deliberate handball = penalty and red

foul or deliberate hand ball in the area = penalty and yellow card

that is how it works im not saying it works like that all the time because refs can make mistakes.

only way your gonna get it spot on is by introducing video replays to the game but i most certainly dont want that because this is football and dont want the game to slow down. sometimes things go your way sometimes they dont. i like it that way

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
occured to me the other day that when a player gives a way a penalty if he gets sent off (usually) this is because he denies a goal scoring oppertunity. however, the other team then gets a penalty which is of course a clear goal scoring chance.

so my question is does this not seem overly harsh? almost a double punishment. by the letter of the law surely the player can't be sent off for denying a goal scoring oppertunity as the awarding of a penalty gives the opposition back the chance they have just been denied.

maybe the player should just be given a yellow?
Actually this is a form of double punishment and one that has been lamented by Pierluigi Collina - widely regarded as the best ref in recent history.

In an interview which I posted on this forum a while back, he was asked which rule he thought was unfair and he answered with the scenario you described.

In his opinion, the penalty should be awarded, but the offending player should receive a yellow not his marching orders.

I happen to agree. Just because a player was denied a goal-scoring opportunity doesn't mean he would have scored. So you give him the penalty, but should not penalize the offending team twice by also sending off a player.

Furthermore the straight red will have additional repercussions in for the club'snext fixture.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Actually this is a form of double punishment and one that has been lamented by Pierluigi Collina - widely regarded as the best ref in recent history.

In an interview which I posted on this forum a while back, he was asked which rule he thought was unfair and he answered with the scenario you described.

In his opinion, the penalty should be awarded, but the offending player should receive a yellow not his marching orders.

I happen to agree. Just because a player was denied a goal-scoring opportunity doesn't mean he would have scored. So you give him the penalty, but should not penalize the offending team twice by also sending off a player.

Furthermore the straight red will have additional repercussions in for the club'snext fixture.
I agree, and think this would help in cleaning up the dangerous tackles. Right now you only seem to see reds in obvious goal scoring situations, and they are sometimes applauded like when Ole got his. Red cards lose their significance through this, IMO. Should be saved for the nasty tackles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts