Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dong Fangzhuo's United contract has been cancelled by mutual consent.

The 23-year-old striker became the first ever Chinese player at Old Trafford when he joined from hometown club Dalian Shide in January 2004. He initially spent two years on loan at Royal Antwerp until he was eligible to play in England, and scored 35 goals in 61 games during his time in Belgium.

Dong pulled on the red shirt for the first time in a friendly against Hong Kong XI in July 2005 and scored in the 2-0 win. The following summer he got the winning goal in a 1-0 win over Kaizer Chiefs during the pre-season tour of South Africa.

Dong finally made his competitive debut for the senior side against Chelsea in May 2007, but his struggle to break into Sir Alex Ferguson's squad continued last season.

The forward enjoyed some success in the Reserves, scoring four goals in a three-game purple patch in November.

He also played twice for the senior side in 2007/08, in September's Carling Cup defeat to Coventry and as a substitute in the 1-1 Champions League draw in Rome, before a knee injury ended his season early.

In this summer's Olympics in his homeland he scored a late equaliser for China against New Zealand, but could not prevent his country exiting the tournament at the first stage.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
marty davidson said:
Dong Fangzhuo's United contract has been cancelled by mutual consent.

The 23-year-old striker became the first ever Chinese player at Old Trafford when he joined from hometown club Dalian Shide in January 2004. He initially spent two years on loan at Royal Antwerp until he was eligible to play in England, and scored 35 goals in 61 games during his time in Belgium.

Dong pulled on the red shirt for the first time in a friendly against Hong Kong XI in July 2005 and scored in the 2-0 win. The following summer he got the winning goal in a 1-0 win over Kaizer Chiefs during the pre-season tour of South Africa.

Dong finally made his competitive debut for the senior side against Chelsea in May 2007, but his struggle to break into Sir Alex Ferguson’s squad continued last season.

The forward enjoyed some success in the Reserves, scoring four goals in a three-game purple patch in November.

He also played twice for the senior side in 2007/08, in September's Carling Cup defeat to Coventry and as a substitute in the 1-1 Champions League draw in Rome, before a knee injury ended his season early.

In this summer’s Olympics in his homeland he scored a late equaliser for China against New Zealand, but could not prevent his country exiting the tournament at the first stage.
his stats in belgium were impressive ... i wonder what saf thought when he bought him...a t-shirt boy - maybe that ? anyone ?

Z

·
0 Posts
It's the best thing for him really. He was never going to become a regular
at Old Trafford so it's a wise move to look for regular football elsewhere.

·
Banned
836 Posts
I hate this, when a player who wants to join United because of the love of the club, then is spat out and sold and forgotten about. Yet another striker we've sold, just because they're "not good enough", just like Chris Eagles and Alan Smith.
This is bloody marvellous, we are in desperate need of a striker and we sell one, oh the irony!

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
He was poop,so what if his stats in the back and beyond were good,that doesn;t mean jack here in the Premiership.Schevchenko had a formidable record in Italy,look what happend there.......I never rated Dong,he was flimsy,lightweight and IMO a money spinner for the far east.Good riddance i say

·
Banned
836 Posts
Rooneys_Temper said:
He was poop,so what if his stats in the back and beyond were good,that doesn;t mean jack here in the Premiership.Schevchenko had a formidable record in Italy,look what happend there.......I never rated Dong,he was flimsy,lightweight and IMO a money spinner for the far east.Good riddance i say
That's a big harsh...I think. Imagine if you were Dong, I think he'd be deflated and disappointed, he'll probably return to his country and feel like a failure.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
GeordieMancunian said:
I hate this, when a player who wants to join United because of the love of the club, then is spat out and sold and forgotten about. Yet another striker we've sold, just because they're "not good enough", just like Chris Eagles and Alan Smith.
Bottom line is, we're a football club that wants to win trophies, and thus can't be wasting time placating terrible footballers like Dong, and Smudge. Why would we keep guys who can't cut it? To spare their feelings? How old are you honestly?

·
Breaking into the first team
654 Posts
Bye Dong. All your Trademark Goals and Your Chopstick Mozart Goal Impersination will be missed Very Dearly. We will miss your 30+ Goals a Season.

R.I.P :D

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
I reckon we could have sold him for a little cash. Then again, looking at the sale of Silvestre I think that when a player finds himself not in Fergies plans he gets sold for pittance.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I feel sorry for Dong but TBH he had no chance at all of making it, he's not that young so even if he was given chances he wouldn't improve much.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts