Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The club has registered 25 names on the main list, known as "List A" in the competition rules, and an additional five players born on or after 1 January 1987 on "List B".

The absence of Owen Hargreaves through injury and Manucho on loan to Hull City has freed up two spaces on "List A" - these have been filled with Federico Macheda (squad no. 41) and Davide Petrucci (43) from United's reserve-team ranks.

New signing Zoran Tosic is not registered, however, as he is ineligible. The Serbian played - and scored - for Partizan Belgrade in their third qualifying round defeat by Fenerbahce.

United's "List A" squad for the Champions League last 16 is as follows:

GK: 1. Van der Sar, 12. Foster, 29. Kuszczak
Def: 2. Neville, 3. Evra, 5. Ferdinand, 6. Brown, 15. Vidic, 20. Fabio, 21. Rafael, 22. O'Shea
Mid: 8. Anderson, 11. Giggs, 13. Park, 16. Carrick, 17. Nani, 18. Scholes, 24. Fletcher, 34. Possebon, 43. Petrucci
Fwds: 7. Ronaldo, 9. Berbatov, 10. Rooney, 32. Tevez, 41. Macheda

"List B": Ben Amos, Richard Eckersley, Jonny Evans, Darron Gibson and Danny Welbeck.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
cleavers11 said:
SAF probably going with 4-3-3 formation. That's my guess
Thats been put down by manutd.com . It doesnt make a difference ffs. :rolleyes:

Its just a list - and Ronaldo has been given the TAG of a fwd. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
It doesnt make any difference. What matters is he is in the squad :)

Great for Macheda and Petrucci . SAD that Tosic isnt there

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
From wiki...

A winger is an attacking player who is stationed in a wide position near the touchlines. They can be classified as forwards, considering their origin as the old "outside-forward" position, and continue to be termed as such in most parts of the world, especially in Latin and Dutch footballing cultures.

:p

Good to see another couple of youngsters included in the squad although they are very unlikely to get any game time.

I didn't know Tosic was cup-tied.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Petrucci is a surprise ahead of Gibson, but maybe we have enough CM's in list A and Petrucci might offer something different ( thats if he's even likely to be used )!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Rooneys_Temper said:
we aint Latin or Dutch,and whatever Wiki or anyone says hes a Mid of some form :D
He's Ronaldo, end of discussion:) haha

good depth in all areas in the squad. quietly confident on a successful CL defence if we avoid barca, and even if we get them, im sure we can throw em to the wolves!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Ronaldo basically is a foward, he's a winger which can be classed as either lets be honest he's barely a midfielder.

Surprised Macheda is in the main squad ahead of Welbeck and Evans being put in the B one is a bit weird, considering we were all expecting him to start with Rio in the middle for the Inter game!

·
Registered
590 Posts
So is 'B' like the reservers to come in if anyone gets injured? If it is then I'm disapointed that Evans hasn't been included in 'A' :eek: I thought he had a good chance of playing against Inter in the first leg with Vida being suspended

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Imagine if we got Roma in the quarters (again) and we had injuries, and Petrucci came on and scored a winner :D

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Nemanjaaa said:
Surprised Macheda is in the main squad ahead of Welbeck and Evans being put in the B one is a bit weird, considering we were all expecting him to start with Rio in the middle for the Inter game!
I just read the UEFA eligibility rules and, the way I understand it, the reason they put Wellbeck and Evans on list B is because they could. It doesn't mean they can't play - players on both lists are eligible to play - but it does open up a couple of spots on list A.

Anybody have a different understanding?

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Rooneys_Temper said:
we aint Latin or Dutch,and whatever Wiki or anyone says hes a Mid of some form :D
Lol, yeah tbh I missed out the bit after it says 'most parts of the World...except in Anglo-Saxon countries where they are referred to as midfielders.' :p :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
moondog said:
I just read the UEFA eligibility rules and, the way I understand it, the reason they put Wellbeck and Evans on list B is because they could. It doesn't mean they can't play - players on both lists are eligible to play - but it does open up a couple of spots on list A.

Anybody have a different understanding?
I hope your right on this one moondog

I think Evans could be a vital player for us. Having said that we do have Wes coming back which is obviously a big plus.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
jd_united said:
So is 'B' like the reservers to come in if anyone gets injured? If it is then I'm disapointed that Evans hasn't been included in 'A' :eek: I thought he had a good chance of playing against Inter in the first leg with Vida being suspended
List B is for players born after 1 January 1987 but they can still be used at any time. Evans is on the list since he's under 22.

It couldn't be Brown or O'Shea because since they were born before 87 they wouldn't have been eligable for the B list.

The only players on the A list who could've made the B list were the twins & Fergie had room so he registered them on the A list.

If I say list one more time somebody punch me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts