Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
moondog said:
Right. So if the ref saw it - and the commentators on Setanta were pretty sure he did - it should have been a red card.
No, it would be a yellow for intentionally handling the ball.

You can't give a red card for "denying an obivous goal scoring situation" when the advantage is played and the goal materialized.

Granted, I didn't see it, so I am only going by your re-cap, but to me it sounds like it should have just been a yellow on the player who prevented the goal.

To give the red card would have interfered with the spirit of the game, a la the Champions league final with Lehman. Had the referee waited the extra half-second and seen the ball played to another attacker to put the ball in, it is just a yellow with the goal being awarded.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
-zuco- said:
I think this happened in one of the Barcelona group games in 98/99. Phil Neville handled the ball on the line and Barca scored, but the referee pulled it back, gave a penalty and sent Phil off. That's the correct decision in my opinion and should have happened today.
Wrong. You don't take a goal off the scoreboard. Suppose they take the goal out, they miss the penalty and then lose/draw the game when they could have had a better result with with a draw/win.

The reason the goal wasn't allowed with Neville if I remember correctly, is that the whistle blew before the ball was put in the net.

Does a team have potentially better odds at winning the match being a man up with a penalty? Yes. Does it mean it is the correct call? No.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
-zuco- said:
There wouldn't be a goal on the scoreboard if the referee blew the whistle for the handball. I disagree with you on this.
So a whistle should be blown as soon as the foul/infraction/misconduct occurs? Then you have no advantage calls which takes away from the game.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
-zuco- said:
The player should be sent off for unlawfully trying to prevent a goal. Whether he lets play run and comes back to issue the red card, or he gives a penalty and a red card I don't mind, as long as the red card is given.
Shit, thank goodness you aren't a judge. Every foul is a red card as it is trying to prevent a goal. :rolleyes:

The point of the denying an obvious goal scoring situation is if it in fact denies a goal. When you let play continue and advantage materializes and a goal is created, they didn't prevent a goal, so there is no offense that was goal denying.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
-zuco- said:
Where do you draw the line with regards to advantage played? Five seconds? Ten seconds? It's too ambiguous. if the referee gives nothing and then a goal is scored ten minutes later, is that a good advantage played? :confused:
When gauging advantage the amount of time increases as the attack moves down the field, since restarts can sometimes be more threatening than having an advantage called. I have seen some referees wait up to 2-3 seconds around midfield, which personally I think is too long. Once inside the box, the decision must be made quicker, because you obviously aren't going to wait 10 minutes to see if a team scores. This is a theory question, so it is one that will always be hard to argue without video or when not in person.

I will try to track down some material on this as well if I get the chance the next couple days.

(Also as you go up your defensive half, you rarely want advantage and would rather have the kick and move everyone out of your half.)

BTW, I am just telling you what the Laws of the Game and the advice given to referees say. Not what I would prefer as a coach or a supporter of a team. If it were me, I would want the red card and the penalty for United, but that isn't the way it should be called according to the rules and interpretations of them.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
united forever said:
.if you make a foul in the box and the goal is scored 2 seconds later there giving a penalty will harm the fouled teamed more as for the red card true gis attempt to unlawfully stop the goal didn't work but its like an atempted murder case the culprit doesn't actually kill anybody but he's stillgets locked up same should happen here
First off, are you seriously going to compare fouls on a soccer pitch to murder and attempted murder?

Secondly, that kinda defeats your argument in doing so, because the punishment isn't the same, kinda like a yellow card for 10-25 years for attempted murder and execution for murder.

So yeah, your logic fails like your spelling. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.