Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_3546428,00.html

Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina has claimed the Premier League's golden gloves award for the third season in succession.

Reina has kept more clean sheets than any other goalkeeper in the top flight, and is assured of the title this season with closest rival David James out injured in Portsmouth's final game of the campaign.

But Reina is more concerned with Liverpool's overall progress following a campaign that has seen them trophyless for the second season on the trot, while already being assured of fourth spot in the table and Champions League qualification for next term.

Reina said: "We are growing up as a team, year in and year out. We need to keep improving all the time because if you do that it gives you an even better chance of winning trophies.

"But we also need to bring in some more good players like Fernando Torres and Javier Mascherano.

"The most important thing is to keep on making progress so that we can get closer and closer to the sides at the top.

"We will work hard to make this happen, though, and I am sure the manager is already thinking of bringing in some players to help us to do that.

"It is a collective thing. There is no point in three or four players doing well if we do not all do well.

"You win as a team and you lose as a team, so it is all about making progress as a team.

"We are still a young side. We have a couple of centre-backs in their early 20s, Mascherano is 23 and Torres is 24 - we can only get better and better."

And Reina is looking for improvement in his own performances next term.

He added: "Of course I can get better. Every player can improve and no-one should ever think they can no longer get any better.

"You have to keep on working hard every day in training and in matches and if you do that then you have a chance to become the very best player you possibly can.

"That is the same for everyone in football and I am no different. I know there are things I can improve upon and I will continue to work hard so I can try to become better."

With 17 clean sheets from 37 Premier League games this term, Reina is one ahead of James, who has been ruled out of this weekend's fixtures with a calf injury.

Reina said: "I will be looking to keep another clean sheet at Tottenham because that would mean we will get at least a draw.

"That is always important. If you do not concede a goal then it gives you a better chance of winning games, so if the defence and the goalkeeper can do their jobs it makes it easier for the attacking players to do theirs.

"But for me the job is now done. We have managed to secure fourth place and from a personal point of view I am happy to get the golden gloves."

- It just goes to show that keeping clean sheets means you cannot lose, but doesn;t mean you;ll win. (to state the bleeding obvious)
You gotta score goals to win and we are very lucky in that department for most of the season. Well, I love bitching about Liverfool and I would like to point out that this is the only accolade that Liverpool will win this season.....muahahahahah

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Really? When it comes to clean sheets I would've thought Van De Sar has kept the most.

Or possibly Cech. I would've picked Reina as third if I didn't see the statistics.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
dlan4327 said:
Really? When it comes to clean sheets I would've thought Van De Sar has kept the most.

Or possibly Cech. I would've picked Reina as third if I didn't see the statistics.
Me too. My first thought was the 3 complete months we had without conceding.

Liverpool have conceded 28 goals in the Premiership as opposed to 22 by United. United have conceded only 7 (SEVEN) goals at home all season. LFC conceded 13.

So, who is the better keeper? VsS or Reina (who had such a miserable day at OT, panicking and flapping like a penguin without a wrapper!!

Liverpool has won only 20 games in the League. United have won 26.

J

·
0 Posts
Reina is a class keeper. Liverpool have lost less games than United, its just that we have drawn too many. Don't see why some of ye are surprised, he's won this award 3 years in a row. He's proven his worth in the premeir league.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
............. but by that token all you have is a "keeper?

From BBC on United:

. Secured 26 victories, scored 78 goals, at one every 43 minutes on average, and conceded 22, at one every 151 minutes (two hours 31 minutes); the best in all three categories. They have let in four fewer than their top-flight club record of 26 in 1997-97, and 2004-05. A clean sheet (today) could also make it their best ever defensive performance in a league season, eclipsing the 23 conceded in the old Second Division campaign of 1924-25.

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
jamsieboy86 said:
Reina is a class keeper. Liverpool have lost less games than United, its just that we have drawn too many. Don't see why some of ye are surprised, he's won this award 3 years in a row. He's proven his worth in the premeir league.
Shame we cant say the same about the rest of that sunday league team you call Liverpool

:cool:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yeah all these poo fans go on about this so called award to the keeper which fair enough is quite a good acheivement...but it doesn't really prove to me who is the better keeper in the EPL because James, Cech and Van der Sar have played less games because of injuries and hence a lesser chance to keep more clean sheets even thought they have conceded less goals than Reina

J

·
0 Posts
Yeah its a fair point about the goals conceded, but when keepers retire they always look back at their clean sheet record, it seems to be how they judge their individual success. But the otherhand the other keepers have played less games so they stand to concede less goals. I'm not trying to say Reina is the best keeper, I personally think VDS and Cech are better keepers, I'd say Reina is the 3rd best keeper. He's played the most games, kept the most clean sheets, he deserves this award.

manutd43va said:
what's a liverpool fan doing here?
This is a Football Banter section, you need opposition fans to have banter with:D

·
23,699 Posts
jamsieboy86 said:
This is a Football Banter section, you need opposition fans to have banter with:D
Arb-sa-loot-ly. You have thus far been pretty decent, fair and sensible.

Cheers!! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts