Manchester United Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all i am not religous and not trying to convert anyone either way.. this is a simple discussion thread, please no "dissing" any religon.

well, like i say....does religon effect a players playing standard.
i first thought this when watching Kaka play. he is very religous and is one of the best players in the world without doubt.
i also thinmk ronaldhinho is religous...also another great player... im not sure about anyone else.
of course there are many players that are not even slightly religous, but that could just be non-stop practice(neville for example).

what i am saying is maybe, just maybe there is someone up there helping these players along for showing faith.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
good thread. you could be right.but then again kaka and and ronaldinho are brazilian, and brazil is a very religous country, so maybe its just coincidence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
I actually prayed during the CL final........
Faith and religion affect people in different ways, mainly positive depending
on what your beliefs are.

I know Kaka turned to God earlier in life after sustaining horrific injuries
in a swimming pool accident.....He was supossed to never be able to play
football professionally, but look at him now. He puts it all down to God
and his beliefs.......
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,926 Posts
Before I start, I want to say, I'm not very religious but do believe that your life is planned out before you.....

...With regards to players, your right. It does seem to have an effect, but how
many players do you see come on as a substitute, bless themselves and no
offence to them, play badly.

It's a hard one to get your head around....
 

·
Arse Bandito
Joined
·
1,527 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I actually prayed during the CL final........
i did too during the 1999 final :)
thank me everyone!

i personally am not really very religious though. but aged 7 if your mum says if you pray it might happen, you think why not.

in the case of kaka, ronaldihno etc-maybe the belief spurs them on and gives them the confidence to try tricks and make runs and take shots because they think that there is some sort of religious input helping them along?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,207 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I actually prayed during the CL final........
Faith and religion affect people in different ways, mainly positive depending
on what your beliefs are.

I know Kaka turned to God earlier in life after sustaining horrific injuries
in a swimming pool accident.....He was supossed to never be able to play
football professionally, but look at him now. He puts it all down to God
and his beliefs.......

Amazing.....

Don't want this reply to be too much about me, but I was pretty much against any form of religion until 3 years ago. I too prayed during the CL final and those who read my best Case scenarion thread and i'm not worried thread might have suspected something along those lines.

Anyways, my life has been nothing short of amazing since I have found God and may I add that Man Utd has fared a lot better too :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,607 Posts
cjl_safcfan said:
First of all i am not religous and not trying to convert anyone either way.. this is a simple discussion thread, please no "dissing" any religon.

well, like i say....does religon effect a players playing standard.
i first thought this when watching Kaka play. he is very religous and is one of the best players in the world without doubt.
i also thinmk ronaldhinho is religous...also another great player... im not sure about anyone else.
of course there are many players that are not even slightly religous, but that could just be non-stop practice(neville for example).

what i am saying is maybe, just maybe there is someone up there helping these players along for showing faith.
1. religious
2. Religion
3. Affect
Concentrate more at skool ;)

These Mormon's knocked on my door one day, Can we talk about - no you cant I said"

Do You go to church they persisted
Yes, every Saturday?
Saturday? Can we put you down as a Jew?
No I said, "United"
what is your religion? they persisted
BAA I said
What is that they asked innocently?
Born Again Athiest now (I swore)
SLAM!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,457 Posts
I saw a picture of a Church sign the other day. You know those boards they have outside Churches with removable letters?

The board said "What would you do if Jesus came back today?"

Underneath someone scribbled "Move McNally to full forward and play Jesus at Center - Half" :D

I know, cheesy and borderline sacrilegious... but so good I couldn't resist. :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,946 Posts
Red Devil said:
Concentrate more at skool ;)

These Mormon's knocked on my door one day, Can we talk about - no you cant I said"
1. No apostrophe required in Mormons.
2. Capital letter not required after a comma - ", Can we talk......".
3. Apostrophe required in 'can't'
4. Speech marks seem to be at the end of your sentence - but not at the beginning.

Tut tut RD ... maybe you should have concentrated more at school too ... ;)

I can teach English - for a small fee of course ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
1. No apostrophe required in Mormons.
2. Capital letter not required after a comma - ", Can we talk......".
3. Apostrophe required in 'can't'
4. Speech marks seem to be at the end of your sentence - but not at the beginning.

Tut tut RD ... maybe you should have concentrated more at school too ... ;)

I can teach English - for a small fee of course ...
I'm up for private lessons :p
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,664 Posts
I watch quite a lot of American sports and find it very amusing when players thank God for helping them play well and making their team win.

Oh yes, God blessed the Dallas Cowboys today :rolleyes:

Having faith in whatever God(s) you believe in is fine with me but don't you think He/they have better things to do than help you win a football game? :confused:

Kaka has the right approach. He thanks God for blessing him with tremendous skills and then works hard to make the most of what he believes God has given him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,457 Posts
reddwarf said:
I... find it very amusing when players thank God for helping them play well and making their team win.
Yeah, I think that too sometimes. :) Although I remember a Columbian football match where lightning struck down all 11 players

on one team and left the other team completely unscathed. :eek: So possibly God does occasonally gamble on matches.

I mean let's be honest. Drogba hitting the post. Lampard shaving the underside of the crossbar. Terry doing a face plant and smacking the woodwork...

Sometimes you can only look towards the heavens and think "Divine Intervention". :rolleyes:
 

·
Pz
Joined
·
2,062 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
1. No apostrophe required in Mormons.
2. Capital letter not required after a comma - ", Can we talk......".
3. Apostrophe required in 'can't'
4. Speech marks seem to be at the end of your sentence - but not at the beginning.

Tut tut RD ... maybe you should have concentrated more at school too ... ;)

I can teach English - for a small fee of course ...

Lmao, you deserve rep points for this post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
i think it's skill, talent ,luck and the best manager in the world that has won us trophies, don't really think praying would've got us these.lol.mind you who knows?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
very interesting topicCj and I compliment you for bringing it up.

i am quite spiritual myself and i do believe religion is a source of strength for a player when performing. Kaka. ronaldinho have been mentioned above but there are many others e.g c ronaldo, adebayor who have this enormous self belief that without a divine inspiration their prowess would be not nearly as effective. When it comes to football religion certainly does not have a detrimental effect on the way players perform and the power of prayer cannot be understated if the intentions are for the right reasons. I mentioned ronaldo above and feel that fate did play a part in him missing the penalty in the cl final after all his egotistical rhetoric about being the best player in the world.Without sounding too philosophical religion, taken in moderation should teach modesty and humility but at the same time self confidence in whatever path we choose in life.

whatever your view on religion the gods were smiling on the red devils on the 21st of may but given our nickname he maybe likes to keep us on the edge of our seats. sure does test our faith:D
 
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top