Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
Nav21 said:
i don't know about mcgeady. He won't fit in. plus a replacement for ronaldo? no way. but your right bout ribery. It would be the biggest mistake in united's history if we buy him. If ronny does go. sir alex should do what he done when beckham left. Buy an unknown, exciting, diamond in the rough type player. cause if he takes time to settle, their are still options in the current squad, but in the end, he would turn into a world-class player. I watch brazilian football alot, a few names have impressed, obviously that costa kid who sir alex seems to like. Lulinha, doesn't score many, but neither did ronaldo. Guilherme is a striker, but can easily be made into deadly winger. I'm not saying just buy brazilian because we have got a few that look like suceeding, but i can only say what i see every week. In the end, sir alex could easily buy any player, and it would still work. Except ribery!
Lulinha is class

agree with you maybe we should go looking on small unkown young names like Lulinha or maybe the Argantinian who scored the goal in the Olympics final or maybe we sign an unknown talents this season and play then with the reserve like we signed Rafael or Possebon last season and am sure Stam would catch some gems while hes scouring at brazil

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
There is not a direct replacement for ronaldo anywhere in the world...Messi simply cannot be got imo so lets forget about him...so take messi out the equation and nobody is a 'real' replacement.

Ribery is a playmaker and is a top player but different to ronaldo...though i do think he would be a good signing should we get him, just different to ronnie

Young is more in the mold of nani than ronaldo imo and not even close to ronaldos ability and are probably the same age? Don't need him imo

I am with those who say we should go for a upcoming superstar...'next big thing' etc like ronaldo was...buy the best 17-18 yr old kid out there...that would probably mean some brazilian/argentinian/portugese kid and groom him to be the next united number 7....which means the total package after ronnie...let him show off and perfect his tricks, make ot his theatre and with time, he'll develop should we buy something with crazy talent, just like ronaldo.

The seven shirt for united is special and lets be honest, whoever has to takeover the shirt from ronaldo will have to be amazing so to me, i think an unknown quantity with huge potential would probably have the most time and confidence to do it...remember kids usually have the least fear! Plus people would not expect instant results from a kid whereas you give the number shirt and replacement tag to a known big name and the pressure could possibly be to big a job imo.

Just my opinion

pz!

G

·
The title of this thread should not be "IF Ronaldo leaves in the summer".

It should be " IF Ronaldo leaves in the Jan transfer window", or "WHEN Ronaldo leaves in the summer.

Back on topic now...Ribery is definatly a player we should be looking at more closely with a view to adding him for all the reasons already stated.

Young ? I've got to go along with OG on him, not up there in my opinion.

Schweinsteiger wasn't the first name that came to mind, ( need more thought about him ).

First name past my lips would have to be Ribery, in my opinion he's already better than Ronaldo.

I find it a bit odd that some people keep mentioning the nationality of players though, French, Brazilian etc. He could be a French Brazilian from Outer Mongolia for all i care, as long as he's the finished product on the pitch.

PS..Abo... Your favourite ever player is a "frog"...CANTONA !!!! ( or had you forgot ?? :p ).

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
United_OG said:
There is not a direct replacement for ronaldo anywhere in the world...Messi simply cannot be got imo so lets forget about him...so take messi out the equation and nobody is a 'real' replacement.

Ribery is a playmaker and is a top player but different to ronaldo...though i do think he would be a good signing should we get him, just different to ronnie

Young is more in the mold of nani than ronaldo imo and not even close to ronaldos ability and are probably the same age? Don't need him imo

The seven shirt for united is special and lets be honest, whoever has to takeover the shirt from ronaldo will have to be amazing so to me, i think an unknown quantity with huge potential would probably have the most time and confidence to do it...remember kids usually have the least fear! Plus people would not expect instant results from a kid whereas you give the number shirt and replacement tag to a known big name and the pressure could possibly be to big a job imo.

Just my opinion

pz!

I would hand the number 7 shirt to Ribery without any qualms. the man is a genius.
Ashley Young can develope further at Man Utd and is more team oriented than Nani.
Schweinsteiger is anther player I would see at United (as I said in my first post) and I would hand him the number 7 as well. Confidence means everything to a player - you bring any one of those three to Old Trafford and let them play in the starting 11 and it will be a wonderful boost for them.

If we were to get a young player, I would prefer to get a left-footed winger and switch Nani to he right, unless Nani doesthe smart thing and learns to use his left foot more convincingly.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
abojodeh said:
why because hes french :D
and ahh your french so Frogs are holy because you french people eat them :p

Ribery wastes plenty of goals and probably worse than Anderson infront of goal also his crossing is very decent and he only gets assists cuz Klose is an wonderful header of ball with good height and immense jumps also Toni who nods in some headers after wasting 394823847 chance :p or when Ribery brakes into the area and gives a Pro Evo pass to another teammate which is hard to do again all defences ;)
Yep you are spot on Abo!
Darren Bent is the best striker in the world. In one of those footy crap games he have scored more then 30 times in 11 games (could be more since this is a few days old stats). So I hope Fergie will buy him in january for £250M+

COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN FERGIE!!

:rolleyes:

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
We have a replacement!!! Nani!!!!!!.....i dont see what all the hype is about woith ribery!??

Ronaldo is very direct and so is nani...he did well against celtic...its only his second season here!
He will develope BETTER than ronaldo...and he wont have all this crap with madrid coming about!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I'd be tempted to go for Kaka.

I know he would not be a direct replacment for Ronaldo as he is more of a central attacking player but he is a skilful goal scoring midfielder who has the pace to play on the wing (he has done so for Brazil).

He can't be happy playing UEFA Cup football this season and, although it's early days, AC Milan are currently 6th in Serie A. If they have another poor season he may become available.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
nani should be in there if he matures and his game develops a lot more...like a younger ronaldo, given enough time he may well develop into a great player.he just needs to work on his general game and with SAF to guide him hes has got no greater opportunity- safe to say though he is eithr going to carry on a be really good or it's going to be one of the players who you always look at and think-if only. to be fair when he's on the pitch yes he can be infuriating but watching him week in week out he is improving

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I would hand the number 7 shirt to Ribery without any qualms. the man is a genius.
Ashley Young can develope further at Man Utd and is more team oriented than Nani.
Schweinsteiger is anther player I would see at United (as I said in my first post) and I would hand him the number 7 as well. Confidence means everything to a player - you bring any one of those three to Old Trafford and let them play in the starting 11 and it will be a wonderful boost for them.

If we were to get a young player, I would prefer to get a left-footed winger and switch Nani to he right, unless Nani doesthe smart thing and learns to use his left foot more convincingly.
No real arguements with u here, i would love to see ribery at united, he is class but playing in germany, there is more room for error and you won't be as decisive and clinical a player as you would be if you were playing in spain/england imo and i think that showed a little in his performances for france in the euro championships. Having said that, i do agree that i would have no problem with giving him the number 7 shirt should ronnie leave and hopefully he would develop even further here because i dont think he could claim to be the best player in the world playing in germany imo.

Still not convinced about young but you seem very sure, so im not going to say anything about that! :cool:

As for bastien schweinsteiger, thats an interesting call imo. The guy has a bullet shot and works hard but is he material to replace ronnie? Or will he end up like alan smith who was shocking as a striker to be honest...no threat, kinda like a 5th defender for the opposition...

I spent a year in germany and peoples opinion of him was like what we're like about young, im not so sure, you're certain, or of nani where people think he has ability but others think he is overrated. I'm just asking why u think bastien could replace ronnie? because thats an interesting statement.

Also what do you think the guy who replaces ronaldo; should he leave requires? Someone like ronnie who was single minded, made the seven shirt his own and made ot his playground, scored goals, created goals and most of all excitement or something different as a replacement? I do agree that whoever takes over the number 7 shirt will have to put his own stamp on the shirt though because replacing ronnie right now directly could be almost an impossible task.

By the salford, my bad about mentioning nationalities such as brazil/portugal and argentina, im not into steriotyping but its just in general amazing individuals are created from these nations is why i said it, but i agree, i dont care where they come from, aslong as they are the best, please join!

pz!:cool:

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
by the way, someone mentioning kaka was also interesting, how great would that be!! :cool: Not sure it would be possible though, cannot see him leaving milan for anyone but madrid to be honest.

pz

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Normally I would accuse the thread starter of being premature but in this case, not. Ronaldo is but a pale shadow of himself this season, he is playing because he HAS to, not because he loves to. IMO he should be dropped.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.