Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...080.ap.soc.man.united.ronaldo.0357/index.html

MADRID, Spain (AP) -Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo says he is likely to remain at the Premiership champion next season after a long flirtation with Real Madrid in the off season.

In an interview published Sunday by Spanish sports daily Marca, the 23-year-old said that though he had been interested in joining Real Madrid, a conversation with United manager Alex Ferguson caused him to change his mind.

"I am a Manchester United player and right now I think I am going to remain here next season,'' Ronaldo said.

"A meeting with Ferguson on July 14, was key in my not going to Madrid,'' said Ronaldo, adding it had been the right decision.

"In Lisbon I reached an agreement with him (Ferguson),'' said Ronaldo. The decision "consisted in that the best thing for everyone was for me to stay at Old Trafford.''

Ronaldo said that Ferguson had listened to his arguments in favor of joining Madrid. "Then I listened to his arguments. Now I understand I have taken the most correct decision.''

"Now I am body and soul a Red Devils player,'' Ronaldo said. "I am a Manchester United player and I want the club, my fellow players and the fans to be respected. I prefer not to talk of other teams at this time.''

The Madeira-born player's comments came two days after Madrid president Ramon Calderon said his club had given up trying to sign Ronaldo.

"He is playing in Manchester,'' Calderon said. "It's something that's been closed. Manchester didn't want to sell the player, we can't do anything,'' Calderon told the BBC in London.

"It's not our intention to get in trouble with any club. Manchester is one of the biggest clubs in the world and we want to have a good relationship,'' Calderon said."We will not do anything against them.''

·
23,699 Posts
Trust takes a long while to build and just a summer to wreck it.

But just in case it is true, we should do nothing but watch. And wait.

Afterall, it takes a long while to build (again). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
A)Its Marca
B)He says he thinks he will be here next season.
so who knows what to think?
If he stays he stays, if he goes he goes and we move on.
No player is bigger than the club.

While he is still a United player I will continue to support him whether
I like him or not. Obviously Id prefer him to stay as he is one of the best in the World.
I think if he stays next season he could be here for a few more years on top of that.
To have the chance of legendary status at OT would be hard to turn away from.
He could smash all sorts of records if he stuck around.
If he did go, he would be greatly missed, more than a lot of you would care to admit. (as Ant said in the Ron thread)

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
if it was before the Westbrom match i would have believed it cuz in the matches before Westbrom he wasn't so glum and careless as he is now :rolleyes:

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
Yeah, wink wink Cristiano.

He also said, straight after the CL Final 'I will stay'. and we all know what happened next.

He's just said this to try and get the fans off his back.

Him and Calderon are full of ****.

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
I don't trust him at all. Everyone remembers yhe summer transfer period. If an offer from real arrives he'll turn his back on us and never look back.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
christianoharleiro said:
He's just said this to try and get the fans off his back.
Exactly.

He doesn't want to be here whatever he says, and in all honesty as I've said quite a lot, we should have sold him in the summer. I'm starting to have a real hatred for him that I've never felt towards another Man Utd player before.

I also think its quite "strange" that he is claimed to have said this a couple of days after Calderon let his voice be heard.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When his on-pitch behaviour matches his off-field comments, I'll believe him.

Even then he still needs to mauture a bit more and start playing 100% for the team, not just himself. And that includes letting other take free kicks especially when he can't find his range.

·
23,699 Posts
Words are meaningless these days. If he puts pen to paper for a contract extension, I will believe he truly wants to stay.

·
Registered
585 Posts
He looked happy when Fletcher scored yesterday, first to congratulate him smiling, he looked delighted when he set up Rooney with a backheel against Bolton and he looked very happy in fridays training

and I think I know why that is. Training- around friends, whole word watching, no pressure etc. Nobody will see if he does anything wrong.

Matches, there is pressure on him to hit top form and on top of that, the whole word is watching and ready to criticise.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
littlepat said:
What rubbish.

How can you claim to hate somebody you don't even know? Seek help please.

Secondly, this interview was done on Thursday (before Calderon said anything), but it was a two parter, first part published yesterday, second today. Marca obviously spent the Friday typing it up etc.

and I am glad you claim to know he is lying and doesn't want to be here. Are you called Ferguson? No. Ferguson would be truely ashamed of some of the supporters we have if he know what people were writing. If Ferguson wants a player at a club, thats good enough for me, if you don't **** of and go support Chel$ki.

He WANTED to go people, get over it. He knows he handled it badly and now wants to remain just like he wanted to remain in 2006 and signed a new contract afterwards. People learn from their mistakes

I have supported United since we were languishing in division two. I am not a recent glory boy, of which we have plenty of and the thought of having a portugese player in the team, yet alone one was so good was laughable so forgive me if I am happy that one is here for it looks to be at least seven seasons.

I would love to see how many supporters would remain should we go back to those days

End of
Erm...

Perhaps by the way he dives, rolls around, feigns injury and his behaviour this summer where he took the supporters for a ride shows that I can hate him.

Its nice to know theres a know-it-all like you on this site. After all, you know an awful lot about Marca, knowing whats happening with the contracts and the fact that you know for a fact Ronaldo wants to stay. I mean, your the only person I've read in recent weeks who knows Ronaldo wants to stay and the only person I've seen with inside knowledge on this site.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
littlepat said:
But I bet none of those things bothered you before the summer. I stand by what I say, to talk about hating someone who has done nothing personally to you, and before you say he hurt man utd, no he didn't otherwise SAF would have sold him unless you have such little faith in SAF that you think he would have kept a player that did that. Hate in that context reminds me of what I used to be like, when I was about 12.

I know whats happening with the contracts because SAF said in the summer he is looking to extend Rooney and Ronaldo's contracts, going by Ronaldo's comments and the fact my sister in Spain, said the Marca interview was recorded on video and shown on spanish tv, where they asked him if he wanted to talk about his future, the rest kind of follows.
So basically you assume that Ronaldo wants to sign a deal because Sir Alex said in the summer he wanted to get Rooney and Ronaldo to sign improved contracts? :rolleyes:

Your the only supporter I've come across in the past few months who actually thinks Ronaldo wants to stay. He doesn't, but hes too much of a coward to tell anyone otherwise.

Sir Alex kept him because hes the best player in the World and he would/will be hard to replace if/when he goes. Sir Alex didn't plan his team for this season for Ronaldo being sold. If he had, he would have been straight out the door.

And his behaviour did bother me before the summer. It was his only blot on his report card. But the fact is its getting worse, but nobody, the manager, coaching team, his team-mates seems to be doing anything about it. Sir Alex seems to just indirectly defend it, actually.

I was watching Sky Sports this morning, and to sit and watch a programme where the presenters and guests sit and burst themselves laughing at his behaviour is extremely embarrassing to say the least, and it seems to have gotten worse this year.

And how anyone can defend him after Sepp Blatter said Ronaldo staying at Utd was slavery, then in an interview which was recorded on camera and then shown, Ronaldo said that he agreed with Blatter!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Maybe he is "saying the opposite" to try to get back on the supporters side. And don't start telling me about Scotland. I actually do support a Scottish club, one by the name of Hibs. And I also find your comments about me living "on some small Scottish island" quite hate filled and bitter, which is no surprise.

As I said, Ronaldo is the best player in the World so we obviously weren't going to sell him.

And if it doesn't bother the players, it should. Its disgraceful and drama queens? Quite frankly, if Ronaldo played for anyone else he would be slated and if he was playing against us our players would be the first berate him if he took a dive. So take your rose-tinted glasses off. Quite frankly, its cheating.

No Ronaldo doesn't care. He only cares about himself, and doesn't care about his cheating. Which is what it is, plain and simple.

And c'mon, hardly a mistake. Its the truth. He doesn't want to be here, plain and simple. All through the summer he avoided giving a straight-forward answer. On 2 occasions he said he would announce his future within the next 48 hours, and we're still waiting for it the first time.

And don't talk about anyone expressing their opinion as "matter of factly." The only person that is doing that is you.

But I'm running out of patience with you and am not going to keep going on. Despite bragging about being a United supporter since "the dark days" you seem to look like nothing but a Ronaldo fan.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Manchester United's so called die-hard fans are gonna be responsible for driving Ronaldo away from Old Trafford.

As long as he pulls on a United shirt, he is a United player and someone who i will chant and support

·
Registered
139 Posts
antdevil78 said:
Manchester United's so called die-hard fans are gonna be responsible for driving Ronaldo away from Old Trafford.

As long as he pulls on a United shirt, he is a United player and someone who i will chant and support

Hear Hear - we so need to move on from the summer, its really startin to get old now.

and the reason why he looks so bloody miserable all the time is probably coz he still hasnt found the form he had last season and i imagine that its really frustrating for him.

So lets get off hes back and let time do the talking..................

1 - 17 of 17 Posts