Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE FA were guilty of sticking two fingers up at their own Respect campaign.

Guilty because there will be no serious action taken against Manchester United or Chelsea after another snarling clash on Sunday.

Guilty for allowing referee Mike Riley and his fourth official Rob Styles to let Rio Ferdinand off for his foul-mouthed rant at the final whistle.

And guilty for washing their hands of the Chelsea thug who threw a bottle at United's team coach, cracking its windscreen.

In fact, the only penalty dished out by Soho Square in the aftermath of the second Battle of the Bridge in five months was an automatic fine.

For their seven bookings — three of which were for dissent to the now ‘protected' referee — United will pay the princely sum of £25,000.

If ever there was a statement of no intent, then there it is.

Rio could pay the fine for his club from the change left in his weekly £120,000 pay packet.

And all of this despite the fact the same two clubs were at the centre of a mass brawl in the wake of their last Premier League meeting in April.

Back then, United players — including captain Gary Neville — fought with Chelsea groundstaff after a 2-1 defeat.

Ferdinand accidentally kicked a female steward in the tunnel and Blues staff were accused of racially abusing Patrice Evra.

What happened? A similar piddling fine and a slap on the wrist for the offenders.

But that was before the FA mounted their big new idea for better behaviour in football.

They trumpeted a new era of ‘Respect' for match officials and the rules of the game just TWO months ago.

Already the wheels have fallen off and the insults are flying.

During Sunday's 1-1 draw, Cristiano Ronaldo, Dimitar Berbatov and Ferdinand were shown yellow cards for moaning about decisions to the ref.

That despite the fact the whole point of the ‘Respect' campaign is only the captain can address the referee on any decision.

Ironically, United skipper Neville was also booked, though not for dissent.

Advertisement

Wayne Rooney was cautioned for a foul on Ashley Cole and then berated Riley for more than a minute without getting a further warning.

Is it any wonder? Riley is the ref who begged Cole to look at him when he was talking — and booking him — during an incident at Tottenham last season.

The pathetic spectacle of the match official humiliated by a player was the catalyst to the whole ‘Respect' campaign, which is turning into an embarrassment after just a few weeks.

But it is not just the players' fault. Referees have to earn respect and after some of the ****-ups already this season they barely deserve it.

Just remember these incidents:

The penalty Everton were denied at Stoke nine days ago and manager David Moyes' subsequent sending-off.

Reading's ludicrous ‘ghost goal' at Watford on Saturday.

Chelsea skipper John Terry being red-carded at Manchester City and then reinstated because of a refereeing error.

Those and other mistakes hardly inspire the confidence of players, managers or fans. And then there is the FA itself.

A SunSport survey of football discipline shows there have been more cards shown in Premier League matches so far this campaign — a total of 159 — than five seasons ago.

Still, the total has decreased from last year — though the number of errors and controversies has increased.

Yesterday, the FA boldly said no further action will be taken against Chelsea or United.

And despite their previous bad behaviour in April, there are no additional punishments for repeat offenders in the same year — only the same season.

This is the same FA which took no action against United boss Alex Ferguson last week for accusing referees' chief Keith Hackett of being biased in favour of Chelsea after Terry's red card at City was rescinded.

The same FA which ‘punishes' refereeing blunders by sending the official on a weekend away in the Coca-Cola League.

Over the years the FA have been a mine of great ideas that never worked out.

The School of Excellence at Lilleshall. The National Football Centre at Burton. Even Wembley.

And unless the FA show a hell of a lot more courage backing up the latest one, then the ‘Respect' campaign will be buried with all the other white elephants.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1721271.ece

·
Registered
550 Posts
They should scrap the campaign and spend the money on training refs. Also allow refs to call for TV replays. Then respect wouldn't be an issue.

Why should anyone respect useless refs?

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
TBH, the whole thing is a joke.

I know the principle of it all, but when your "in the heat of battle" and you need
to score or whatever, a crap decision IS going to trigger something, which is a
human reaction. Its going to happen and because ref's are only human, they
WILL make mistakes from time to time, some more so then others. For me it all
points toward video technology, perhaps the idea that tennis have too, where
each manager has three challenges during a game, and captains can converse
whether to go for it.

A brilliant example of this so called, "RESPECT" campaign is last week at Stoke,
when Everton were clearly denied a blatant penalty after a handball. Moyes had
every right to be *****d off with the decision, and fair balls to him after when he
said that he would apologise to the ref is he was wrong, I wonder if the ref
apologised to him?

Now, for me last Sunday, Ferdinand is very lucky not to have been booked for his
outburst at Riley, and Rooney treads the line at times too, but their passionate
for the win! Why doesn't the ref just let them hammer on, he won't change the
decision, unless its at Stoke, and turn a blind eye or deaf ear to it in this case and
forget it. Obviously, if something racial, abusive etc...is said then action should be
taken but rightly so in that case. I know its a horrible thing to see on the screens,
players effing and blinding at the refs, but in all honesty, they're on the spur of
the moment things!

There's tackles out there that sometimes deserve red and nothing is given, so for
such an incident to be let go and a player on a yellow or whatever gets booked
for turning around, shouting "(Put your own desired word here) OFF
REF!"
seems a bit confusing, no?

The European game is almost more physical nowadays, because every little
stupid thing is being called up, Sunday for example.

These players were booked for us last Sunday, which were deserved?

Scholes - From what I remember, yes
Ferdinand - Ok
Neville - Could have easily been sent off
Berbatov - He was done for persistent fouling
Rooney - He is Wayne
Evra - Nope
Ronaldo - Most petty booking, I'll see all season.

So if the FA are to integrate this plan into our game then the right training has to
go to the refs. Something that they're clearly not getting right now. Parents also
hold responsibility, as them shouting at young refs on the sideline is horrible, and
youngsters see this and think that's its perfectly acceptable.

After the Community Shield, I had my doubts over this when John O'Shea was
booked for disagreeing with a refs decision, so if that's what our game has come
to, them I wouldn't be surprised if in years to come, they all had to wear
knee/elbow pads, and no talking allowed.

At the end of it all though.....they're a bunch of flipping clowns there at the FA!

·
Registered
734 Posts
well said keano agree with everything you said. "where
whether to go for it." this would be a decent idea aswell i think, it wouldnt slow the play down that much as theres usually 2 or 3 minutes wasted after big decisions not going your teams way anyway.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yeah I agree and the Ronaldo one, i full agree with you there i mean why the hell did he book him ? No wonder FA didn't fine United for the cards half of them were complete rubbish!!

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
ManUtd19 said:
They should scrap the campaign and spend the money on training refs. Also allow refs to call for TV replays. Then respect wouldn't be an issue.

absolutely agree.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
tv replay to a certain extent shld be welcomed by refs, to save them from further embarassment of ridiculous decision(we all know what incident is it)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
ManUtd19 said:

agree there.... riley was a joke...he'd clearly been given instructions to clamp down on eveything from the start...thats over the top in the first place as every little thing was gettin the whistle...add that to catalogue of mistakes or " eyesight malfunctions" that he suffered from and it ruined the flow of the game totally and made a hard fought game look like some kind of battle of britain-which it wasnt

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
respect brings respect.the decisions,made by iffy refs causes players to argue their point.and then the little fella in black waves his yellow card.refs should try practising what they preach.try a bit of respect to the players.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Absolutely agree with Keano!

But the fact is, when refs don't talk to players, continually disrupt the flow of the game for pettied little incidents, book players for nothing, aren't consistent and make stupid errors on something that was so obvious, why do the refs deserve respect?

Sure, some refs make mistakes that are genuine. But some decisions are so obvious, and some decisions are so disgraceful.

Referee's don't get respect because they don't respect the players imho.

The only referee who I can think of that deserves respect is Howard Webb. He definitely deserves respect, because hes the top ref in England, Britain probably. There may be other decent refs, but hes the stand-out and the only one I can think of who deserves any form of respect.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Well said ManUtd19
I normally have respect for Riley but the Chelski game, he had a shocker !

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Keano! said:
TBH, the whole thing is a joke.

I know the principle of it all, but when your "in the heat of battle" and you need
to score or whatever, a crap decision IS going to trigger something, which is a
human reaction. Its going to happen and because ref's are only human, they
WILL make mistakes from time to time, some more so then others. For me it all
points toward video technology, perhaps the idea that tennis have too, where
whether to go for it.

There's tackles out there that sometimes deserve red and nothing is given, so for
such an incident to be let go and a player on a yellow or whatever gets booked
for turning around, shouting "(Put your own desired word here) OFF
REF!"
seems a bit confusing, no?

The European game is almost more physical nowadays, because every little
stupid thing is being called up, Sunday for example.

These players were booked for us last Sunday, which were deserved?

Scholes - From what I remember, yes
Ferdinand - Ok
Neville - Could have easily been sent off
Berbatov - He was done for persistent fouling
Rooney - He is Wayne
Evra - Nope
Ronaldo - Most petty booking, I'll see all season.

So if the FA are to integrate this plan into our game then the right training has to
go to the refs.Something that they're clearly not getting right now.

At the end of it all though.....they're a bunch of flipping clowns there at the FA!
I used to say this all the time = the FA have to hold conference calls with their referees and discuss decision-making and calibration.

Nowadays you can hold cheap multi-user conferences over the net. All the refs across the country log in and then the host can share his desktop and play videos of the weekend's games to discuss which were good and bad decisions or at least come to some kind of consensus of what kind of tackle merits what kind of punishment.

If course I except the the ref must be allowed to referee the game according to his judgment. For example if Paul Scholes is making plenty of little niggling tackles that don't really merit a yellow, but the ref can see he;s building up a head of steam then the ref should be right to give him a card. At the same time if another player might not be booked for the same offense.

But what really gets me worked up is if a foul is deemed to be red card offence in one match and the same ref doesn't give a red for under the same circumstance in another match. To me red card offenses must be consistent.
And yes, video technology has its place in football, especially goal-line technology or penalty decisions.

FIFA argue it would take away from the flow of the game, but it's a lame argument, cos games get interrupted all the time already.

I think it's rather that FIFA know that bad refereeing errors are talking points and some would say deflect from the problems at FIFA.

But they can't have bad judgment calls and then punish the players for getting worked up about it.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Another 2 examples today of why the most refs deserve little respect.

Mike Riley, not content on spoiling the game last week, and booking every Man Utd player in sight while giving Chelsea hardly any yellows, had another awful game, was largely inconsisten and gave most things Liverpools way.

Then we've got Rob Styles, who made perhaps the worst penalty decision of the season in our game.

Respect? Pfft

1 - 20 of 20 Posts