Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
City plea to fans: Respect Munich dead

Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson has begged supporters not to
sully the club's name when they travel to Old Trafford for the Barclays Premier
League game against Manchester United that follows next month's 50th
anniversary of the Munich air disaster.

As both clubs gear up for what is set to be one of the most emotional afternoons
of the season, City have followed their neighbours' lead by revealing that they
will wear a specially commissioned strip for the game — without sponsorship
logos.

Eriksson and City's club captain, Richard Dunne, have put their names to a letter
that will be sent out to the 3,000 City fans who are receiving tickets for the game
on February 10.

Coming just four days after the anniversary of the tragedy, there are fears within
both clubs that a minority of City fans may disrupt the minute's silence before the
1.30pm Sunday kick-off.

Former City goalkeeper Frank Swift — by then a newspaper journalist — died in
the crash and the letter reads: "Prior to this game, the 50th Anniversary of the
Munich air disaster will be marked with a special commemoration.

"Many supporters will already be aware that Manchester City lost one of our own
in the tragedy, goalkeeper Frank Swift.

"Twenty-two players, staff and journalists also lost their lives.

"We ask that all supporters uphold the good name of Manchester City and
respectfully support the commemorations which will also be attended by friends
and family of the victims including Frank Swift's family."

United's players will wear a special 1950s kit for the game that will not carry
names, squad numbers or sponsors' logos.

City will also wear a strip devoid of branding. It will have names and squad
numbers but will also have a black ribbon incorporated in to the design. Neither
kit will be reproduced for public sale.

Captain Gary Neville scored a spectacular goal on his comeback after injury for
United reserves last night. Neville, who has been out for nine months, played 45
minutes against Everton.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Really nice gesture from their part in wanting to wear the retro shirt as well...This will definitely be one emotional night for both parties...Im sure as much as most of them will probably obey, there will definitely be a few lot of them who will be a spoilsport. Well if they are inhuman enough to make fun of it, be it..just let us remind them that Frank Swift was one of the victims on that faithful night. How do they want to laugh & make fun of someone of their own??

·
Banned
836 Posts
City fans are unpredictable, they might start making plane or plane crash noises during the match, lacking any respect for the victims. I wouldn't put it past City fans to ruin the atmosphere.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Trouble is, there will be a few that wont respect it, and i'm expecting nothing more and if they don't respect it, town will be like a warzone it will kick off royal

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would ask people to err on the side of caution when
making posts on this thread !!

Let's stick to facts and well thought out ideas etc etc

Why.......?

Because this game is a celebration for Manchester to remember those that died !!

I would imagine Manchester City fans will have respect for the dead.

Unless someone PROVES anything to the contrary then I will give them the
benefit of the doubt.

They lost someone too let's not forget !!

Frank Swift.....

All it takes is for one errant remark.....

Which a City fan sees on here.....

He then tells his 'City Forum'.....

And before you know it this silly comment could be the very thing to start all the
disrespect !!!

I wouldn't like that to happen to us....

So as I say before.....

Think carefully before you post here.....

For this one day at least.....

Manchester United....

And Manchester City......

Should act as a single unit.....

The City of Manchester......

And remember those that died !!

·
Registered
273 Posts
carly no disrepect but your not from manchester you dont understand what there like some will respect it but there will be people that wont id put £100 on city fans not being quite

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well as far as that goes my proof is that we are constantly referred to as Munichs / rags by City fans, the last time i saw them giving the munich airplane jibe was at their ground this season, so there will be at least one tool, and if you think what we're saying will get back to citys forum you should see what has been posted on the fanzine forums which they do look at, and then have a think if u reckon whats posted on this forum will stop/make city fans from chanting munich or airplaning.

Its all the FA's fault, the should never have allowed this game to be the one that falls closest to munich.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
If they don't show respect, Man Utd will just have to give them a footballing lesson on the pitch. They'll hopefully do that, regardless of if they show respect or not. Its about time we put the lesser Manchester in their place.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I reckon most of the City fans will be good, it'll only be a few that won't show the respect they should. But sadly, it'll be those few who make the headlines, not the other 2500+ that did what was asked for them.

I was at the Manchester derby like 5 or 6 years agho and this game was in febuary and before the game the stadium was playing that Munich song about the players that died, and some City fans wrecked it by trying to sing over it :(

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
J_Stand said:
Well as far as that goes my proof is that we are constantly referred to as Munichs / rags by City fans, the last time i saw them giving the munich airplane jibe was at their ground this season, so there will be at least one tool, and if you think what we're saying will get back to citys forum you should see what has been posted on the fanzine forums which they do look at, and then have a think if u reckon whats posted on this forum will stop/make city fans from chanting munich or airplaning.

Its all the FA's fault, the should never have allowed this game to be the one that falls closest to munich.
Well whatever.....

I just ask that we, as Manchester United fans, act in a dignified way and dont resort to any of the things I hear about.

There is a time and a place for all this childish rubbish and for the 50th anniversary of Munich - I dont think it is either.....;)

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Justice said:
One of there's died aswell, I think they'll respect it. Be a total ****ing disgrace if they dont.
Frank Swift.....
Former City goalkeeper.....

He was working for Manchester Evening News at the time and he died......

So this is why I think it will be OK.......

They make any problems they are mocking their own dead too.....

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
red_dec7 said:
carly no disrepect but your not from manchester you dont understand what there like some will respect it but there will be people that wont id put £100 on city fans not being quite

I am not from Manchester but I'd do exactly the same!

S

·
0 Posts
Anderson's God said:
[/B]

I am not from Manchester but I'd do exactly the same!
100% correct. There been messages on their forums for months now with bitter blue twats giving it big style. There's people on other United forums been checking bitter sites every day and posting links etc for all reds to see.

I really do hope that there's a bit of respect that day but there's always some who want otherwise.

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I only said what I said because to be honest....

I find it hard to comprehend how any human being can put football before the
lives of fellow human beings !!

For me this is just too weird !!

In my country we have 3 big teams in one city.....

Steaua Bucuresti....

Dinamo Bucuresti.....

Rapid Bucuresti.....

And they have fights from time to time.....

They have bad feelings to each other and have done for soooo many years.

But when something bad happens.....

Or something sacred needs to be remembered or celebrated....

They are ALL ROMANIANS first and foremost !!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
will they wont they, who knows, although die hard rivals id like to think both clubs can now respect each other, city no longer have any inferiority complexs

cant wait to see the kits, no numbers though!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts