Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am of the opinion, that older players like Scholes, Giggs etc, need resting, as they are getting on. Training a couple of times a week plus a couple of games must get tiresome.

But, what do you feel about the younger players being rested? Lets say one or two big names are put on the bench tonight and not used, with the weekend in mind. Is that really necessary?

Look at Ronaldo for example, fit as a butchers dog, in peak physical condition. Probably hits the gym every day. Does a player like Ronaldo really benefit from not spending 90minutes on the pitch, or is it the risk of injury the boss is looking to cut out?

This has always played on my mind and i hate it when, what i believe are risks taken, in resting talented players, just to see us through to another game.

I'm just as worried about Wigan tonight as i am about Arsenal at the weekend. On that note, any team news on tonight?

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
I think all players need a break at some point during the season. At United, we have so many big important games we need a massive squad and rotation is a must. No squad of 11-15 players could hack the pace all year long.

However, at this time of the year, we shouldn't be concerned about resting players anymore. We should be going into every game like it's a cup final. A must win. The summer is on the horizon. Players can rest then.

I think we really should go full strength tonight. Wrap up the points and then win the title at the weekend. They we can rest people for the CL final in the game against Hull.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good points mate.

The motivation and the drive should be there now and we should be going all out. Only a few games left now and if we had a game a day for the next week i'd like to think the boys would be up for every single one. These games are so important now.

Really looking forward to this tonight.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
one thing happened to me on a national championship ( waterpolo) while i was very young and i couldn't understand it at that time

i trained every day , on some occasions twice a day and our entire team was as fit as you say " a buthcer's dogs"( we are proud for producing the finest talents in the world in that sport - lol we're like athletic bilbao - only every year we get to the CL final )

but as the championship begun i couldn't swimm like 100 meters without having "oxygen bottles on my back" - i was exhausted after 2 minutes of the play - hell i was exhausted after the warm up

and only years later i found out that i had overtrained and i created milk acid in my muscles

sometimes players think they can play but there is a little thing called acumulated fatigue - for example ronaldo wasn't taken off because he had no strenght to finish the city match - he was taken off in order to help him being fit and fresh for Wigan,Arsenal and Barca for example - it sometimes had to do with the prevention rather than the tiredness in that particular moment

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
sometimes players think they can play but there is a little thing called acumulated fatigue - for example ronaldo wasn't taken off because he had no strenght to finish the city match - he was taken off in order to help him being fit and fresh for Wigan,Arsenal and Barca for example - it sometimes had to do with the prevention rather than the tiredness in that particular moment
I don't think anyone is disputing that mate. I don't think any of us actually thought Ronaldo was tired at that moment. We realise that it was prevention rather than a cure.

Still though, these are professional athletes. They are looked after by the best physios in the world. They've been playing sport all their life. I'm sure the people around Manchester United and SAF recognises when a player needs to be rested.

However, I think it should be used sparingly given we all our games left are huge. Starting tonight. All are must win.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Yeah, i understand what you are saying CROoney.

Would cutting his excercise by 30minutes, 3 days before the next game have helped us out that much?
look at it this way - imagine if he played 60 minutes against city AND for example 45 minutes against Wigan

- that's 105 minutes - and that's way more than playing 180 minutes before arsenal match...

3 days is not that much considering that the fatigue is the most accumulated in the 2nd day -

i'm sure that saf keeps tracks of minutes played for most of his players - and he thought ronaldo was unnecessary gamble as the match had already been finished -why risk anything

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
I don't think anyone is disputing that mate. I don't think any of us actually thought Ronaldo was tired at that moment. We realise that it was prevention rather than a cure.

Still though, these are professional athletes. They are looked after by the best physios in the world. They've been playing sport all their life. I'm sure the people around Manchester United and SAF recognises when a player needs to be rested.

However, I think it should be used sparingly given we all our games left are huge. Starting tonight. All are must win.
yeah - thats' why i don't doubt in his decision to take him off

:specool:

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I think all players need a break at some point during the season. At United, we have so many big important games we need a massive squad and rotation is a must. No squad of 11-15 players could hack the pace all year long.

However, at this time of the year, we shouldn't be concerned about resting players anymore. We should be going into every game like it's a cup final. A must win. The summer is on the horizon. Players can rest then.

I think we really should go full strength tonight. Wrap up the points and then win the title at the weekend. They we can rest people for the CL final in the game against Hull.
Yeah I completely agree that no squad of 11-15 players could hack playing at PL pace every week.
Look at Martin O'Neill with Aston Villa, he tried this and it didn't work out in the end.

The reason the "top 4" are always at the top come the end of the season is because of the strength of their squads. We have a fantastic squad at the moment and have players fighting for every position. In the end of it all it's the strength of your squad that wins you competitions.

Again I agree that I don't think we should be concerned about resting players now. We have 4 games left, that's it. Surely all of our players are capable of that now. Like the OP said, Ronaldo and Rooney are well able to play 2 games in a week, but it's more of a precaution on Fergie's part.

I think tonight we should start our strongest 11 too. Hopefully get the 3 points and then Win the League against Arsenal. Then we can rest players against Hull if needs be for Rome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.