Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should he play against Newcastle tomorrow night, Rio will have racked up 300 games for United.
After his wage demands, missed drugs test and lengthy ban he got off to a bad start at OT.
For a while there United fans were booing him. He has stuck with it though to become one
of the best defenders in the World. He also lifted the Champions league with Giggsy last season
as well as being half of the worlds best defensive partnership with Vidic.

In my eyes he will definitely go on to become a United legend.

How do you think he will be regarded when he finishes playing for United?

Fantastic player for United or legend?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fantastic player for United.

Not a legend though. Too much of a twat for that status.
But what if he goes on to make say 500 apps. lifting trophy after trophy on the way?

Thats my point. Someone who plays so many games, captains the side and lifts heaps of trophies should surely be considered a legend? even if he is a bit of a twat.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Fantastic player.

Legend? When we payed he wages for him to do nothing for 8 months, because he was stupid enough to miss a drugs test; and then to come back and demand an even more lucrative contract and hold secret talks with Chelsea - he's no legend for me, but nevertheless a wonderful footballer and a good leader of men.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I don't think he will go down as legend especially due to the emergence of Vidic. Maybe not fair, but I don't think he would even be thought of as highly without Vidic. He will go down in our lore and history. He will be remembered for leading us out to a glorious night in Russia, but most people think of Ronnie's 42 impact that season more than Rio and Vidic at the back.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It is still too early to call him a legend or to say that he is not. Let's wait till the end of his career at United and to decide after that.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I don't see how people can say Rio can't be a legend because of his personality, when the same people will probably say that Keane was a legend.

Of course Keane was far more influential, but he wasn't exactly the nicest person around was he?

Rio can be a legend IMO. If he can captain another CL victory, which islikely to happen at some point, then he will be our most successful captain in Europe everm which makes him a legend IMO.

World class player. Possible future legend.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think this is his 7th season at Old Trafford, and he's matured each year. He was well deserving of his 'Wobbly Gobbed Tosser' moniker at the time but these last 3 seasons he's been immense for us, and Vidic's progression has to be at least in part down to Ferdinand's influence alongside him.

He's a long way to go before he reaches Legend status, but I think it's time to stop treating him like the empty headed numpty who missed the drug test and concede that he's without equal in his position certainly at any other English club?

Z

·
0 Posts
Fantastic player for United.

Not a legend though. Too much of a twat for that status.

I agree with this. Quality player but a bit of a tosser.
I concur wholeheartedly. :thumbsup:
Have none of you ever heard of Roy Keane? :wacko:

Fantastic player.

Legend? When we payed he wages for him to do nothing for 8 months, because he was stupid enough to miss a drugs test; and then to come back and demand an even more lucrative contract and hold secret talks with Chelsea - he's no legend for me, but nevertheless a wonderful footballer and a good leader of men.
What are these secret talks? How can they be secret if you know about them?

Z

·
0 Posts
I think this is his 7th season at Old Trafford, and he's matured each year. He was well deserving of his 'Wobbly Gobbed Tosser' moniker at the time but these last 3 seasons he's been immense for us, and Vidic's progression has to be at least in part down to Ferdinand's influence alongside him.

He's a long way to go before he reaches Legend status, but I think it's time to stop treating him like the empty headed numpty who missed the drug test and concede that he's without equal in his position
certainly at any other English club?
I couldn't agree more.

Z

·
0 Posts
Keane was on 15k when he demanded more money. Rio was on 100k and demanded more, else he'd walk. Greed makes me sad.

That's why I think Rio is a tosser.
Keane had a clause in his contract that stated he had to be the best paid player at the club.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
i have nothing bad to say about ferdinhand tbh in thiis day and age money controls the game witch is sad but not going to hold it agasint him for most people in the world its money that makes the world go round!

i think he can be a ledgend if he stays at the club and wins tropihes seaon in season out and maintains the form hes been playing at the past 3 seasons

1 - 20 of 96 Posts