Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sportinglife

FERGUSON: RIO WILL SKIPPER UNITED

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Rio Ferdinand will be captain of Manchester United one day.

Ferdinand missed out on the England captaincy this week when Fabio Capello plumped for John Terry in the battle of the defenders.

Even though the decision came as a surprise to most observers - and the bookmakers, who made the United man favourite to land the role - Ferguson cannot believe there was much in it.

In the end, he felt Terry's long-term experience as a captain at Chelsea, compared to Ferdinand's position as United's number three behind Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs was the decisive factor.

And while there is no immediate end in sight to that situation, Ferguson has assured the Londoner he will eventually get the job on a full-time basis.

"John Terry has been captain of Chelsea for quite a while. That must have been an advantage," said Ferguson.

"The difference here is that I operate my captains on seniority.

"In the long-term Rio will be captain of Manchester United, there is no question about that. It is a position we are very comfortable with that.

"His leadership qualities have improved tremendously over the last couple of years and his ability is there for all to see."

Although Ferdinand performed no better or worse than any of his underperforming England team-mates at Wembley on Wednesday night, there is a fear the 29-year-old will suffer a hangover from his disappointment.

The Peckham-born star has never made any secret of his desire to lead his country at some point in his career and given Terry is two years younger, there must now be a good chance he will never lead his country permanently.

But Ferguson does not believe Ferdinand should dwell on the setback.

"I don't think anyone was actually nailed on for it," said the United boss.

"It was always a flip of the coin between Rio or John Terry.

"At Rio's age I don't think we need to worry about the effect of what happened.

"He has proved himself a great centre-back.

"But it was the manager's choice and he has chosen John Terry, Rio just has to get on with it. It is as simple as that."

Ferdinand will be part of an injury-ravaged United side who tackle Portsmouth at Fratton Park on Monday, looking for a victory following last week's dismal home draw with Newcastle.....

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/08/22/SOCCER_Man_Utd_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=soccer

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
He sure will. After Giggs and Nev have gone (which will be before Rio)
he is the natural successor to the throne. He even got some practice last
season helping Giggsy lift the Champions League trophy. Im gutted for him
that he wont captain England but he wont lose any focus because of it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
abojodeh said:
he totally deserves it
but he should retire from england tho
do you think so?
he is still only 30 another year or 2 maybe then retire from international
not now, still has a lot to offer for england imo

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Scholesy retired about at the same age
and he is the best defender in his country and in the world
but hes not getting the well deserved badge
so he should leave the English crappy team
plus he will win nothing with england

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Good peice of man management by Fergie here. Rio will definately be gutted about missing out on being captain but now Fergie has said this it will cheer him up a bit, even if it was obvious before hand.

If it was up to me he'd be captain now though as he plays every game unlike Gazz and Giggs. He also seems kind of like the leader of the 'new school' if you get what I mean.

In a way it could be a belssing he wasn't England skipper. Our players have always got the heaviest critisism from the English media (Rio, Brown, Becks, Rooney, P.Neville ect) so him being captain would only add to that.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
TheManc said:
Good peice of man management by Fergie here. Rio will definately be gutted about missing out on being captain but now Fergie has said this it will cheer him up a bit, even if it was obvious before hand.

If it was up to me he'd be captain now though as he plays every game unlike Gazz and Giggs. He also seems kind of like the leader of the 'new school' if you get what I mean.

In a way it could be a belssing he wasn't England skipper. Our players have always got the heaviest critisism from the English media (Rio, Brown, Becks, Rooney, P.Neville ect) so him being captain would only add to that.
You make fair points there. Good post.

I actually think that it may be better Ferdinand being full-time captain instead of having to pass the armband around. But even if he isn't official captain, he will always be a captain of the team.

I also think Hargreaves would make a fantastic captain one day, but he's got no chance of being captain in all honesty. He maybe has a small chance of being vice-captain though for when we need him when the time comes that Rio is made captain.

The great thing about the squad is that we have many players who have great leadership and would do a great job representing us and being our captain.

·
Registered
590 Posts
He was always likely to be the sucessor to Gary and Giggsy.

I think Rio is now a red at heart. When he first came he got stick from certain people, myself included sometimes, but since then he has come on in leaps and bounds. When Fergie signed him he said Rio will 'mature into the best centre half in Europe' and I think he's right. Rio has matured from the days of his missed drugs test and his alleged 'meeting' with Kenyon.

Had Rio not had his problems with him re-signing his contract then he may well have been named as sucessor to Roy Keane for the armband. Fenerbache at home in the Champions League (Rooney's debut) and Arsenal at home (ending their unbeaten run) are two games that spring to mind where Rio skippered the side in the absense of Roy Keane, despite the fact that Gary Nev and Giggsy were in the team.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
jd_united said:
He was always likely to be the sucessor to Gary and Giggsy.

I think Rio is now a red at heart. When he first came he got stick from certain people, myself included sometimes, but since then he has come on in leaps and bounds. When Fergie signed him he said Rio will 'mature into the best centre half in Europe' and I think he's right. Rio has matured from the days of his missed drugs test and his alleged 'meeting' with Kenyon.

Had Rio not had his problems with him re-signing his contract then he may well have been named as sucessor to Roy Keane for the armband. Fenerbache at home in the Champions League (Rooney's debut) and Arsenal at home (ending their unbeaten run) are two games that spring to mind where Rio skippered the side in the absense of Roy Keane, despite the fact that Gary Nev and Giggsy were in the team.
I would absolutely agree.

I wasn't a big fan of Rio when he first came. His concentration levels were quite poor, he made a lot of mistakes and he ball-watched a lot.

But in the last 2 years hes improved these aspects greatly and hes a fantastic, all-round defender.

The added responsibilty of the captains armband has certainly done him no harm either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts