Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sir Alex Ferguson has just declared that after Neville and Giggs` retirement, Rio Ferdinand will earn the armband on a permanent basis.

Do you think this will be the right choice? Are there any better contenders for it?
What about his character and all, has he got the right qualities for it? , and what do you think of his previous numerous performances captaining the team?

Feel free to merge this thread.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Top Player, Top Leader..!

I thought it was funny seeing Rio sitting with Ian dowie at the game, what was that about?

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
He has demonstrated that he is an able leader in the last two seasons. I don't see a better candidate than him for the arm band.

The only thing that stands against him is his age. He will be 31 next season and hence is a short term fix.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts

He has captained us to CL glory already. He is more than capable and he leads by example.
Its great cos we have a lot of leaders in the team (Vidic, Rooney, Evans, Hargreaves) but Rio will rightly be the captain.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Fergie is spot on.
He`s got all the right qualities - He`s very vocal, one of the best qualities a captain can have. As Jazz said, he already led us to glory and with this, you can never go wrong. There are many other good leaders in the team - Rooney, Vidic, Evra and so on, but i won`t call them contenders. I`m nearly sure, after Rio`s reign, Rooney will step up for the armband. But well, let`s not go too far ;) Rio has turned from a waster to a world`s class defender. I think he needs a recognition for this, as he lived the reality and has given a good example. The chance of finding good, exemplary players will be very minimal nowadays (Ole, n Scholes 4example) and so, Rio is someone young players should watch - he`s a leader, a good man off the pitch, consistent, his team mates loves him, a rebel at times .. Perfect.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Its great news rio is ideal for the captaincy he's a natural leader always telling other players who to mark when they aren't doing there job properly :thumbsup:

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Rooney will have it in about 5 years when Rio leaves. Rooney is captain material.

It was known knowledge Rio would be getting it for a long time though, and to behonest, there isn't really anyone else (Rooney's still too young and "hotheaded" for it yet).

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
Top Player, Top Leader..!

I thought it was funny seeing Rio sitting with Ian dowie at the game, what was that about?
Old team mates from west ham having a catch up most likely.
plus toon army have villa on the last day of the season so a bit of homeowrk was being done.

As for RIO..who else would captain us. He's brilliant role model to even the youngsters at our club, the things hes been through.Known as a bit of a party boy when younger, he has completely changed his career around and duly deserves to captain the reds to more glory.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rio is the best choice for captain and I think it would be better if he had it now. He is the leader on the park, even if Neville and Giggs play and its obvious to see. After looking a bit ropey early on in his career, as said above, he has really turned things around and looks mature and level headed. He is also friends with the team but also is not scared to give them a bollocking when needed and for me, that exactly what is needed from a captain.

Im not too worried about his age. He'll be about for a good few years left. Vidic for vice captain as well.

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
I would have given it to Rooney, the guy is a legend in the making and i think it would calm his aggression down...

But Rio is as good a choice as any, had Vida been English i would have preffered him though...

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Rio is the natural choice for it. He is a leader on the pitch and I imagine he's a leader in the dressing room. Rooney isn't quite ready yet, but I'm sure he'll take over from Rio one day.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Rooney will have it in about 5 years when Rio leaves. Rooney is captain material.

It was known knowledge Rio would be getting it for a long time though, and to behonest, there isn't really anyone else (Rooney's still too young and "hotheaded" for it yet).

Spot on.

It's not exactly surprising news, but I'm sure it will give Rio the public backing he should be getting as the current proxy-captain.

I have a 'Who should wear the captain's armband' thread floating around somewhere and have always believed Rio should be captain, but I do wished he took more responsibilities for muck-ups.

Sometimes it's his fault and he's s screaming at his team mates, which just isn't right.

Agree about Rooney too and think, if Hargo gets back to fitness he should be vice-captain next season.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts