Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RIO FERDINAND has revealed the faith everyone at Manchester United had in Alex Ferguson to make the club champions again.

United went three barren seasons without the title up to last May.

The fear was Arsenal and Chelsea were taking over at the top.

But Ferguson was simply recreating his team. And the proof of his success came with last season's ninth Premier League crown.
£500,000 DREAM TEAM

Ferdinand, 29, said: “The team we had when I first came here in 2002 was on a downward slope in terms of age. The manager knew he had to do some reshuffling — and has done it admirably.

“To be part of it during the transition was difficult.

“We still wanted to be winning games but were drawing and losing too many. We weren't contenders any more.

“Yet the manager trusted his judgment, as did his management team and the board. He always had faith in what he was doing and we stuck by him.

“Last year we showed what he was working towards. We had a great resilience and showed how the team has grown.â€

England centre-back Ferdinand says the best example of Ferguson's work with the United team has come with the emergence of Cristiano Ronaldo as one of the greatest players in the world.

He added: “You just have to look at Cristiano Ronaldo and see what he was when he first came and the player he is now. That is down to the manager, who has guided him through some difficult times.â€

Ferguson, 65, has revealed on the club's tour of Asia that, while he stays fit and healthy, he will remain at the helm at Old Trafford. For Ferdinand that is just as well.

He declared: “I cannot imagine life at Manchester United without Sir Alex.

“He brought me here and I just hope he does not retire while I'm still about.

“He still has a great passion, desire and pride, is the lifeline of the club and has been since he arrived.

“I cannot think what the club would be without him.â€

Ferdinand insists the desire for glory is as strong as ever at United. And he believes the boss, as ever, has done his studies on the new signings to ensure they are the right players for them.

He said: “When the manager buys a player, he does a lot of homework.

“How they are as people means as much to him as how they are as players.

“You look around our dressing room and you are surrounded by strong personalities — strong enough to know they cannot rest on their laurels.â€

Ferguson has added Nani, Anderson and Owen Hargreaves to his squad this year, with Carlos Tevez also likely to be on his way soon.

Ferdinand admitted: “I can't wait to see what they can produce.

“I have been speaking to my brother Anton at West Ham about Tevez. He has told me he will bring a lot of quality to the side.â€

Ferdinand, like the rest of the United players, has been mobbed everywhere he has gone on the Asian tour so far — just like when he visited Uganda in the post-season to open a football school.

He said: “I arrived and expected one photographer and a couple of people wanting autographs. But it was pandemonium, crazy.

“When you become a United player, you realise you can go to any continent in the world and be recognised.â€

United take on FC Seoul in their second tour game today.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007330477,00.html
-----

:cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts