Manchester United Talk banner

Rio Is Doubtful

2K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  AidanNelson2009 
#1 ·
Rio Is Doubtful to Play Vs Inter| Goal.com

Manchester United centre half Rio Ferdinand picked up an injury tonight in the 4-0 drubbing of Fulham at Craven Cottage. The stalwart defender was substituted at half-time due to an ankle knock he picked up midway through the first half.

The injury casts a shadow of doubt over whether the England international will be available for selection when United face Inter this week in the Champions League.

Ahead of the second leg of their European clash in Milan, Sir Alex Ferguson said, "Ferdinand is a bit of a concern.

"He went over on his ankle and I hope he is alright for Wednesday because he is so important to us."

G
#5 ·
This is the first season in years that I've not been worried when one of our centre halves has been injured/unfit.

I felt reasonably comfortable when Pique played, but with Evans it's like there's no difference because he's formed a brilliant partnership with Vidic.

#6 ·
This is the first time in years that I've not been worries when one of our centre halves has been injured/unfit.

I felt reasonably comfortable when Pique played, but with Evans it's like there's no difference because he's formed a brilliant partnership with Vidic.
my thoughts exactly :thumbsup: besstrenght in depth in all areas weve had in years and years...possibly the best ever :)

#16 ·
Cheers Canto, i just think Fergie knows he has to pull off some major mind game with Morinho, and just talking wont work, and we all know how good an actor Ferdy is, remember his show where he 'Merked' his mates, it was Beadles about, just without the fat hand and beard
no problem lad :)got any questions or need any help just ask :cool: ya i get ya but i don't see it happening tbh it was straight away after Andy Johnson block so don't see how it could have been arranged yano?

#18 ·
Sir Alex Ferguson is hoping Rio Ferdinand will be fit for Manchester United's UEFA Champions League clash with Inter Milan.

Ferdinand hurt his ankle during the first half of United's FA Cup victory at Fulham on Saturday and was replaced by Jonny Evans at half-time.

The centre-half left Craven Cottage wearing a protective boot and United boss Ferguson is fretting over his stand-in captain's fitness.

If Ferdinand fails to shake off the knock, then Evans will partner Nemanja Vidic in defence for the second leg of the last 16 tie at Old Trafford.
Important player

"Rio's a bit of a concern," Ferguson told MUTV. "He's gone over on his ankle and we just have to wait and see how he is now.

"I just hope he makes Wednesday because he's such an important player to us."

Wayne Rooney was another player to be replaced during the 4-0 thrashing of Fulham, with Ferguson not wanting to take any risks with his fitness following the striker's recent return from injury.

He added: "We need Wayne for Wednesday against Inter Milan."

John O'Shea was taken off in the second half of the quarter-final FA Cup tie as well and the versatile defender appeared to be nursing a hamstring problem.

If O'Shea is unable to overcome the injury, then Darren Fletcher may be pressed into action at right-back against Inter, with Gary Neville, Wes Brown and Rafael da Silva all injured.

Sky Sports | Football | News | Fergie frets over Rio fitness

#20 ·
i dont get everybody thinks ' oh thats mind games"
mind games are so overrated. i mean seriously, when u are on the pitch and the game starts only the value matters.
a simple statement before the game cant change anything. mourinho's task doesent change. rio or evans.....same stuff.
just as mourinho saying " he can be the next united manager" wont affect fergie or any of the players.

#21 ·
Does it metter if Rio is injured. Evans has became one of the best CB in Premiership. I know this is very optimistic taught but Evans and Vidic have great partnership and Evans looks more confident when he plays with Vidic. I am avare that Rio is better then Evans because of his expirience, but Evans don`t look scared at all against big teams. He has great tackle and he is good in the air. Only thing that he is missing is strenght in duels. But there is Vida to murder and help him. I am not worried at all. Rooney and Berba is going to score so I can`t wait to start the game.

#24 ·
i dont get everybody thinks ' oh thats mind games"
mind games are so overrated. i mean seriously, when u are on the pitch and the game starts only the value matters.
a simple statement before the game cant change anything. mourinho's task doesent change. rio or evans.....same stuff.
just as mourinho saying " he can be the next united manager" wont affect fergie or any of the players.
:thumbsup: Thats a good one...

I have the same thoughts tbh...and i still think rio will start game but if its down to evans, atleast he has the experience playing in the first leg so there's nothing much to worry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.