Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rio ferdinand has today spoken of the need for football authorities to get tough with countries whose fans racially or homophobically abuse players consistantly .

He insists the only way to get them to stop is to start docking them points as the fines have no effect

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
He's right, point deduction is the only way to solve said problem. It worked in Spain for the most part.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Points deduction and/or stadiums being closed for so many games.

The fines are extremely pathetic and are a waste of time, and until a tougher stance is taken, it'll continue to happen.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
FIFA'a attitude towards racism is a disgrace.

They have their 'Kick racism out of football' campaigns and promise to come down hard on the FA's and clubs of offending fans but it's all bullplop.

The fines and punishments they hand out are absolutely pathetic and I applaud Rio for taking a stand and saying as much. I only hope others within football can find their voice, get together and actually do something to get FIFA to dish out more suitable punishments.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
What's stopping me and 50 of my mates getting tickets and purposely starting monkey chants so the opposition team gets docked points??
When is something racist and not racist??
I think this would be v difficult to manage... but not a bad Idea

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
eoininho said:
What's stopping me and 50 of my mates getting tickets and purposely starting monkey chants so the opposition team gets docked points??

Now thats a good point but it couldnt be harder to recognise from which side of the stadium the noises come from isnt it..surely it will take more than one person for it to be heared..In stating that, i suggest docking points too to these club who fans purposely do these chants to make the other team lose points. Only then will it work i think.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
eoininho said:
Banning you and your mates from football grounds Worldwide would be a good start. :D

Banning the national team from competing and all the club teams from European competition could be a strong deterrent.

The fines handed out must be substantial. The fine of £15k handed out to the Croatian FA was pitiful - add 2 more zeros on the end and then the FA's will start making a concerted effort to stamp it out.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yeah Ferdinand is right. Absolutely spot on. Racism is a disgrace and more so racist football fans. The fines on the clubs donot affect the fans that much and neither do they affect most of the clubs. It's only points ban that will make clubs aware of racism and then only will clubs get stricter with the racist fans.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts