Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RIO FERDINAND'S moment of madness at Stamford Bridge last season could cost him the England captaincy.

Ferdinand, 30, faces a possible four-game ban and £200,000 fine for kicking a female Chelsea steward after the Battle of the Bridge in April.

SunSport can reveal FA chiefs have requested photos and witness statements from Blues staff about the incident, when the Manchester United defender kicked tunnel steward Tracy Wray.

She needed hospital treatment for severe bruising to her left thigh and belatedly received some flowers from him by way of an apology.

Disciplinary chiefs are due to examine the evidence and the United star could miss the start of the season with a ban.

He faces being charged with gross misconduct and bringing the game into disrepute, while United could also face charges of failing to control their players.

The scandal may also count against his candidacy for the England skipper's job.

Just as damaging, he would be ruled out of the Wembley friendly with the Czech Republic on August 20.

That match will see Three Lions boss Fabio Capello name his captain for the World Cup qualifying campaign.

A domestic ban would exclude Ferdinand from being picked for the squad.

That would effectively dump him out of contention, even though he has led the team twice before.

Chelsea skipper John Terry and Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard would then go head-to-head to win the armband.

United's 2-1 defeat at Chelsea took the title race to the wire, though the Reds went on to retain their Premier League crown.

The FA are still investigating the aftermath of the match which saw six United players get in a fight with Chelsea ground staff during a warm-down.

SunSport understands the Blues have provided a substantial amount of evidence — including CCTV footage — to Soho Square.

And Ferdinand has actually admitted kicking Wray.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1417736.ece

·
Registered
550 Posts
This is stupid. I thought we'd established it was a mistake? Why the hell would Rio deliberately kick the Chelsea staff?

If she required hospital treatment then a car or something would have gone done a lot better than some flowers. Now Rio's got to track her down and seduce her so she doesn't start claiming he ran after her and smashed her down on purpose. :p

Maybe the camera footage will work in his favour...

S

·
0 Posts
ManUtd19 said:
This is stupid. I thought we'd established it was a mistake? Why the hell would Rio deliberately kick the Chelsea staff?
Ok lets not be so blinkered about things.

Who established that it was a mistake ???
Us REDS on a forum or us REDS chatting to mates ?
There's certainly been nothing official from any players
or Manchester United.

Cut out the crap in the article and lets see the facts only..

The Manchester United defender kicked tunnel steward Tracy Wray.

She needed hospital treatment for severe bruising to her left thigh.

Disciplinary chiefs are due to examine the evidence
The FA are still investigating.

The Blues have provided a substantial amount of evidence — including CCTV footage — to Soho Square.

The highlighted parts are what really matters.

As to the circumstances of how it happened, none of us know
nor is it right to speculate if it was an accident ( which it doesn't seem to be ) or if it was deliberate.

He has admitted kicking her and it could cost United if he's banned
for any games. Depending on which matches the ban would cover.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
And what punishment will Chelsea get for being racist towards Pat?

This is ridiculous and I'd be disapointed, if this were any more than paper talk.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Terrible incident that even I am unsure about

I almost want to believe Rio's side to the story but I also like to think that in most cases like this, the truth lies somewhere in between what both say.

I am not say 3 games is appropriate (too long) but 1 may not be that bad for the actions done AND the flowers sent ;)

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
none of us know
nor is it right to speculate if it was an accident ( which it doesn't seem to be ) or if it was deliberate.
what a stupid comment, why would ferdinand go up to a female steward and kick her... its blatently unintentional.

·
Registered
216 Posts
He has admitted kicking her ,to me that amounts to a ban..This is ridiculous and I'd be disapointed by his actions////

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Rio to escape censure over Bridge ruckus

Updated: July 14, 2008, 11:26 AM UK

Rio Ferdinand seems certain to escape any formal sanction over his part in last season's 'Battle of Stamford Bridge'.

Reports have emerged of a possible four-match ban for the Manchester United defender - which could rule him out of England's friendly with the Czech Republic on August 20 and scupper his chances of being appointed as Fabio Capello's new captain.

Given Ferdinand has already suffered the misery of serving an eight-month ban for a missed drugs test in 2004, it would be the worst kind of news possible for the 29-year-old Londoner and somewhat bizarre given it was United's complaints about the treatment of their players that led to the inquiry in the first place.

Ferdinand apologised after accidentally kicking a female steward in frustration following his side's defeat.

However, sources close to the investigation into events that took place at Chelsea immediately after the key showdown, which finished in acrimony as the home side won thanks to a hotly disputed late penalty, have been left bemused by the speculation surrounding Ferdinand.

For, while the official report is still being compiled, there has been no suggestion Ferdinand will face any penalty, let alone miss the opening four matches of the season.

And, although such a move would be bad news for United, who are already without Cristiano Ronaldo for an extended period following the winger's recent ankle operation, even in the unlikely event of Ferdinand being punished, it would not affect his availability for England.

It has been pointed out that Alan Smith, Lee Bowyer, Jonathan Woodgate and Ferdinand's major rival for the captaincy, John Terry, have been deliberately overlooked for selection by England in recent times.

However, in those instances, it was a policy decision taken by the FA until police or court action against the individuals concerned had been concluded.

Similarly, there is no link with Ferdinand's own lengthy ban because it covered all football, both for club and country.

It means that whatever the outcome of the FA's investigation Ferdinand will be available for the Czech Republic game, before which Capello intends to name his new skipper, having tried out four men for the post.

The FA meanwhile are continuing their own investigations into the Stamford Bridge clash, although as yet, no timescale for a definitive decision has been reached.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=555109&sec=england&cc=4716

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
This is a joke. If the FA goes through with this (most prob they will) they will be a bigger joke than Blatter's comments (they already are so that is why most prob they will).

It is always being biased against Man United. Trust me if this was Gerrard they would forget the whole incident and would have a laugh about it all. The FA has always hated Man United and always given us crap. Wasn't it them who did not let us defend our FA Cup title after the treble season? Was it not they who banned Rio for comming late to a drugs test and guess what? Adrian Mutu who got caught on illict drugs got a lighter sentence!!!! Was it not the FA who decided to ban Rooney for a red card in a friendly which was from a dive anyways but let Gerrard go who got a straight red for punching Drenthe in the face? I bloody hate this FA :mad:

·
Registered
550 Posts
SALFORD RED said:
Ok lets not be so blinkered about things.

Who established that it was a mistake ???
Us REDS on a forum or us REDS chatting to mates ?
There's certainly been nothing official from any players
or Manchester United.

Cut out the crap in the article and lets see the facts only..

The Manchester United defender kicked tunnel steward Tracy Wray.

She needed hospital treatment for severe bruising to her left thigh.

Disciplinary chiefs are due to examine the evidence
The FA are still investigating.

The Blues have provided a substantial amount of evidence — including CCTV footage — to Soho Square.

The highlighted parts are what really matters.

As to the circumstances of how it happened, none of us know

He has admitted kicking her and it could cost United if he's banned
for any games. Depending on which matches the ban would cover.
I'm not 'blinkered'. :rolleyes:

The original stories about the incident in the press quoted Ferdinand as saying it was completely unintentional and half the text was him saying how sorry he was and that he sent flowers etc.

The bottom line is that no player is stupid enough to kick anyone. Ferdinand of all people is far above such actions.

I'd forgotten about this thing until it resurfaced now. I doubt the camera footage will show any malicious action.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I see that the sun 'forgot' to mention that Rio said a formal apology and sent her a bunch of flowers...

This is what really gets me annoyed about the press, all they seem to mention is 'Rio has made to many mistakes in past' ect, but they orget that Terry and Jodie Morris used to go around night clubs and beat people up!

S

·
0 Posts
ManUtd19 said:
I'm not 'blinkered'. :rolleyes:

The original stories about the incident in the press quoted Ferdinand as saying it was completely unintentional and half the text was him saying how sorry he was and that he sent flowers etc.

The bottom line is that no player is stupid enough to kick anyone. Ferdinand of all people is far above such actions.

I'd forgotten about this thing until it resurfaced now. I doubt the camera footage will show any malicious action.
I think some are reading words that aren't there in what i tried to say.
( not just you MU19, i 'm just using your quote. )

none of us know if it was an accident or if it was deliberate. Which is the truth. None of us were there, none of us saw it, none of us have seen any statements or CCTV footage. We only know what is reported in the news.

Forgot super kung fu star king Eric ?? :eek: :p ;)

·
Registered
550 Posts
SALFORD RED said:
I think some are reading words that aren't there in what i tried to say.
( not just you MU19, i 'm just using your quote. )

none of us know if it was an accident or if it was deliberate. Which is the truth. None of us were there, none of us saw it, none of us have seen any statements or CCTV footage. We only know what is reported in the news.

Forgot super kung fu star king Eric ?? :eek: :p ;)

If the stewardess jeered at the players then good for Rio! :D

Only time will reveal the incident properly.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
SALFORD RED said:
none of us know if it was an accident or if it was deliberate.
Well, actually, after the incident, the reports said that the female steward just laughed it off and said that Rio definitely didn't mean it, and accepted his apology.

If this happens, which may be a big if then I will be furious. The FA are quite clearly anti-Man Utd. Its been proven by several incidents, and this is just the icing on the cake.

marty davidson said:
terry wil get the captians armband anyway
I actually think he will, because I think they would rather have Terry captain than Rio.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Rio is perfect captain material for England,but what happened last season should be seen as so.the steward was ok about whatever happened,so why can't he just get a fine and be left alone,it will start our season off on a bad footing,and yet again one of our players are penalised,what about the fracas on the pitch at chelsea after the game?will they get the same treatment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts