Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys,I can't copy & paste so here's the link!:)

Robert Green has joked he wished Cristiano Ronaldo had got his penalty on target "because I think I would have saved it".

With Manchester United defending a 1-0 lead with just over 20 minutes to play at the Boleyn Ground on Saturday, referee Mike Dean looked to have dashed home hopes of a result when he awarded the visitors a penalty. Green was well-placed to see the handball decision go against Jonathan Spector, and admitted there were few complaints.

"He was really straining his neck and when you are stretching for the ball, you are not controlling your arm," Green said. "It was just unfortunate, but it was one of those things that happens, he didn't mean to do it and there's no point in having a go at him."

That left the spotlight on the England goalkeeper again and having saved three times from the spot this season, the home faithful would be forgiven for thinking it was too much to ask for a fourth - especially when one of the world's leading players stepped up. Cristiano Ronaldo had scored a last-gasp penalty a week ago against Everton and looked sure to do the same again. Green had other ideas, though.

"I have shown him a lot of room to my left," he said. "I then moved that way to try and throw him a dummy that I was going to go to my left. I went to my right and he has missed it with a horrible strike.

"As a professional footballer, you kick thousands of balls every week and sometimes they don't come out right. I would have liked him to hit the target because I think I would have saved it! It is one of them things that happens and for a player of that quality it is surprising."

Green had "no idea" why the Portuguese attacker, who had put United in front in the first half with a firm header that gave the goalkeeper no chance, decided to go for power rather than his usual precision. "You look at the ones he has taken before. He has stopped and looked where the keeper is going. He didn't this time. He took one against Everton at one-all in the 88th minute last week - the pressure was not any greater today. It is just something that happens."

That penalty miss gave the home side the belief they could salvage something from the contest and they duly did through late headers from substitute Anton Ferdinand and his defensive colleague Matthew Upson. "From the first minute, we created the better chances and from there, even though we went behind, we carried on going and pushing on. If you look at the chance count, we have won hands down. You can't really debate that we were the deserved winners."

edit - RD: Done it for you.

·
Banned
836 Posts
red_devils4life said:
This is your typical attention seeking hero, players do this all the time when they become victors against a great team, in this case, Manchester United.
They think they can clock their opposing players but they do it for media attention and frankly I find it quite pathetic, if Robert Green claims to be so good then how come he didn't manage to stop United's goal.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Robert Green, you're a fatty, England goalkeeper wannabe, and you're an attension seeking whore and if given the chance to bum the editor of the Daily Mail, you would because you're gay.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE] FROM GEORDIEMANCUNIAN

grow up. robert green imo should be englands no 1 he hardly puts a foot wrong if he was playin 4 a top 4 side he would b england no1

·
Registered
273 Posts
wow wo wo think thats a bit ott
robert green is a fantastic keeper maby he shouldnt said what he sed but doesnt make him not a great keeper

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Credit to Green. He used one of the most precarious rules in football to his absolute advantage.

Green dived out towards the ball aswell as to his side which is illegal and hence the penalty should have been taken again.

It was a blatant decision.

However Referees hardly ever pull up Goalies for this offence. :)

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
The thing with taking penalties is:

1. Decide where you are going to put it irrespective of what the keeper is doing

2. Do not deviate from that decision.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I cant wait until West Ham concede another penalty, then whoever takes it manages to senf Green the wrong way. Lets see if he if thinks he's so clever then. Spanner

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Daemonic Jackal said:
I cant wait until West Ham concede another penalty, then whoever takes it manages to senf Green the wrong way. Lets see if he if thinks he's so clever then. Spanner
He saved the last 4 penalties he faced which is quite clever isn't it......

N

·
0 Posts
oh really?

And the reason why VDS saved the chelsea penalties during the community shield was becuz i was saying "MISS" in my mind..

shut the f*** up Green.

Z

·
0 Posts
Keano4taoiseach said:
Credit to Green. He used one of the most precarious rules in football to his absolute advantage.

Green dived out towards the ball aswell as to his side which is illegal and hence the penalty should have been taken again.

It was a blatant decision.

However Referees hardly ever pull up Goalies for this offence. :)
On the other hand....Ronaldo "stutters" on his run-up for most penalties which is also illegal.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I don't think there is any law that stipulates "how" a player has to run up to the ball. I saw one player once walk up to the ball, bend over as if to replace it then he kicked it into the net. Goal given.

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Remember Thierry Henry's smart ass side pass to his team mate - who was totally unaware of the plan - the ball rolled maybe 4 feet and no one moved :eek:

Well done Terry 'Enry.......:rolleyes:

Z

·
0 Posts
Rule 14 Penalty Kick: Art. 4: "Once the kicker starts his/her approach toward the ball, he/she may not interrupt his/her movement. Failure to kick the ball as specified shall result in a rekick"

Proof enough? :p

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
-zuco- said:
Rule 14 Penalty Kick: Art. 4: "Once the kicker starts his/her approach toward the ball, he/she may not interrupt his/her movement. Failure to kick the ball as specified shall result in a rekick"

Proof enough? :p
fair enough, so why is that not enforced?

Z

·
0 Posts
Red Devil said:
fair enough, so why is that not enforced?
Why is the rule about goalkeepers coming off their line not enforced? Find me an answer to that and I'll show you a green dog :p

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
^

you never cease to amaze me zuco ;)

The rule about the goal keepers coming off their line is not enforced at all except on occasions when a ref decides to enforce it and we all know what happened when a ref tried that in the last World Cup.
A penalty had to be retaken a few times, not sure how many :eek:

The FA have to either start punishing referees for not acting on this blatant and deliberate infringement or abolish the rule altogether in my humble opinion.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts