Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
West Brom defender Paul Robinson has won his appeal against the red card he received in Tuesday night's 5-0 thrashing by Manchester United.

The full-back was given his marching orders for the ninth time in his career with referee Rob Styles brandishing a straight red after a sliding challenge on Park Ji-sung.

United were leading 1-0 when Robinson was dismissed in the 40th minute, with the Baggies unable to hold out with 10 men and conceding four further goals.

Robinson and his Baggies colleagues were left dumbfounded by the decision and the club launched an appeal against the dismissal and subsequent three-game ban.

The Football Association have now viewed television replays of the incident and decided that the decision should be overturned.

Pictures of the clash showed that while Robinson slid into the challenge with Park, his feet did not leave the ground before making contact with the United midfielder.

Robinson will now be available for selection to Tony Mowbray for Saturday's crunch clash against Hull City at the KC Stadium.
Wrong

Mowbray was delighted to see the Styles' verdict overturned and insisted there was never any malice in the tackle.

He told Sky Sports News: "I think it's good for the English game when there are people who sit on panels and make a judgement in the cold light of day.

"You've got to understand the player. I work with him every day, he tackles like that every day in training with my own players, never mind the opposition.

"I know he didn't want to hurt the boy (Park), I know he wasn't reckless.

"I have my own views, I've got to be careful sometimes straight after games, but I was pretty sure in my own mind Mr Styles got that wrong."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4868631,00.html

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I'm very surprised tbh.

I thought that a straight red could only be rescinded if the FA feel the challenge did not even warrant a yellow card...or have I just made that up? :confused:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
it was a definite red card for me. and when he says he didn't want to hurt park i certainly hope fa didn't take it into account. if it was delibrate then he should be locked up. but he probably got away with it because we were involved

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
reddwarf said:
I'm very surprised tbh.

I thought that a straight red could only be rescinded if the FA feel the challenge did not even warrant a yellow card...or have I just made that up? :confused:
I think it's possible to get a card pushed down to a yellow.

But they haven't even given him a yellow, so they must have thought it wasn't even a yellow :confused:

·
Banned
836 Posts
Tosic to face Liverpool

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has named a strong side for United’s Reserves match against Liverpool at Altrincham’s Moss Lane tonight.

Five of the provisional starting XI have first-team experience, including goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak, midfielder Rodrigo Possebon and Serbian winger Zoran Tosic.

Tosic figured as a second-half substitute for the senior side in the Reds' recent wins over Tottenham Hotspur and West Bromwich Albion, but tonight will be his first start at any level in a United shirt.

Ritchie de Laet, who arrived from Stoke City recently, starts at the back, while Lee Martin makes his first United appearance since returning from a loan spell at Championship outfit Nottingham Forest.

Tonight’s game kicks off at 19:00 GMT and is free for season ticket holders to attend. Otherwise, entry is £5 adults, £2 concessions. The game will also be screened live on MUTV.

Provisional United side:
Kuszczak; Evans C, de Laet, Chester, James; Martin, Possebon, Drinkwater, Tosic; Brandy, Macheda

Subs: Amos, Derbyshire, Eikrem, Petrucci, Bryan

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was at the game and had a really good view of it and i said at the time it was not a red Park was just a bit to quick for him, but from the angle it showed on Sky it did look bad

·
Registered
141 Posts
if it was a utd player the appeal would have failed and the ban extended but because its a no mark west brom player who poses no threat to anyone, he gets off,one rule for the also rans and another for utd

·
Registered
553 Posts
Who cares if he did or didn't leave the ground? His trailing foot hit Park in the stomach before his intended foot hit the ball. It was careless, ruthless and just a poor tackle, whether he intended to inflict damage or not!

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Personally I think the red was harsh. It was a silly tackle but a yellow would have sufficed.
Agree with you Jazz a lot of people on the forum are blowing it completely out of proportion.

·
Registered
141 Posts
in all honesty it looked worse because he was up against park, if it were robinson and vidic going in 50 50 both would have just got back up and got on with it ,park did nothing wrong it was just a mismatch

1 - 14 of 14 Posts