·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Robson offered new United role

Daniel Taylor
Tuesday March 11, 2008
The Guardian

Bryan Robson's chastening experiences at football's sharp end have persuaded him to take a new career path that will see him leave the ranks of out-of-work managers by becoming a global ambassador for Manchester United.
Robson was sacked last month by Sheffield United and the 51-year-old has reluctantly accepted that he is now extremely unlikely to fulfil his desire of establishing himself as a top-class manager.

Instead, the former England captain is prepared to throw off the tracksuit for good and link up with the men in suits at Old Trafford - predominantly Sir Bobby Charlton - in promoting the club's name as a "worldwide brand" in areas such as the United States and Asia.

He will not be invited to join the board of directors but United hope to capitalise on the popularity of a player who was known as Captain Marvel during his 13- year stint, with 461 appearances and 98 goals, under the management of Sir Alex Ferguson and, previously, Ron Atkinson.
Negotiations were described as "at their final stages" last night and a club spokesman said it was hoped an official announcement would be made shortly. "Bryan has played such a tremendous part in our history we would love him to return to Old Trafford to be a part of the club."

Ferguson is understood to have played a key part in the talks after being dismayed to see his former player go through a string of failed managerial appointments. Robson's CV has been tarnished by unhappy spells not only at Bramall Lane but also at West Bromwich and Bradford City. Although he oversaw a relatively successful period in Middlesbrough's history, his seven-year spell on Teesside ended unsatisfactorily, with Terry Venables brought in as head coach to take control of the team.

At Old Trafford, however, Ferguson remains a staunch ally, inviting Robson to help out with coaching during another of his periods of unemployment. United have been looking for former players to help Charlton who, at 70, undertakes most of their ambassadorial duties, clocking up tens of thousands of air miles each year.

The club's directors are conscious that Charlton is at an age when he should be winding down and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, currently on Ferguson's coaching staff, is another hugely popular figure who has been lined up to represent the club on an official basis.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A true legend in my eyes, did everthing a midfielder should do....from marauding down the flanks whipping in inswinging crosses, tracking back to help out in defence regularly, going into one of his rampaging runs into the the opositions' penalty box area & unleashing fierce thunderbolts straight @ goal, Robbo truly epitomises the fantastic character that a United 'Captain Marvel' should always possessed in him!! :cool:

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
The perfect person to take over from Sir Bobby I think.

Its a shame. Would love to see him become a successful manager, but never mind.

Saying he failed at West Brom is a bit harsh mind you. He was the manager of the Great Escape, whether they got relegate the next year or not.

·
Registered
736 Posts
from eurosport....

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed plans are in place for Bryan Robson to become an ambassador for the club.

Ferguson believes his former captain, who left his post as Sheffield United manager last month, would be ideally suited to the role.

Robson, 51, made 461 appearances for United in a 13-season spell between 1981 and 1994.

Ferguson said: "I cannot say anything official at the moment as it has not been finalised but there are plans to involve Bryan as an ambassador.

"I would be delighted with that and be very proud of him as he has been a fantastic captain for me and a fantastic player.

"I think he is the right type of person to be involved in Manchester United."

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Sounds good to me =) Bryan Robson's nickname is Sparky and that is where I got the name sparkic from if anyone really was wondering lol

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sparkic said:
Sounds good to me =) Bryan Robson's nickname is Sparky and that is where I got the name sparkic from if anyone really was wondering lol
Bryan Robson's nickname is Robbo. Sparky is Mark Hughes!! :eek:
LMFAO!! :D :p

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
robbo back where he belongs captain marvel was his main nickname for those into historical accuracy !

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
it's great to see our legends coming back to us..and represent Man Utd. I can't wait till Beckham will do that..if he will;))

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Robbo was one of the best midfielders of his generation.
There was only one man capable of filling his boots and that was Keano.
He was one of the players I really looked up to growing up.
This guy was the most fearless player to ever play imo
and he could run all day long, sweating blood in the process.

Robbo could drink 10 pints the day before training or playing
and still be grand the next day. He out-drunk the likes of
McGrath and Whiteside which takes some doing...

And saying he was a managerial lop was a bit harsh.
He had 'The Great Escape' with West Brom, I was at that
game and it was like the Pompey game (ridiculous) and
he was at Boro when they went through good times.
He brought players like Junihno, Gazza, Merson and Ravenelli
to the club.
Great to see a legend back working for the club.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts