Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having seen him on a few occasions in the Reserves and also in the Carling Cup against Boro, I have to say that I really think that Rodrigo POssebon has a lot of potential.

He's has a very good first touch, was courageous in 1 to 1 situations against Boro, seems calmed and composed and is a good distributor of the ball.

Possebon also has good height on him and can hit the ball sweetly, scoring a few goals from distance since he joined Manchester United in January.

He's now my favourite young player and I have very high hope for this player.

I hope tha he will recover quickly form his injury sustained by Mad Dog Pogatetz and that he will be able to pick up where he left off.

Goal against Birmingham Reserves

Against Blackburn Reserves

Possebon chant

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fergie wants rule changes
United chief wants extra punishment permitted
http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/football-banter/15038-football-beautiful-physical-game.html

Sir Alex Ferguson hopes the Football Association will change their rules to allow extra punishment to be handed out to players red-carded for serious foul play.

Ferguson fumed as Middlesbrough captain Emanuel Pogatetz lunged recklessly at his midfielder Rodrigo Possebon, a challenge for which he was red-carded.

Pogatetz's challenge came off the back of a similar incident which saw Danny Guthrie of Newcastle dismissed for his challenge on Hull's Craig Fagan.

In both cases there were calls for Pogatetz and Guthrie to have their automatic three-match bans extended - but that is not within the rules laid out by the FA.

But Ferguson wants things changing so that in retrospect, players could be banned for longer than just three-matches.

The Manchester United boss has confirmed that he has taken up with the issue with PFA chief Gordon Taylor and hopes the FA consider change the rule at the end of the season.

"I said to Gordon Taylor of the PFA that I don't think the suspensions are strong enough," he said.

"The FA should consider it at the end of the season and act on it.

"But I don't like doing things in the middle of the season because it looks like a knee-jerk reaction."

·
Registered
93 Posts
He would of got quite a few games for the first team imo this season. He's an outstanding prospect who I have no doubt will make it with United.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Haven't seen him much, but when I have I've been greatly impressed.

I think that for him to progress any further, he needs to play in the first team more often, and not just Carling Cup games, but League games, and less important CL games (when we're already through, or are in a great position from the first leg) I said in the Scholes thread that we shouldn't play Scholes as regularly and play Possebon more.

I'm hoping he does get more games, and we can see his ability and potential more often.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Possebon and the Da Silva twins definetly have a lot of potential. The twins are going to be especially fun to watch. See what kind of telepathy these two brothers are gonna use to screw around with the opponents.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
i just hope this challenge didnt put him off english football altogether , because you get no time on the ball here and its easier to look good abroad because its less physical

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
From another blog

Rodrigo Possebon joined Man Utd in Jan/Feb this year shortly before turning 19.
He never played a senior game for Internacional where he was a product of
the ‘categorias de base' and played in the same junior's side as Alexandre Pato.
In 2006, Pato finished as the junior championship top scorer whilst Possebon
captained the side.

Rodrigo Possebon's contract with Inter expired in December 2007, Inter were
very keen to keep hold of him and from what I can gather, he left on quite bad
terms with the club. Inter made several attempts to renew his contract but his
agent was insistent that he would Rodrigo would move to Europe. Inter's
president at the time, Fernando Carvalho is said to of thrown the agent out of his
office! Anyway Inter received R$1 million from Manchester United for the player, a
very nominal figure for a player of obvious potential. His transfer was made
possible as he holds an Italian passport through his father's side of the family.

Possebon initially attracted United's interest when he competed in the 2005 Nike
Premier Cup where he was picked up by their Brazilian scout John Calvert-Toulmin
(who also scouted the twins from Flu).

Even in Porto Alegre, little is known about the player but apparently he's quite tall
and his playing style is very much in the mould of current Inter midfielder Pablo
Guiñazu, an energetic, box to box type player.

It will be interesting to see how he adapts to English football. I think he could be
alright because he has time on side and is not being brought in as a finished
product so is still developing as both a player and person.
http://internacionaluk.blogspot.com/2008/09/former-colorado-possebon-involved-in.html

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
asaf cohen said:
he is going to be breakt. another amazing player in centre midfield. how many have we got now?
  1. Carrick
  2. Scholes
  3. Anderson
  4. Hargreaves
  5. Fletcher
  6. O'Shea
  7. Possebon
  8. Gibson
And according to SAF, Giggs is going to play more centrally and did so against Blackburn yesterday.

Barring injury, Possebon can make the grade and should earn call-ups before Darren Fletcher does.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
He'll have a fight on his hands for his position,but im sure if he's got the quality as has been noted before, he will slot in nicely!!

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Such an inopportune time for him to get banged up. There should be some anti-Pogatetz chants in the making. Fletcher isn't cutting it anymore, and we seem to be lacking creativity in the center of the midfield. Just look how deep Berbatov was dropping against Blackburn.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts