Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brazil legend Romario has announced his retirement from football after 27 years in the game.

The 42-year-old, who has not played for Vasco da Gama since November due to a drugs ban, had revealed last month that he would be finally hanging up his boots at the end of March.

"I am not going to play any more. I have already stopped. I am out of shape,†Romario told O Dia newspaper.

"My last game was a long time ago and it is over for me."

Romario has retired from both playing and coaching and his only footballing involvement will be to help the Brazilian Football Confederation in their preparations for the 2014 World Cup.

"I am not going to return to Vasco. I am not going to work now and they are not paying me but our friendship continues," he added.

"I have talked to the board about my decision. On Sunday I am going to travel to the Caribbean.

"I have made this decision myself. If I had wanted to continue playing I would have returned to Vasco but that is not in my thoughts.

"I want to be with my children and we are travelling a lot. This makes me happy."

Romario has had a glittering career, in which he has also starred for the likes of PSV Eindhoven, Barcelona, Valencia and Vasco da Gama.

Last year he reportedly became only the second player ever, the other being Pele, to hit 1000 goals in professional football, when he scored a penalty for Vasco against Sport Recife.

He was also a star of the Brazil national team, and was at the peak of his powers in 1994 when he largely carried an ordinary team all the way to the World Cup final in America, where they defeated Italy on penalties.

World Class player imo...deserves a mention :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
at last :eek: ......was wondering when he would.....
but he is a great player and done well over the years with his age...
i wish him best of luck in his life......

·
Banned
198 Posts
I don't care. He still scored 1000 professional goals for me and most others. It's an incredible achievement and he is arguably the best player since pele.. easily the most productive. A glittering career across the globe always is worth a mention.

Bet he made a right mint dollar or two along the way :p

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
what a genuis by far one of the greatest goal scorers of all time give him a chance and he would score. I loved the way he made goals look simple just a side foot or a gentle toe poke . When an age when players tried there hardest to score amazing goals romario's goals always had a simpleness about them. For me there has only been brazilian ronaldo who is as good a finisher as romario .

Jazz 16 said:
Bit cheeky of him claiming the 1000 but if you dont ask you dont get.
Romario was one of my fave players and still have his number 10 Barca
jersey he once wore with such distinction. One of the most lethal strikers
in world football.
some of his top goals:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfADNblQorY

couldnt agree more mate finishing was amazing never looked nervous in front of goal .

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Too true bertie...I hve never seen him play in a live match before b'coz I'm to young to for that. Anyway, with all the ppl praising him to the seventh heaven & to score 1000 milestone goals in the top tier of football ain't an easy feat if ue ask me. Also take a look @ the compilation that Jazzy posted. Those are already excellent enough to prove to me how good he actually is!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
red_devils4life said:
Too true bertie...I hve never seen him play in a live match before b'coz I'm to young to for that. Anyway, with all the ppl praising him to the seventh heaven & to score 1000 milestone goals in the top tier of football ain't an easy feat if ue ask me. Also take a look @ the compilation that Jazzy posted. Those are already excellent enough to prove to me how good he actually is!
yeah, he was the most natural finisher I had ever seen play.
If you look at the compilation, the 2nd best goal:the trick and finish were sublime.
He practically invented that trick you see Ronaldihno use.
His third best was an awesome bicycle kick and check out the dummy run
on the compilations top goal.

This next compilation shows how he was THE best ever in 1 on 1 situations
with the keeper. Lethal finisher and well worth a watch. Some better goals
in this than the last one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhjxcKqFfLc

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
He practically invented that trick you see Ronaldihno use.
Ahem, erm...Ronaldinho loves to use aplenty of dazzling & sublime football skills. So which one? Pls specify Jazzy :D :p It applies on if ue say something like, 'You know that goal which Ronaldo scored for United this season?'. And he has scored tons of them this current campaign! ;)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
red_devils4life said:
Ahem, erm...Ronaldinho loves to use aplenty of dazzling & sublime football skills. So which one? Pls specify Jazzy :D :p It applies on if ue say something like, 'You know that goal which Ronaldo scored for United this season?'. And he has scored tons of them this current campaign! ;)
This was the trick that Ronaldihno got off Romario:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzblUQ30P2A
Did you watch the last vid? Some great finishing on it. :)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Oh that trick...it's called the 'Elastico' if I'm not wrong. Anyway, players seem to like imitating tricks from those past, legendary players if u actually care to notice.

Zinedine Zidane imitated Johann Cruyff's 'Cruyff Turn'. To do this move, the person would look to pass or cross the ball. However, instead of kicking it, he would drag the ball behind his planted foot with the inside of his other foot and turn through 180 degrees and accelerate away outside a bemused defender. The trick was famously employed by Cruijff in the 1974 World Cup, first being seen in Holland's match against Sweden, and was soon widely copied by other players around the whole world, most popular is Zidane.

And there's also the 'Rabona'. The rabona is a method of kicking the football whereby the kicking leg is wrapped around the back of the standing leg – effectively with one's legs crossed. It might be use to confuse a defending player, or simply to show off his own ability – as it is considered a skillful trick at any level.
Diego Maradona's the player whom invented it but soon, many players follow suit too.

Tbh, I could do both of them with ease. :D :p

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
I 've already had my say on this subject but im gonna say some more for all you young lads on here who didnt get the pleasure of watchin him play watch jazz youtube link . We were lucky enough to watch him in his prime and he was amazing he to united to pieces in the nou camp back in 1994 when they beat us 4-0 . Can I also make a special request to alex ferguson to get him in as rooney's 1 on 1 coach lol!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts